La'el Collins deal details

Sydla

Reaction score
The 2019 cap is not important. They can restructure other contracts to make 2019 work.

There will be 9 big contracts once Dak and Cooper are re-signed.
  • Dak Prescott
  • Demarcus Lawrence
  • Amari Cooper
  • Ezekiel Elliott
  • Zack Martin
  • Jaylon Smith
  • Tyron Smith
  • La'el Collins
  • Travis Frederick

If all of the players below can be replaced with young players, then the cap should be OK for the next few years.
  • Byron Jones
  • Maliek Collins
  • Anthony Brown
  • Tyrone Crawford
  • Robert Quinn
  • Randall Cobb
  • Jason Witten
  • Sean Lee
If they give big contracts to B.Jones or M.Collins then the cap situation gets really tight over the next few years.

Lee is probably not long for this world. Neither is Witten. Crawford is likely done soon too.

I think Jones is gone. If he has a big year again, he's going to ask for elite CB money and this team simply won't have the cap capital to do that unless they start restructuring.

The two names that interest me are M Collins and Quinn. The logic has always been that Hill was drafted to take over for Collins. But if Collins has a big year and Hill struggles adapting as a rookie, what are you going to do at the 3T? Let Collins walk over money and keep your fingers crossed Hill can figure it out in Year 2? And if Quinn has a big year, it's going to be tough to just let him walk as well.

Look at your list of 9 biggest contracts............... 7 would be on offense. Imbalance reigns and the reality is this team may have to once again skimp on defense to handled the bloated offensive contracts on their books.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes, Collins is not as good as Parnell was in 2014...

Pass Blocking
  • They have Zack Martin shade over towards Free.
  • This minimized the ability of the DE to rush inside of Free.
  • Free could then over-set to the outside which gave him an advantage.
  • Frederick would often help to the right to compensate for Martin compensating for Free.
  • Ron Leary rarely got help from Frederick because of Free.
  • Basically any pressure or sacks given up by Leary were the fault of Doug Free.

Free was a horribly weak run blocker. Bill Callahan managed to scheme around it to the point that he occasionally "looked" good in run blocking.

Run Blocking
  • Callahan schemed to have Free block LBs instead of DEs on many run plays.
  • Free would often do a quick help block with the RG and then kick out to block a LB.
    • They would at times use 2 TEs to double the DE.
    • Other times they would pull the backside OG to block the DE.
  • When he was required to block DEs, the run play was designed such that Free just had to get in the way.
    • On plays where the DE obviously had outside contain responsibility...
    • Free would let the DE jump outside, then Free just had to get in the way for a split second as they ran inside.

When Parnell played they would often run power right with Parnell and Martin annihilating defenders.

They ran right 3x more often when Parell played than when Free played in 2014.

What's the story with your man Parnell anyway? Is he signed anywhere? Is he retired?

Reaction score
I heard on the radio last night that Collins said durning camp that he didn’t want to leave. He loves it in Dallas. It’s close to home and he is settled in. When the team said they were open for business for anyone, he went in and said he wanted to stay in Dallas and they worked out the deal fairly quickly. The guy telling the story said he talked to Collins recently and he knows he gave up money but wanted the security and to stay in Dallas more.
How refreshing.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What's the story with your man Parnell anyway? Is he signed anywhere? Is he retired?
Bad Knee.

He ended last season on IR after a knee injury.

He was not healthy enough to pass a physical in the March/April time frame.

He is already 33 years old. I don't know if he'll try to play again.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Lee is probably not long for this world. Neither is Witten. Crawford is likely done soon too.

I think Jones is gone. If he has a big year again, he's going to ask for elite CB money and this team simply won't have the cap capital to do that unless they start restructuring.

The two names that interest me are M Collins and Quinn. The logic has always been that Hill was drafted to take over for Collins. But if Collins has a big year and Hill struggles adapting as a rookie, what are you going to do at the 3T? Let Collins walk over money and keep your fingers crossed Hill can figure it out in Year 2? And if Quinn has a big year, it's going to be tough to just let him walk as well.

Look at your list of 9 biggest contracts............... 7 would be on offense. Imbalance reigns and the reality is this team may have to once again skimp on defense to handled the bloated offensive contracts on their books.

I would also keep in mind that the list essentially contains proven, Pro Bowl caliber talent, save for La'el Collins I think. Other than him, I think all of the other offensive players have made it at one point or another.
  • Dak Prescott
  • Demarcus Lawrence
  • Amari Cooper
  • Ezekiel Elliott
  • Zack Martin
  • Jaylon Smith
  • Tyron Smith
  • La'el Collins
  • Travis Frederick
The point being that I don't have an issue paying proven talent, whichever side of the ball they play on. You're either worth it, or you're not. Acquisition of talent does not fall within an offense or defense division, therefore contracts shouldn't either.

Verdict

Reaction score
The 2019 cap is not important. They can restructure other contracts to make 2019 work.

There will be 9 big contracts once Dak and Cooper are re-signed.
  • Dak Prescott
  • Demarcus Lawrence
  • Amari Cooper
  • Ezekiel Elliott
  • Zack Martin
  • Jaylon Smith
  • Tyron Smith
  • La'el Collins
  • Travis Frederick

If all of the players below can be replaced with young players, then the cap should be OK for the next few years.
  • Byron Jones
  • Maliek Collins
  • Anthony Brown
  • Tyrone Crawford
  • Robert Quinn
  • Randall Cobb
  • Jason Witten
  • Sean Lee
If they give big contracts to B.Jones or M.Collins then the cap situation gets really tight over the next few years.

While I agree with your post, I could envision a scenario where Amari is not resigned, depending on what Gallop does this season. I think Gallop is going to have a huge year.

Verdict

Reaction score

Dorance Armstrong may make Quinn expendable.

Sydla

Reaction score
I would also keep in mind that the list essentially contains proven, Pro Bowl caliber talent, save for La'el Collins I think. Other than him, I think all of the other offensive players have made it at one point or another.
  • Dak Prescott
  • Demarcus Lawrence
  • Amari Cooper
  • Ezekiel Elliott
  • Zack Martin
  • Jaylon Smith
  • Tyron Smith
  • La'el Collins
  • Travis Frederick
The point being that I don't have an issue paying proven talent, whichever side of the ball they play on. You're either worth it, or you're not. Acquisition of talent does not fall within an offense or defense division, therefore contracts shouldn't either.

See, I disagree. If you load up on all your "pro bowl" talent but still leave holes elsewhere, you have a flawed team.

Yes, I get they are unique, but New England has little fear in letting all pro level talent go either via FA or in a trade if things start to get out of balance. In some cases, if guys get too expensive, they just look for cheaper alternatives.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

They could do another 1 year, 8M for Quinn. It's the longer term contracts that will be the most difficult.

If Collins didn't have a history of foot issues, then I would say they really need to find a way to keep him; however, a big contract for him would be a risk even if he stays healthy this season.

The Kris Richard scheme is perfect for Byron Jones. It would be smart for Jones to attempt to work out a team friend deal to stay.

If they can't keep Jones, then they should pay Brown. He'll cost half as much but he is a solid player.

Teams get to use both the Franchise Tag and the Transition Tag in 2020 because it's the final year of the CBA.

Normally teams don't use the transition tag because then they can't use the Franchise Tag.

They could Franchise Jones for a year and Transition Tag Collins.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
See, I disagree. If you load up on all your "pro bowl" talent but still leave holes elsewhere, you have a flawed team.

Or more accurately, a really talented one.

Yes, I get they are unique, but New England has little fear in letting all pro level talent go either via FA or in a trade if things start to get out of balance. In some cases, if guys get too expensive, they just look for cheaper alternatives.

New England is the exception to every rule. Nothing they do matches the 'norms'. If we were trying to copy their model, we wouldn't have paid anybody. First and foremost our offensive line.

I have no problem paying to keep our best players. I'm not fixated on which side of the ball they play on, only whether or not they're actually proven worthy of the money they're being paid.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

When the top 10 contracts get really expensive, the squeeze happens on the contracts from about 11 to 20.

There is not really enough "meat on the bone" with contracts 21 to 53 to really squeeze anything from there.

The luxury of having a player like Sean Lee in the 11 to 20 contract range will disappear with the top 10 getting so expensive.

The same for Witten, Cobb, etc..

Sydla

Reaction score
They could do another 1 year, 8M for Quinn. It's the longer term contracts that will be the most difficult.

If Collins didn't have a history of foot issues, then I would say they really need to find a way to keep him; however, a big contract for him would be a risk even if he stays healthy this season.

The Kris Richard scheme is perfect for Byron Jones. It would be smart for Jones to attempt to work out a team friend deal to stay.

If they can't keep Jones, then they should pay Brown. He'll cost half as much but he is a solid player.

Teams get to use both the Franchise Tag and the Transition Tag in 2020 because it's the final year of the CBA.

Normally teams don't use the transition tag because then they can't use the Franchise Tag.

They could Franchise Jones for a year and Transition Tag Collins.

On board with you on Collins but if you let him walk and Hill isn't ready, you are in a world of hurt at the 3T.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
While I agree with your post, I could envision a scenario where Amari is not resigned, depending on what Gallop does this season. I think Gallop is going to have a huge year.
That won't happen. They didn't give up a 1st round pick to not re-sign Cooper. Stephen Jones has basically said that.

If they sign Dak either this season or before free agency starts next year, then they can Franchise Cooper if needed.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
On board with you on Collins but if you let him walk and Hill isn't ready, you are in a world of hurt at the 3T.
The Transition Tag for DTs in 2019 is 12.4M.

It projects to about 13.4M for 2020.