Twitter: Kudos to Bret Maher

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It doesn't help that his two misses were at complete inopportune times.

That being said, I like Maher. It was clear Dan had to go and I'm thankful that we're not paying a kicker 7M a year like Pittsburgh.
He's missed a 47-yarder and a 52-yarder on the road.

For a team that plays as many close games as Dallas does, just about any miss is going to look inopportune. His first one was in the 3rd quarter of a 10-0 game. It was unfortunate, but making it would probably not have made any difference: we would have lost by 6 instead of 8. We were never in field goal range the rest of the game, except on our one TD drive.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
He is doing fine, I don't blame that last miss on him at all. The kick was under bad conditions with no help from the coaches to make it easier in the wind.

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
He's missed a 47-yarder and a 52-yarder on the road.

For a team that plays as many close games as Dallas does, just about any miss is going to look inopportune. His first one was in the 3rd quarter of a 10-0 game. It was unfortunate, but making it would probably not have made any difference: we would have lost by 6 instead of 8. We were never in field goal range the rest of the game, except on our one TD drive.
In hindsight though, you can't make any certainty. Making the field goal in Carolina could've shifted momentum and led to some positive play on our end, or at least fired us up to make a big play.

Instead, we missed the field goal and it sucked the momentum from that drive right out from under us. It was especially painful to watch because I was at Bank of America Stadium that game and naturally Panthers fans go: "Betcha wouldn't've released that kicker now!"

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In hindsight though, you can't make any certainty. Making the field goal in Carolina could've shifted momentum and led to some positive play on our end, or at least fired us up to make a big play.

Instead, we missed the field goal and it sucked the momentum from that drive right out from under us. It was especially painful to watch because I was at Bank of America Stadium that game and naturally Panthers fans go: "Betcha wouldn't've released that kicker now!"
It sucked our momentum so much that we scored our only TD of the game on our very next drive.

robjay04

Reaction score
52 yarders outside are tough. Garrett decided to waste those remaining moments rather than help the kid out. He has done that before. That loss 100pct on the idiot coach.

I agree but it’s makeable and that’s what you’re paid for.

The phantom snap infraction didn’t help.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Props to the Front office. We all know Jerry didnt make this call, and why would he.
I honestly think he just cares about the big names, you know he gave the ok to get Amari Cooper for a first. We are one of the better drafting organizations over the past few years, which burns me up even more about the Amari pick.
If we only had this desperation over the offseason as opposed to week 8 in the regular season.

The general manager gave the okay to make the Amari Cooper trade? Holy smoke! What other GM actually has a say in trades? That's unbelievable!

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
We know the FO have their critics, but no question, they got this one right...

I will give Maher a pass on that last miss. Garrett put him in the worse situation and conditions possible that game.

I live in the Maryland area and it was cold and windy as hell that day.

Maher is good but the moment garrett sent him out for the 50+ yard FG I knew he was gonna miss it.

I am pretty sure Garrett felt the same conditions as I being only 5 miles from the stadium and the ******* still settled for the longest FG possible instead of taking a shot or atleast attempting to get closer.

Maher is the real deal. Blame garrett.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I never once bemoaned Bailey's release. It was clear to me, as a spectator, last season that he lost his mojo and that has translated into this season with the Vikings.
same for me , Maher has been good, 17 in a row is good.
Thing is JG needs to get it thru his head that his range isnt as long as bailey was when he was good.
50 + FGs, are 50 50 , especially outside in windy or rainy conditions.

The thing about that game was JG played for a FG and thought 47 yds was ok but it wasnt , with the wind that day,
that was no gimme, and then if a penatly like false start puts them back 5 it is 52.

They ran the clock down wasting time, and didnt get close enough, so it is on JG.

If elliot had only got say 2 yds instead of about 8 on that last run what would they have done then?
then the penalty would have made it about 58 -60 yds and no choice but to try it or a hail mary.

With maher, I think they need to set him up at 45 yd range or closer to have a good shot at making it. especially outside.
In a dome, then maybe 50 is the max.

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
Garrett burning time to make a 52 yard FG for a tie is complete foolishness .

If inept Jason doesn't trust his offense, he then needs to change :
1. The scheme
2. Players
3. OC
4. Playbook
...etc ...

But playing every week with the same game planning, and with the same players while not trusting them to make a 1 yard gain !?

How dumb is that ?

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
******* it, I’ve begged you all to not mention his name.

Didn’t listen and last week he only missed the game tying fg after getting screwed for 15ft by the ref.

Now count on another miss Monday. Thanks.
Maher.
Maher Maher Maher...
MaherMaherMaherMaherMaherMaherMaherMaherMaherMaherMaher...

Maher
Maher Maher
Maher Maher Maher Maher
Maher Maher Maher Maher Maher
Maher Maher Maher Maher Maher Maher Maher

Maher

Did I just end his career?

I HAVE THE POWER!!!!

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
Maher.
Maher Maher Maher...

Maher
Maher Maher
Maher Maher Maher Maher

Maher

I HAVE THE POWER!!!!

Who?

Ekspozed

Reaction score
We’ve been pretty fortunate with our kickers and punters lately . The Aussie punter was really good for us for a while, then straight to Chris Jones who else been really good for us.
Folk was good for us, then Bailey was great for us, hopefully Maher keeps it up.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Maher.
Maher Maher Maher...

Maher
Maher Maher
Maher Maher Maher Maher

Maher

I HAVE THE POWER!!!!
Noooooooooooooooo!!...