La’el ejection play clarification

Proof

Reaction score
can someone breakdown what happened?

it was third down, WAS got called for offsides and DAL converted the first down, and La’el got the unsportsmanlike like conduct flag. How did the result wind up being 3 and 25?

I did notice when the refs announced it they said the offsides was “declined by rule”. Assuming that’s because they converted the first?

seems like the only two outcomes should have been either offsetting penalties resulting in replaying the down,

or 1st and 25 for converting the play and then having the penalty yardage tacked on.

Anyone know? @MarcusRock

Last edited:

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
It seems like they make up **** as they go. Should've probably been a late hit personal foul on WFT, and even with Collins' fight, it was after the play so it should've been tacked on after the 1st. Should've been 1st and 25 IMO, but who the F knows.

MarcusRock

Reaction score

it was third down, WAS got called for offsides and DAL converted the first down, and La’el got the unsportsmanlike like conduct flag. How did the result wind up being 3 and 25?

I did notice when the refs announced it they said the offsides was “declined by rule”. Assuming that’s because they converted the first?

seems like the only two outcomes should have been either offsetting penalties resulting in replaying the down,

or 1st and 25 for converting the play and then having the penalty yardage tacked on.

Anyone know? @MarcusRock

RULE 14
SECTION 5 FOULS BY BOTH TEAMS (DOUBLE FOULS)

ARTICLE 1. DOUBLE FOUL WITHOUT CHANGE OF POSSESSION. If there is a Double Foul (3-14-1-e) during a down in which
there is not a change of possession, the penalties are offset, and the down is replayed at the previous spot. If it is a scrimmage
down, the number of the next down and the line to gain is the same as for the down in which the fouls occurred.

Exceptions:

(1) If one or more fouls by one team includes a 15-yard penalty, and the penalty for the foul or fouls committed by the other
team is for a five-yard penalty without an automatic First Down, a loss of down, or a 10-second runoff (15 yards versus
five yards), or that is not a spot foul,
the 15-yard penalty is enforced from the previous spot, and the five-yard penalty is
disregarded
. Five vs. 15 enforcement cannot be declined by the team that committed the minor foul, except as described
in (2) below. See 4-8-2-h and 14-4-9-Item 3-Exc. 1 for dead ball fouls at the end of a half.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
It seems like they make up **** as they go. Should've probably been a late hit personal foul on WFT, and even with Collins' fight, it was after the play so it should've been tacked on after the 1st. Should've been 1st and 25 IMO, but who the F knows.

:hammer:.......League changes from week to week to keep games competitive.....and Vegas happy. Goodell should rot in hell for allowing gambling into the league.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score

Anyone know? @MarcusRock

The red card was legitimate because he threw a punch. However, I felt the other calls were rubbish. 1. Because it was a deadball foul, I think the 1st down should have stood. Even without that though, Dak was hit late out of bounds. Therefore, it should have been a penalty on Washington as well. Thus, the fouls should have balanced out. Should be either a repeated down or a first down for us.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Anyone know? @MarcusRock

Sure.............it was another case of an idiot like Collins doing something stupid and getting penalized for it.

And then the homers on this forum trying every way they can to make it seem like the refs and the league are out to get us. LOL

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
The red card was legitimate because he threw a punch. However, I felt the other calls were rubbish. 1. Because it was a deadball foul, I think the 1st down should have stood. Even without that though, Dak was hit late out of bounds. Therefore, it should have been a penalty on Washington as well. Thus, the fouls should have balanced out. Should be either a repeated down or a first down for us.
You got it right

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It should have been a first down, then a penalty after the play. Unless they have some obscure rule against is for a continuous play.

The other possibility was they determined the pass was incomplete.
Where was the ball placed after the penalty 15 yards from the catch or the previous spot.
If from the catch then it should have been a 1st down.

And why did MM or someone not question it?

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score

Anyone know? @MarcusRock
Let me pull a rabbit out of my hat real quick. A personal foul after the play means the play still stands. An unsportsmanlike conduct after the play negates the play all together.

Comprende?