Kris Richard, Cowboys D-Coordinator, Free Agent DT

cowboyec

Reaction score
I like Colts f/a DT Margus Hunt.
He was on our draft radar out of Smu.
He played well for the Colts...similar system and used in the same way we would.
He's young and shouldn't cost much.
Id still look to draft one also.

I have 0 problem with Danny Shelton or Sheldon Richardson....but if we miss out...Id like to see us get Hunt.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
So then, are you saying Richards is responsible for the best dorm the Rams offense out on us?
Absolutely.....Kris said it was on him himself. KRIS has been calling plays all season. If you are on sites like this you should really already know this.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
I think he may well be right though, at least based on the knowledge we have. Richard certainly took a more active role than someone who isn't the D-Coordinator normally would, but we don't know that he took the lead beyond calling plays. The defensive game plans and what they work on week to week may well have still been directed by Marinelli.
Rod has changed his scheme completely if it was going to help us win. The game that comes to mind the most is 2016 against Greenbay during the regular season. Kris does what he does. We knew that when we played Seattle when he was there and teams know it now when they play us. IMO its obvious that Kris is in charge with all the blitzing we did this pass season; Rod prefers pressure with just his front four and we were always near the lowest ranked teams in blitzes. Rod himself said titles dont matter indicating that was the only thing that would change if Kris became DC by title.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Calling the defensive plays is NOT the same as being the D-Coordinator.
We are running Kris's scheme. All the blitzes ect. As a Cowboys fans when have Rod ever had a game plan to blitz over getting pressure from the front 4? Again Rod himself said titles dont matter because Rod knows that is the only thing that would change if Kris was officially named the DC.

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
I usually check for typos, but I been sick all week and still have some dizziness and focusing problems.
Well that is my excuse anyway. :laugh:

Just playing my friend, I had several the last several posts as well. No big deal but Rob was funny.:muttley:

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Kris is already DC. He ran the defense all season long and this is coming from Kris and Rod. Giving him the title wont affect what the defense looks like next season

I wish this were true.

If you've ever worked for a company/organization with a chain of command, then you must know this is not true.

Richard should be our DC for 2019 though.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
I wish this were true.

If you've ever worked for a company/organization with a chain of command, then you must know this is not true.

Richard should be our DC for 2019 though.
It is very true. Rod is only DC by title alone. Rod himself stated titles dont mean anything to him.

John813

Reaction score
It'll be curious to watch how the Cowboys operate this offseason with regards to DTs.

You got the enigma that is David Irving as an UFA next month.

Then looking forward you have Maliek Collins who will be an UFA next offseason, along with Woods who will be a RFA.

Collins has shown in spurts an ability to be a good 3-tech, but foot injuries have plagued his career/development.
Woods came on strong this year stopping the run while being able to penetrate and not just be a plugger.
Still got Crawford too who can kick inside on obvious passing downs.

I doubt the Cowboys will put any faith in Irving, but they have 2 young DT's on the roster now that will need new deals next year.

Do we try for a McCoy, if cut? Suh? Or do they look through the recycle bin to see if they can find another Woods?
Maybe a player inbetween?

Falco78

Reaction score
I like Colts f/a DT Margus Hunt.
He was on our draft radar out of Smu.
He played well for the Colts...similar system and used in the same way we would.
He's young and shouldn't cost much.
Id still look to draft one also.

I have 0 problem with Danny Shelton or Sheldon Richardson....but if we miss out...Id like to see us get Hunt.
I agree he's not the monster of size but he is good enough and has explosiveness

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
I hope Richard gets promoted. I'm tired of marinelli and that garbage outdated scheme. It's basically having a Kiffin puppet here. Defense only improves if the offense is top in the league in time of possession. Still don't generate alot of sacks or turnovers.

chasecooley5308

Reaction score
I really hope we can draft jeffrey simmons. As a ms state fan ive had the pleasure of watching simmons dominate for the past couple years. Because of a mistake a few years ago he wasnt invited to the NFL combine which may hurt his draft stock. I still dont see him falling to us though. He's a top 10 talent imo and will command a double team.

renny

Reaction score
I'd mostly be curious to know how many snaps he got in the nickel, because that'd be telling as to what he can do as a 1-gap player.

I don't think the Cowboys are averse to size, they're averse to slow. If Shelton can be explosive, then he'll fit. It seems foolish to try to change the type of player you want based on one game.

jrumann59

Reaction score
There are a lot of FA DT’s but only a few worth looking into. Brown, Sheldon and maybe Jarrett if he doesn’t re-up with the Fal-cones.
Jarrett is going to get very close to elite tackle money because there are very few elite tackles.

kskboys

Reaction score
I'd mostly be curious to know how many snaps he got in the nickel, because that'd be telling as to what he can do as a 1-gap player.

I don't think the Cowboys are averse to size, they're averse to slow. If Shelton can be explosive, then he'll fit. It seems foolish to try to change the type of player you want based on one game.
No, they're averse to size. They pass up big guys w/ quickness just as easily as big guys w/o.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
No, they're averse to size. They pass up big guys w/ quickness just as easily as big guys w/o.
No they don't, there just aren't big guys who are quick. Those things are diametrically opposed to one another...you're going to be slower at 330 than at 300.

Antwaun Woods is listed at 318...and they made him lose weight, so he had to have been heavier when they signed him. When he did cut, he turned into a really good football player.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
As athletic as your linebackers are it would be foolish for the Cowboys not to invest in some beef in the middle just to keep those linebackers clean, as an Eagles fan I hope your management continues to disagree.
They kept the LBers clean all year, the Saints game was basically a clinic in that. They do it by being disruptive in the backfield though, not by just eating double teams.

Jaylon praised them for it multiple times..

kskboys

Reaction score
No they don't, there just aren't big guys who are quick. Those things are diametrically opposed to one another...you're going to be slower at 330 than at 300.

Antwaun Woods is listed at 318...and they made him lose weight, so he had to have been heavier when they signed him. When he did cut, he turned into a really good football player.
Simply not true. Effective big guys are exceptionally quick. Wilfork was. Mebane is. Poe is. Goldman is. Reader down in Houston is exceptionally quick at 325. He pushes the pocket and also makes plays and harrasses the QB.