Kyler Murray does not like the Cowboys!

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The truth is, most kids in Dallas-Fort Worth are not Cowboys fans these days
Maybe, but I doubt it. I would agree that the percentage is likely not as high as it once was because so many non-Texans are in the area now, and because the exposure to other teams is so much greater than it once was, but the draw of the local team and watching games with their parents is still strong.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Murray is from Dallas and his dad briefly played for the Cowboys in preseason after playing for Texas A&M.

Yeah, Kevin Murray, I remember him. He was with San Fran for a cup of coffee, I remember and then he went off to the Canadian Football League but I don't remember him in Dallas, to be honest.

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He was 1 year old at the time. I'm guessing he doesn't have crystal clear memories of that. From the time he was 4 years old until he entered the NFL the Vikings averaged 8.0 wins per season (the Cowboys averaged 8.6). Obvioiusly he would have grown up with neither team being among the winning teams of that era.
So the Vikings were even more *** than the Cowboys. Who knew?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So the Vikings were even more *** than the Cowboys. Who knew?
In that category, yes, but over those years the teams were pretty similar. Cowboys won slightly more in the regular season, and went to the playoffs one more time than the Vikes, but the Vikes got to the NFC Championship game a couple of times. Overall I wouldn't claim either was better than the other.

erod

Reaction score
Maybe, but I doubt it. I would agree that the percentage is likely not as high as it once was because so many non-Texans are in the area now, and because the exposure to other teams is so much greater than it once was, but the draw of the local team and watching games with their parents is still strong.
Kids today follow players, not teams, for the most part.

It's the Instagram effect.

Last edited:

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score

It's the Instagram effect.

I agree with this. It's really sad too because I feel like it hurts a young person's ability to create their own identities. They just adopt this persons ideals, belief systems and fail to actually develop themselves. Their ability to create there own "self" is impacted. I don't like it much but you can't really do much about it. You try to educate but most don't really want to hear it. Can only hope they realize on their own.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
While I agree kids follow certain players, I don't think following a player necessarily means they don't follow a team. Obviously Murray followed a team.

Often a player may influence the team a kid follows, and who knows, maybe an attraction to Randy Moss or Daunte Culpepper is what drew Murray to the Vikings.

But I don't think it's uncommon for kids to follow a player, but still follow the local team either. For example, almost every kid is a Mike Trout fan, but not every kid is an Angel's fan. I think it's absolutely normal for a Texas Ranger fan to admire Mike Trout, even if they don't like having to play against him.

I also don't think it is uncommon for a kid to follow a player because he is a notable player on the team he is already predisposed to follow. In other words, a kid who is a Cowboy fan might decide Dak Prescott is his favorite player.

Last edited:

Qcard

Reaction score
The truth is, most kids in Dallas-Fort Worth are not Cowboys fans these days
The same can said about the Kids in the DMV. They are not fans of the Washington Constables.

Cowboys, Ravens and Eagles have major youth fans in DMV

erod

Reaction score
While I agree kids follow certain players, I don't think following a player necessarily means they don't follow a team. Obviously Murray followed a team.

Often a player may influence the team a kid follows, and who knows, maybe an attraction to Randy Moss or Daunte Culpepper is what drew Murray to the Vikings.

But I don't think it's uncommon for kids to follow a player, but still follow the local team either. For example, almost every kid is a Mike Trout fan, but not every kid is an Angel's fan. I think it's absolutely normal for a Texas Ranger fan to admire Mike Trout, even if they don't like having to play against him.

I also don't think it is uncommon for a kid to follow a player because he is a notable player on the team he is already predisposed to follow. In other words, a kid who is a Cowboy fan might decide Dak Prescott is his favorite player.
I'm telling you, the "devout" team fan is a dinosaur now. Kids don't live and die with teams like we did. They root for players, not teams. They play video games, and they pick the teams with the best players, then follow those players in real life, too.

Kids live in an Instagram/Snapchat/Tiktok bubble, where everybody is a celebrity and individualism rules all.

That's why today's pros barely acknowledge or listen to their head coaches anymore. Their lives revolve around their brand on social media, and they coagulate together in small groups designed to better each other's brand. Coaches are background noise.

NBA timeouts crack me up now. There's a coach sitting there spouting generic instructions with a team that is barely facing him, let alone looking at him. Teams with superstars are run entirely by their superstars. The coach is just fodder.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm telling you, the "devout" team fan is a dinosaur now. Kids don't live and die with teams like we did. They root for players, not teams. They play video games, and they pick the teams with the best players, then follow those players in real life, too.

Kids live in an Instagram/Snapchat/Tiktok bubble, where everybody is a celebrity and individualism rules all.

That's why today's pros barely acknowledge or listen to their head coaches anymore. Their lives revolve around their brand on social media, and they coagulate together in small groups designed to better each other's brand. Coaches are background noise.

NBA timeouts crack me up now. There's a coach sitting there spouting generic instructions with a team that is barely facing him, let alone looking at him. Teams with superstars are run entirely by their superstars. The coach is just fodder.

lol, this thread is literally about Murray being a Viking fan rather than a Cowboy fan. It's not about Murray being a fan of a particular player on another team, it's literally about him choosing a different team to follow. That's the entire context of this thread, and was the context of my comments within this thread. Clearly Kyler Murray did find a team to latch onto.

But to address your comments, first, I already agreed that kids today are less likely to become devout fans of a particular team, I just don't agree that it doesn't still happen frequently. Clearly it did with Murray ---- again, the topic of this thread --- and I know a lot of kids inMurray's age group, mine included that it happened with as well.

That's not to say kids don't attach to players. My oldest is a huge JJ Watt fan - probably his favorite player. But he is still a dyed in the wool Cowboy fan. Most of his friends were as well.

Go to any professional sporting event. There are boatloads of excited kids wearing merchandise from that team. Of course they are fans of that team. The Cowboys aren't selling out every game and selling boatloads of hats and trinkets and pennants to Brady fans or Aaron Rodgers fans, they are selling them to Cowboy fans, many of whom are Kyler Murray's age and younger.

And think about it - why do kids latch onto a player? It's not just random. It's largely because that player gets a lot of media attention, and they get a lot of exposure to that player in today's world, where there is access to so many media sources. Well, the same thing applies to teams. Kids are still exposed much more to local teams than to teams in other areas, so while that doesn't guarantee a kid will become a fan of the local team, it does create an influence that steers many kids to the local team.

In short, the fact that kids can more easily latch onto a player because of all the hype and publicity today does not prohibit them from developing a loyalty to a particular team. Professional sports would be all but dead if that were the case.

Last edited:

erod

Reaction score
lol, this thread is literally about Murray being a Viking fan rather than a Cowboy fan. It's not about Murray being a fan of a particular player on another team, it's literally about him choosing a different team to follow. That's the entire context of this thread, and was the context of my comments within this thread. Clearly Kyler Murray did find a team to latch onto.

But to address your comments, first, I already agreed that kids today are less likely to become devout fans of a particular team, I just don't agree that it doesn't still happen frequently. Clearly it did with Murray ---- again, the topic of this thread --- and I know a lot of kids inMurray's age group, mine included that it happened with as well.

That's not to say kids don't attach to players. My oldest is a huge JJ Watt fan - probably his favorite player. But he is still a dyed in the wool Cowboy fan. Most of his friends were as well.

Go to any professional sporting event. There are boatloads of excited kids wearing merchandise from that team. Of course they are fans of that team. The Cowboys aren't selling out every game and selling boatloads of hats and trinkets and pennants to Brady fans or Aaron Rodgers fans, they are selling them to Cowboy fans, many of whom are Kyler Murray's age and younger.

And think about it - why do kids latch onto a player? It's not just random. It's largely because that player gets a lot of media attention, and they get a lot of exposure to that player in today's world, where there is access to so many media sources. Well, the same thing applies to teams. Kids are still exposed much more to local teams than to teams in other areas, so while that doesn't guarantee a kid will become a fan of the local team, it does create an influence that steers many kids to the local team.

In short, the fact that kids can more easily latch onto a player because of all the hype and publicity today does not prohibit them from developing a loyalty to a particular team. Professional sports would be all but dead if that were the case.

There are just as many young Golden State Warrior fans in DFW as there are Mavericks fans. Steph Curry has a massive following here.

There are also now a HUGE swath of young Chiefs fans here now, too. That didn't happen back in the day, but it darn sure does now.

I don't know the specifics of why Kyler likes the Vikings, but I'd bet he wasn't a rabid fan. Guys like him play; they don't watch much.

ESisback

Reaction score
I've been getting real therapy since I heard it.
Isn’t your therapy sitting pantless in the Lazy Boy with the AC cranked, adult beverage, rock music blaring, and ******* on the iPad?

HotDog37

Reaction score
Daddy I don't like the Dallas Cowboys!

AppropriateLonelyKoodoo-max-1mb.gif

Boo hoo Kyler I hope we beat you like a drum.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Ive always said the Cowboys are the only team that you either love them or you hate them. Very rarely will you get someone who says their ok. When a team like the Cowboys isnt very good and they are over hyped every year that can make any player in the league laugh and want to kick their butt!