Kris Richard dilemma

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why does he "need" to be the next head coach? I like him but frankly, I think there might be better options out there.

At this point, given where we are, I think I'd like to see them bring in a youngish, offensive minded coach. The next 4-6 years are predicated on how we fix this woeful offense. We need a head coach that has the chops and bonafides to look at our current situation and make the hard decisions about the QB spot - can they resurrect Dak, is it time to cut bait with Dak, etc..............

How do you personally feel about Darrell Bevell? Richard knows him from Seattle and the guy is currently out of work.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Why does he "need" to be the next head coach? I like him but frankly, I think there might be better options out there.

At this point, given where we are, I think I'd like to see them bring in a youngish, offensive minded coach. The next 4-6 years are predicated on how we fix this woeful offense. We need a head coach that has the chops and bonafides to look at our current situation and make the hard decisions about the QB spot - can they resurrect Dak, is it time to cut bait with Dak, etc..............

That's not a hard decision, Dak isn't good.

It's hard to find young and proven coaches. A lot of times coaches will get credit for having good players and not their scheme, play calling, or player development.

It's not easy finding the right coach. Particularly if they are young too.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I think we have a Kris Richard dilemma.

He almost certainly needs to be the next head coach of this team. I would have liked a more experienced head coach, but it probably needs to be him. He has a connection with these defensive players and despite a few positions, they're playing decently well.

The dilemma is that I don't think you can hire a new head coach and then tell them Kris Richard is your defensive coordinator. You just can't do it (Jerry would do it, but it isn't the right move).

So either you elevate Richard or you lose a very talented coach, and maybe the latter is the better move.

Pete Carmichael Jr., Josh McDaniels, and Jim Harbaugh are all very high on my list.

When I think of the lack of experience Richard has, I remember he has a decade of coaching experience compared to the five years experience Garrett had before becoming the head coach. He's also had tremendous success whereas Garrett had not.

My biggest worry with Richard becoming head coach is if he doesn't clean house across the coaching staff.
not if you fire JG and SL now Move Marinelli to Interim HC, Ricard to DC, Moore to OC and let the trastion begin.. see how it goes until after game 16 reevaluate..let the new HC decide who his coordinators are and let KR apply for DC and HC for 2019..

sunalsorises

Reaction score
Maybe you mortgage the draft and get Haskins and bring in Meyer to coach him and Zeke... I don't know...

Didn't Zeke complain about how Meyer used him to the point that he declared for the draft in a presser after a loss?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
not if you fire JG and SL now Move Marinelli to Interim HC, Ricard to DC, Moore to OC and let the trastion begin.. see how it goes until after game 16 reevaluate..let the new HC decide who his coordinators are and let KR apply for DC and HC for 2019..

Marinelli doesn't want and won't accept that job. He's already handing the reigns on defense to Richard and has one foot out the door already. He'd retire before he did that.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
How do you personally feel about Darrell Bevell? Richard knows him from Seattle and the guy is currently out of work.

Former QB and QB coach, as well as a passing game coordinator. He knows the passing game, but outside of his foolish move passing on the goalline, he knows how to use a running back.

Seattle was 21st in rushing yards his first year there. The next year 3rd, 4th, 1st, 3rd, 25th, 23rd. The clear drop off is the loss of Lynch.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Didn't Zeke complain about how Meyer used him to the point that he declared for the draft in a presser after a loss?

That was in ONE game that they lost... where I believe Meyer said he was right about misusing him. It was already going to be his last year there.

tm1119

Reaction score
Make Richard the HC and hire an OC with HC experience to run the offense. I’m sure there’s a few names available and will be more after this off-season. Jim Caldwell comes to mind

CowboysRule

Reaction score
Just because you bring in a new HC doesn't mean you would lose Richard. From what I have seen so far I wouldn't think a new HC would have any problem keeping him on, probably promoting him to DC. He seems to have proven himself in the short time he's been here.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Former QB and QB coach, as well as a passing game coordinator. He knows the passing game, but outside of his foolish move passing on the goalline, he knows how to use a running back.

Seattle was 21st in rushing yards his first year there. The next year 3rd, 4th, 1st, 3rd, 25th, 23rd. The clear drop off is the loss of Lynch.

That's my thinking. And from where I sit, he did a pretty nice job with Russell Wilson as well. And in Minnesota with Adrian Peterson. I'd certainly take him in a heartbeat over Garrett-Linehan if it were my choice.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Marinelli doesn't want and won't accept that job. He's already handing the reigns on defense to Richard and has one foot out the door already. He'd retire before he did that.
Interim for rest of this season, I believe he would, are you his neighbor? you talk to him on the daily? somehow you are in the KNOW with RM and whats in the operation of his mind?

John813

Reaction score
That was in ONE game that they lost... where I believe Meyer said he was right about misusing him. It was already going to be his last year there.

Way I remember it too.

That being said, not sure if Meyer ever goes to the Pros.

DallasDomination

Reaction score
If you hire Josh McDaniels our players won't understand his scheme. It's a bit complicated. Plus he has no problem calling you out.

But hurt players and having to learn in game adjustments on the fly. Yeah that's not happening.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Interim for rest of this season, I believe he would, are you his neighbor? you talk to him on the daily? somehow you are in the KNOW with RM and whats in the operation of his mind?

Are you?

You tell me what's happening with the guy. Is he putting more on his plate? Or less?

Don't get pissy when reality and facts ruins your dream scenario kid.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Are you?

You tell me what's happening with the guy. Is he putting more on his plate? Or less?

Don't get pissy when reality and facts ruins your dream scenario kid.
if JG were fired along with SL and KR got moved officially to DC and Marinelli was asked to take the Interim tag for HC for the rest of the season, I dont see him having an issue with this, its LESS on his plate, just make those 4-5 HC decsions when needed and occasionally help KR if he asks..you nor I have zero idea of what he will or wont do but I cant see a scenario that he has two choices take the job or walk.. in that scenario KR takes it and we make it through 10 games with limited coaching, can it be worse?

AbeBeta

Reaction score
How about Garrett sucks, Richard hasn't proven that yet?

I like Richard. Don't see how he helps the O as HC. But if we lose the next two, it is obvious that Garrett isn't retuning after the bye.

Sydla

Reaction score
That's not a hard decision, Dak isn't good.

It's hard to find young and proven coaches. A lot of times coaches will get credit for having good players and not their scheme, play calling, or player development.

It's not easy finding the right coach. Particularly if they are young too.

It's definitely not easy. And at one point, I wanted a defensive minded coach.

But now I think this organization needs to bring in a good offensive mind and then pair him with a good DC.

A guy I have my eye on is DeFilippo in Minnesota but he's really green (first year as OC) so that makes me a bit nervous. But on the flip side, he would seemingly fit Jerry's mold - young coach who might not make the demands that a veteran coach would.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
if JG were fired along with SL and KR got moved officially to DC and Marinelli was asked to take the Interim tag for HC for the rest of the season, I dont see him having an issue with this, its LESS on his plate, just make those 4-5 HC decsions when needed and occasionally help KR if he asks..you nor I have zero idea of what he will or wont do but I cant see a scenario that he has two choices take the job or walk.. in that scenario KR takes it and we make it through 10 games with limited coaching, can it be worse?

Do you actually think taking an interim HC job would put less on Marinelli's plate? If so, we have nothing else to discuss on the matter because it's obvious that you don't have a clue kid.