Kris Richard, Cowboys D-Coordinator, Free Agent DT

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by xwalker, Feb 7, 2019.

1. Fredbeard

Fredbeard Member

49 Messages
    46 Likes Received
    That seems to be the heart of the matter.under rod, the cowboys d-line has only been average.
    I've lost count of the number of times the cowboys have lost games largely because opponent could run the ball against rod's defense almost at will.

stasheroo and kskboys like this.
  2. kskboys

kskboys Well-Known Member

10,068 Messages
    12,013 Likes Received
    It's like we either stop them for a loss or allow a 12 yard run.

Fredbeard likes this.
  3. Fredbeard

Fredbeard Member

49 Messages
    46 Likes Received
    I'm still not over passing on Bennie Logan for Gavin Escobar. The 2013 cowboys draft brings up alot of mixed emotions for me .I was elated when the cowboys picked Travis Frederick.
    I was pissed when escobar's name was called And felt worse when the eagles drafted Logan.
    The 2013 draft could have been great if the cowboys drafted Logan in the second. Instead the rest of the cowboys draft was largely a ****show. My opinion of Jerry as a GM started to change after that draft .
    The cowboys also could have drafted quiton
    Dial in the fifth round. I think they also passed on Daquan jones and Austin johnson a few years later.

kskboys likes this.
  4. kskboys

kskboys Well-Known Member

10,068 Messages
    12,013 Likes Received
    We've passed over a ton of big guys, both in the draft and FA. I was shocked to see anyone claim we hadn't.

Fredbeard likes this.
  5. buybuydandavis

buybuydandavis Well-Known Member

6,298 Messages
    5,434 Likes Received
    Marinelli had made a move toward bigger DTs maybe a couple of years ago. Ash. Brian Price. Both around 320. Now Woods at 318.

There was noise that we were interested in Vea.

Maliek at 3tech, Woods at 1tech make a good sized pair.

6. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

48,230 Messages
    44,163 Likes Received
    Same here, and there's never been any big corresponding increase in the pass rush to make up for going with undersized after thoughts at defensive tackle.

kskboys likes this.
  7. Falco78

Falco78 Well-Known Member

951 Messages
    814 Likes Received
    Reader is very underrated.

kskboys and Fredbeard like this.
  8. Future

Future Intramural Legend

19,582 Messages
    5,086 Likes Received
    Which the Cowboys never do.

9. OmerV

OmerV Well-Known Member

9,144 Messages
    6,835 Likes Received
    Dial hasn’t been anything special. Nor has Austin Johnson, who hasn’t lived up to his second round status. Im glad we took Jaylon Smith instead. As for Daquan Jones, he was taken with the 112th overall pick, and the Cowboys most recent pick before that was the 34th overall pick, which we used on D-Law.

Fredbeard likes this.
  10. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

38,536 Messages
    34,961 Likes Received
    Price was listed at 303 when acquired. He appeared to come to training camp heavier and they ended up cutting him.

Ash was 333 when acquired. He came to camp with a drastic weight loss to the point they started playing at DE in training camp.

Woods weight as been listed anywhere from 300 to 318. He did weight 318 pre-draft but the Titans had him listed at 300. The Cowboys originally listed him at 305 and now have him at 318. When the Cowboys roster has the exact same weight as the pre-draft number, it normally means they just used the pre-draft number. They are notoriously lazy and inaccurate with regards to the public roster. They have a different public roster than what the coaches use. Occasionally the Cowboys media people (Broaddus, etc..) will post a copy of the coaches roster. Woods is 6' tall. You'll rarely see a 3-4 NT that short and most short 4-3 DTs are 3-techs not 1-techs.

buybuydandavis likes this.
  11. Keithfansince5

Keithfansince5 Well-Known Member

2,789 Messages
    2,661 Likes Received
    Odd that not one person mentioned Saunders from Western Illinois in this thread. Yikes. Especially you KSK. He is your prototypical 6' 1" quick, big DT you been screaming for for years.

Khalen Saunders, DT, Western Illinois: Saunders had the first sack of the game, which wasn't a surprise given how well he's performed all week long. He showed his quickness and was disruptive, recording another pressure later in the game. He reminds me of the way Antwaun Woods played for the Dallas Cowboys this season. I can envision Saunders doing similar things at the next level -- he can hold up at the point of attack and give you a little quickness up the middle. He had as good a week as anybody here. -- Daniel Jeremiah

Name: Khalen Saunders
    College: Western Illinois Number: 99
    Height: 6-1 Weight: 322
    Position: DT Pos2:
    Class/Draft Year: Sr/2019
    40 Low: 5.14 40 Time: 5.27 40 High: 5.40
    Projected Round: 3-4 Stock: [​IMG]
    Rated number 11 out of 156 DT's 105 / 2034 TOTAL

Scouting Report:
    Disruptive off of the snap with quick feet and a sudden burst. Able to wreak havoc with his explosion off of the line, using a number of pass rush moves along with agile footwork. Can anchor as well, and has good balance and gets in position and locks down.

Andy Isabella, WR, UMass: He had some drops during the week and was a little disappointing in practice. But like his North squad teammate Jones, he saved his best for last, leading all receivers with seven catches for 74 yards and a touchdown on Saturday. He was good after the catch, putting his toughness on display. The team that drafts him is going to love using him on fly sweeps and bubble screens -- just get the ball in his hands and watch him go. -- Daniel Jeremiah

If we get either of these 2 in the 2nd or 3rd round, that will be a good day as far as I am concerned.

12. OmerV

OmerV Well-Known Member

9,144 Messages
    6,835 Likes Received
    If he is reminiscent of Antwan Woods, why don’t we just keep Antwaun Woods and use the draft pick on someone else?

13. buybuydandavis

buybuydandavis Well-Known Member

6,298 Messages
    5,434 Likes Received
    You got a link for a coaches roster in the last year? When I try to search, I just get links to a list of the coaches. Very annoying that their public roster is such a joke, but it's all I have to go on.

Being notoriously lazy, would they shift back to draft numbers after changing them to camp numbers? Maybe, but also maybe he got bigger again. On Woods, he was looking pretty wide to me. I can believe the teens.

And yes, Marinelli likes the short ones for leverage. We had an even shorter bowling ball in for camp. Don't remember his name. Short and strong means leverage and penetration. Other teams go taller at 1tech because they aren't as focused on penetration as we are.

We actually like long 3techs for pass rush.

14. Fredbeard

Fredbeard Member

49 Messages
    46 Likes Received
    I'm glad the cowboys took jaylon Smith but,
    You can't deny the cowboys have had other
    Opportunities to upgrade the defensive tackle position. I find it curious that you didn't reply to my post in which I brought up Bennie logan. Dial certainly would have been a better pick than b. W Webb or Joseph randle.Either Logan or dial would have likely been a upgrade over nick hayden.the season following the 2013 draft , the cowboys
    Fielded one of their worst defenses in franchise history.i don't know why you and other members refuse to admit the cowboys process on acquiring defensive tackles is flawed.are you going to argue ken bishop and Joey ivie where good picks ?the cowboys could have also drafted grady Jarrett instead of Damien Wilson .

15. Fredbeard

Fredbeard Member

49 Messages
    46 Likes Received
    Dj reader has turned out to be a hell of a player, and so has christian Covington. The cowboys could have drafted them both.lol
    At those who attempt to paint every dt the cowboys have passed on as trash

kskboys likes this.
  16. OmerV

OmerV Well-Known Member

9,144 Messages
    6,835 Likes Received
    I don’t disagree about Logan, and I certainly can’t say the Cowboys have made every effort to acquire that type of player. I’m just saying you can’t just point to random big men in past drafts and automatically assume the Cowboys were wrong to pass on them. I also don’t think you can necessarily condemn a pick based on hindsight knowledge of who worked out and who didn’t. Every team would do things differently in every draft if they knew how things would work out in advance. Taking Escobar over Logan is a bit different in that it wouldn’t have been any more of a stretch to take Logan with the same picks than it was to take Escober, and also because the Cowboys had a demonstrated history of wasting 2nd round picks on TEs they didn’t use.

Fredbeard likes this.