La'el Collins deal details

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by TwentyOne, Sep 4, 2019.

1. TwentyOne

TwentyOne Well-Known Member

5,136 Messages
    1,691 Likes Received
    Mods: if this is a repost feel free to delete or merge.

Guys, here you can look up the details of Collins deal: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/lael-collins-17403/

I personally can't believe we signed him to that kind of team friendly deal.

We essentially converted his 2019 salary into the signing bonus. And 2020 and 2021 are gimmies for a good RT. Our potential out is 2022 but i guess even with the money he gets in the last 3 years (which will be a bargain then) we will keep him.

It seems Collins really appreciated the trust JJ and the franchise put in him when nobody else was willing to sign him. And the way JJ treated him to make him sign his rookie deal. Heck, he invited him in his own home and made him have his own private draft presentation. Collins gave this back to us.

Collins is not about the money. I love this guy. Happy to have him around for a longer time now.

This is a great deal and i still have a smile in my face when i look at those numbers. I take my hat to Collins and the FO to make this so team friendly!

Rainy, CF74, RJ_MacReady and 15 others like this.
  2. Mr_C

Mr_C Carharris2

8,951 Messages
    9,296 Likes Received
    Requesting some cap analysts to tell us where the Cowboys are cap wise and where they’ll be after Dak is signed.

Signing bonuses and salaries as they relate to cap hits each year can be very complicated.

@Nightman haven’t heard from you in a while on the cap.

Or anyone else available. @adam3313 doesn’t post much here anymore because someone was acting like a real d*** towards him. Thanks

Rainy, CF74, RJ_MacReady and 2 others like this.
  3. bbailey423

bbailey423 Well-Known Member

6,329 Messages
    2,679 Likes Received
    "Collins is not about the money...I love this guy..happy to have him around for a longer time"

Some if you all....I don't get it. But there is a lot if things going on in this country right now that I don't get...so just add a statement like this too the list!

Typhus and Longboysfan like this.
  4. TwentyOne

5,136 Messages
    1,691 Likes Received
    Well, what country are you talking about?

5. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

54,605 Messages
    88,399 Likes Received
    Broaddus says Collins is a 15 million a year RT. That's what he would have gotten on the open market.

I probably should add Broaddus is a team employee.

RJ_MacReady, EMMITTnROY and aikemirv like this.
  6. JoeKing

JoeKing Diehard Zone Supporter

16,654 Messages
    13,427 Likes Received
    Good for both sides.

Longboysfan, TwentyOne and stasheroo like this.
  7. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

55,980 Messages
    57,473 Likes Received
    It's effectively three years of security for the player followed by three years of club option. About as fair as it gets.

8. Aerolithe_Lion

Aerolithe_Lion Well-Known Member

3,615 Messages
    3,106 Likes Received
    I would fight anybody with knives who said their RT was better than Lane Johnson. But if he wanted 15m$ for his next deal, Im calling up Houston for the rest of their draft picks.

Seth5545 likes this.
  9. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

12,399 Messages
    5,809 Likes Received
    There was never a point where no one was willing to sign him. All 32 teams passed on him and he immediately became the most sought after rookie free agent ever.

darthseinfeld likes this.
  10. Ranching

Ranching Well-Known Member

22,129 Messages
    57,559 Likes Received
    We use guns in Texas.

11. conner01

conner01 Well-Known Member

12,776 Messages
    9,962 Likes Received
    We’ve made some nice deals that are reasonably team friendly with our young guys
    The stars are always drama but in the end I think it all works our

TwentyOne and stasheroo like this.
  12. CowboysRule

CowboysRule Well-Known Member

799 Messages
    1,581 Likes Received
    Did he say something along the lines of if he wasn't drafted in the first round he wouldn't sign with whatever team picked him basically ensuring he would be an UDFA?

Kaiser and TwentyOne like this.
  13. stasheroo

55,980 Messages
    57,473 Likes Received
    They seem to be. The deals aren't quite happening as timely as I and other fans might wish for, but they are happening. And we've also gotten some unexpected deals don with guys like Jaylon Smith and La'el Collins as well.

TwentyOne likes this.
  14. Aerolithe_Lion

Aerolithe_Lion Well-Known Member

3,615 Messages
    3,106 Likes Received
    Then you’ve never LIVED. Meet someone who’s lost limbs from knife fights, then you’ll know the truth about human capacity.

15. TwentyOne

5,136 Messages
    1,691 Likes Received
    The draft is what i referred to.

16. Ranching

Ranching Well-Known Member

22,129 Messages
    57,559 Likes Received
    Unfortunately, I know one that was decapitated with a knife at a party because of a girl. I don't fight with knives, because I want to live!!

CF74 likes this.
  17. Cowboys22

Cowboys22 Well-Known Member

8,767 Messages
    8,489 Likes Received
    I heard on the radio last night that Collins said durning camp that he didn’t want to leave. He loves it in Dallas. It’s close to home and he is settled in. When the team said they were open for business for anyone, he went in and said he wanted to stay in Dallas and they worked out the deal fairly quickly. The guy telling the story said he talked to Collins recently and he knows he gave up money but wanted the security and to stay in Dallas more.

18. stasheroo

55,980 Messages
    57,473 Likes Received
    I can't help but to think that Byron Jones could get a deal similar to this one of he also really likes it here and wants to stay.

$10 million a year with some security to stay here, or potentially $15 million a year to leave and play somewhere else.

TwentyOne likes this.
  19. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

95,163 Messages
    20,868 Likes Received
    I have to admit I was thrown off by this contract. I really thought they would just allow him to get FA market

stasheroo and TwentyOne like this.
  20. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

31,884 Messages
    7,483 Likes Received
    The reason why we signed a relatively team friendly deal is that we treated him right.

At the earliest point where Jerry could give him a new deal - his 2nd year, we gave Collins a new 2 year contract that made up for the money he'd list by not getting drafted.

I'm sure his agent made clear that expectation to interested teams. Being able to get a new deal after 2 years is exactly why his agent told teams not to draft him after day 2 of the draft came and went.

TwentyOne likes this.