Kris Richard, Cowboys D-Coordinator, Free Agent DT

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by xwalker, Feb 7, 2019.

1. OmerV

OmerV Well-Known Member

10,230 Messages
    7,608 Likes Received
    Red was a DE and I had forgotten about him, but still he wasn’t there after the 2013 Super Bowl season. In any case, I wasn’t trying to say a big DT isn’t an asset, or that the Cowboys don’t need a better anchor against the run, I was just answering the OPs question about whether Richard would be more inclined to get a big DT than Marinelli was, and the answer is that he didn’t seem so inclined as the D-Coordinator in Seattle.

2. kskboys

kskboys Well-Known Member

11,291 Messages
    13,112 Likes Received
    Yeah, Red failed at DT. Didn't succeed until they moved him to DE. He was a little tall for DT at 6-5.

3. kskboys

11,291 Messages
    13,112 Likes Received
    Man, that is one shallow analysis!!!!!!!

First of all, are you seriously trying to rate NT's by counting sacks? Incredibly inaccurate and inept way to rate NT's and DT's in general.

Woods isn't bad, tho he does get washed out at times. I'd love him as a member of a rotation.

You're the one focusing on weight, not me. Generally, you want your NT to be built like a fire hydrant. 6-0/320, or something like that.

However, back to the main point. You want guys to be quick up front on D. Big guys who can both stuff the middle and collapse the pocket are the desired traits. The ones I named have that trait, not sure where you missed that. A guy can weigh around 300 and be able to stuff the middle quite well. Chris Hoke for the Steelers was one such a few years back.

And what we were discussing was how you claimed that big guys aren't quick. The good ones are. Might as well give this one up, you were incorrect in this assumption.

Keithfansince5 likes this.
  4. RayA

RayA Member

93 Messages
    75 Likes Received
    I just want a NT to absorb double teams and anchor the D-Line. If he can get a push, that's a plus.

stasheroo likes this.
  5. Future

Future Intramural Legend

19,892 Messages
    5,311 Likes Received
    No, I'm trying to rate pushing the pocket by sacks, and not just you saying some nonsense about the guy from Houston. No, you are focusing on weight by saying they need a guy who is 330.

Guys who can stuff the middle and collapse the pocket don't need to be 330. There are absolutely 0 DTs in the NFL who are 6'/320 and have the ability to penetrate. Guys that short - Jarrett, Daniels - are around 300.

There is no ideal NT for the Cowboys, because the Cowboys don't use a NT. They have a 1-tech. I didn't miss anything, you're just trying to find players who would fit a defense that the Cowboys don't run, and doing a poor job at it, because you still haven't named any who they passed on because of size.

6. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

50,384 Messages
    47,482 Likes Received
    I'd like to see the passing of the torch be made official, but I'm not holding my breath about it either. I don't know who they thought they were fooling last year, but thus far they seem to want to keep the same charade going. If Richard is OK with it, then I guess I am too. I know who the actual defensive coordinator is.

I think Marinelli is sticking around to coach the defensive line, but from now on, he needs to be told what linemen he's getting to work with, rather than being asked. Asking what he thinks has brought us Henry Melton, Nick Hayden, Stephen Paea, and Joey Ivey. Oh, and let's not forget Taco Charlton instead of TJ Watt. Time to give Pops draft weekend off. "We'll fill you in on Monday!"

I like the idea of a big, physical presence like Shelton inside, and I wouldn't think he would cost too much as a part time, role player. And it would seem that Richard does prefer size inside, as Seattle has predominantly wanted big bodies there.

Another name to watch is Sheldon Richardson. The Cowboys have liked him since the 2013 draft and they nearly traded for him from the Jets, where he ultimately ended up playing for Richard in Seattle. A lot of connections with him.

xwalker likes this.
  7. stasheroo

50,384 Messages
    47,482 Likes Received
    Long overdue for this franchise. Even when they were playing the 3-4, they still had the undersized Jay Ratliff there. We've never had a huge force inside.

8. RayA

RayA Member

93 Messages
    75 Likes Received
    They also had Jason Ferguson, who I felt was undersized.

stasheroo likes this.
  9. Hennessy_King

Hennessy_King Well-Known Member

3,683 Messages
    4,227 Likes Received
    Marinelli sucks. Get him outta here already.

Keithfansince5 likes this.
  10. stasheroo

50,384 Messages
    47,482 Likes Received
    The game passes everyone by eventually, and it may be doing that to Marinelli. It was perfectly clear that the tendencies and tells of his "Rushmen" was the biggest factor in the defense getting killed by the Rams. Richard fell on the sword for it, but the reports and comments made it clear that the tells came from the defensive line, Marinelli's defensive line. And his insistence on sacrificing run defense for pass rush has never paid off enough in sacks and pressures to make up for it.

Like his mentor Monte Kiffin, the game may have caught up and passed him by.

Keithfansince5 and Fredbeard like this.
  11. Hennessy_King

3,683 Messages
    4,227 Likes Received
    Marinelli was never a great coach. He got carried by a hall of fame defensive line.

12. stasheroo

50,384 Messages
    47,482 Likes Received
    I thought he was gikd in Chicago too. But every coach and scheme has an expiration date. I think he's reached his.

And I think he's starting to realize it, and that's why he got so salty after the Rams beat down, he didn't like the fact that he and his defensively line got embarrassed. Now it must feel even worse knowing that it was all his fault, due to his tendencies and tells.

13. Hennessy_King

3,683 Messages
    4,227 Likes Received
    His defense has been embarrassing. Last 2 playoff loses were very very embarrassing for the defense.

14. kskboys

11,291 Messages
    13,112 Likes Received
    Dude, are you on drugs? I'm not the one focused on weight. At all. I'd like for you to find my post and quote it where I said the guy needed to be 330. You have stated that I said that, so I challenge you to find it and quote it.

Woods is a NT. You are one mixed up dude!!!!!!

Ones we passed on due to size: Malcolm Brown, Jon Hankins, Tim Settle, Derek Nnadi, A'Shwan Robinson, Jarran Reed, Javon Hargrave, Tim Jernigan, John Jenkins, Brandon Williams, Bennie Logan, Brandon Thompson

Is that enough to satisfy ur little numnums?!!!

Keithfansince5 and Fredbeard like this.
  15. OmerV

OmerV Well-Known Member

10,230 Messages
    7,608 Likes Received
    How do you know the size of his numnums.

16. kskboys

11,291 Messages
    13,112 Likes Received
    He posted them on line.

17. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

39,754 Messages
    36,716 Likes Received
    Some of those players were on the Cowboys leaked draft boards. Definitely A.Robinson and J.Reed.

18. Future

Future Intramural Legend

19,892 Messages
    5,311 Likes Received
    The op said a player 339

A bunch of those guys are under 310. Others were never really available. I don't know what you're talking about.

Woods isn't a nose, he's a 1 tech. The cowboys do not use a nose tackle ever.

19. GimmeTheBall!

GimmeTheBall! Junior College Transfer

23,548 Messages
    7,431 Likes Received
    Oh. OK

20. kskboys

11,291 Messages
    13,112 Likes Received
    A nose tackle is a defensive player positioned opposite the center. Not sure where you've heard all this stuff, but it's simply incorrect.

Not sure what the OP said any more, but I do know that you are stating I said things that I did not.

All of those players were available to us. Look them up and where they were drafted.

What's up w/ your obsession w/ weight? The leverage needed at NT is more about build.