La'el Collins deal details

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Did he say something along the lines of if he wasn't drafted in the first round he wouldn't sign with whatever team picked him basically ensuring he would be an UDFA?

There was more flexibility in being an UDFA, however, once he went undrafted, just about every team reached out

CCBoy

Reaction score
Mods: if this is a repost feel free to delete or merge.

Guys, here you can look up the details of Collins deal: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/lael-collins-17403/

I personally can't believe we signed him to that kind of team friendly deal.

We essentially converted his 2019 salary into the signing bonus. And 2020 and 2021 are gimmies for a good RT. Our potential out is 2022 but i guess even with the money he gets in the last 3 years (which will be a bargain then) we will keep him.

It seems Collins really appreciated the trust JJ and the franchise put in him when nobody else was willing to sign him. And the way JJ treated him to make him sign his rookie deal. Heck, he invited him in his own home and made him have his own private draft presentation. Collins gave this back to us.

Collins is not about the money. I love this guy. Happy to have him around for a longer time now.

This is a great deal and i still have a smile in my face when i look at those numbers. I take my hat to Collins and the FO to make this so team friendly!
Collins has an attitude similar to Erik Williams/Marc Columbo...and his Mother loves the Cowboys/Jerry. This fan loves that snapshot.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Unfortunately, I know one that was decapitated with a knife at a party because of a girl. I don't fight with knives, because I want to live!!

Everyone in a knife fight...gets cut. If on the street...run, until there is no alternative. Then, don't finish second place.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

Guys, here you can look up the details of Collins deal: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/lael-collins-17403/

We essentially converted his 2019 salary into the signing bonus. And 2020 and 2021 are gimmies for a good RT. Our potential out is 2022 but i guess even with the money he gets in the last 3 years (which will be a bargain then) we will keep him.

It seems Collins really appreciated the trust JJ and the franchise put in him when nobody else was willing to sign him. And the way JJ treated him to make him sign his rookie deal. Heck, he invited him in his own home and made him have his own private draft presentation. Collins gave this back to us.

Collins is not about the money. I love this guy. Happy to have him around for a longer time now.

This is a great deal and i still have a smile in my face when i look at those numbers. I take my hat to Collins and the FO to make this so team friendly!

I agree that it looks like a very good deal for the team, which doesn't have to stay tied to him if he doesn't improve.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Collins is overrated in my book, but it's hard not to like a guy who wants to be here and who takes a discount to do it.

I'm not sure he's overrated. No one considers him to be a Pro Bowl tackle and many don't think he's any good at all. I think he's better than some do but mainly just serviceable right now ... decent enough to start but not good enough yet that you don't continue looking for an upgrade. Hopefully, he continues to grow into the role and becomes more than that since we've got the opportunity for him to be here for several years.

If his ceiling is Doug Free, I can live with that even though I'd like to have better than that. (I don't think he's as good of a run blocker as Free was yet, but he's slightly better as a pass protector.)

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
"Collins is not about the money...I love this guy..happy to have him around for a longer time"

Some if you all....I don't get it. But there is a lot if things going on in this country right now that I don't get...so just add a statement like this too the list!
Its refreshing to see a player realize the investment by the franchise.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Requesting some cap analysts to tell us where the Cowboys are cap wise and where they’ll be after Dak is signed.

Signing bonuses and salaries as they relate to cap hits each year can be very complicated.

@Nightman haven’t heard from you in a while on the cap.

Or anyone else available. @adam3313 doesn’t post much here anymore because someone was acting like a real d*** towards him. Thanks

The 2019 cap is not important. They can restructure other contracts to make 2019 work.

There will be 9 big contracts once Dak and Cooper are re-signed.
  • Dak Prescott
  • Demarcus Lawrence
  • Amari Cooper
  • Ezekiel Elliott
  • Zack Martin
  • Jaylon Smith
  • Tyron Smith
  • La'el Collins
  • Travis Frederick

If all of the players below can be replaced with young players, then the cap should be OK for the next few years.
  • Byron Jones
  • Maliek Collins
  • Anthony Brown
  • Tyrone Crawford
  • Robert Quinn
  • Randall Cobb
  • Jason Witten
  • Sean Lee
If they give big contracts to B.Jones or M.Collins then the cap situation gets really tight over the next few years.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm not sure he's overrated. No one considers him to be a Pro Bowl tackle and many don't think he's any good at all. I think he's better than some do but mainly just serviceable right now ... decent enough to start but not good enough yet that you don't continue looking for an upgrade. Hopefully, he continues to grow into the role and becomes more than that since we've got the opportunity for him to be here for several years.

If his ceiling is Doug Free, I can live with that even though I'd like to have better than that. (I don't think he's as good of a run blocker as Free was yet, but he's slightly better as a pass protector.)

Collins was better in 2018 than Doug Free.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Did he say something along the lines of if he wasn't drafted in the first round he wouldn't sign with whatever team picked him basically ensuring he would be an UDFA?

The rumor was that after he dropped out of the top rounds his agent said he would hold out a year if he was drafted in the later rounds. Then the agent cut the best deal he could on his rookie contract, along with a handshake deal with Jerry that Collins would get an extension as soon as possible (his third year). Jerry honored that and gave him the extension that paid him 10 Million over 2017 and 2018.

waldoputty

Reaction score

nice deal

Reid1boys

Reaction score

Thats not exactly how things went down. Once Collins was not drafted high, his agent let all teams know that if you draft Collins mid/late rounds... he will NOT sign with you. He was then undrafted and could sign with whom he wanted. This kept him from having a 4 year deal if I remember correctly... it wasnt as if nobody was going to take a chance on him... he was able to just sign with who he wanted to sign once he went undrafted.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Collins was better in 2018 than Doug Free.

Free didn't play in 2018.

But seriously, it depends on what year you look at. For example, in 2014, Free allowed 3 sacks and in 2015, he allowed 4. He also committed four penalties (three holds) in 2014 and 9 penalties (1 hold and a bunch of false starts) in 2015.

Collins allowed 5 sacks and committed 8 penalties (4 holds) last year and 5 sacks and 4 penalties (three holds) the year before. Those two years were not better than Free's best.

If you want to go by Free's worst, then I agree, but I know you always see Free in the worst light possible because of your love for Jermey Parnell.

Last edited:

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Thats not exactly how things went down. Once Collins was not drafted high, his agent let all teams know that if you draft Collins mid/late rounds... he will NOT sign with you. He was then undrafted and could sign with whom he wanted. This kept him from having a 4 year deal if I remember correctly... it wasnt as if nobody was going to take a chance on him... he was able to just sign with who he wanted to sign once he went undrafted.

Again, i was talking about the draft.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Collins is overrated in my book, but it's hard not to like a guy who wants to be here and who takes a discount to do it.

This is from the Jon Machota article on The Athletic today -

Collins said Monday that picking the Cowboys was one of the best decisions he’s ever made. He believes his relationship with offensive line coach Marc Colombo and his offensive line teammates “prolonged [his] career.”

“I wouldn’t trade it for the world,” he added.

JBell

That's still my Quarterback
Reaction score

There were a lot of suitors IIRC for Collins after the draft. Tyron, Zack and Fred all recruited him to come here.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Free didn't play in 2018.

But seriously, it depends on what year you look at. For example, in 2014, Free allowed 3 sacks and in 2015, he allowed 4. He also committed four penalties (three holds) in 2014 and 9 penalties (1 hold and a bunch of false starts) in 2015.

Collins allowed 5 sacks and committed 8 penalties (4 holds) last year and 5 sacks and 4 penalties (three holds) the year before. Those two years were not better than Free's best.

If you want to go by Free's worst, then I agree, but I know you always see Free in the worst light possible because of your love for Jermey Parnell.

Yes, Collins is not as good as Parnell was in 2014...

Pass Blocking
  • They have Zack Martin shade over towards Free.
  • This minimized the ability of the DE to rush inside of Free.
  • Free could then over-set to the outside which gave him an advantage.
  • Frederick would often help to the right to compensate for Martin compensating for Free.
  • Ron Leary rarely got help from Frederick because of Free.
  • Basically any pressure or sacks given up by Leary were the fault of Doug Free.

Free was a horribly weak run blocker. Bill Callahan managed to scheme around it to the point that he occasionally "looked" good in run blocking.

Run Blocking
  • Callahan schemed to have Free block LBs instead of DEs on many run plays.
  • Free would often do a quick help block with the RG and then kick out to block a LB.
    • They would at times use 2 TEs to double the DE.
    • Other times they would pull the backside OG to block the DE.
  • When he was required to block DEs, the run play was designed such that Free just had to get in the way.
    • On plays where the DE obviously had outside contain responsibility...
    • Free would let the DE jump outside, then Free just had to get in the way for a split second as they ran inside.

When Parnell played they would often run power right with Parnell and Martin annihilating defenders.

They ran right 3x more often when Parell played than when Free played in 2014.