Twitter: La'el Collins Extension Close

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Good news in more ways than one. Obviously they know the parameters of Zeke’s deal which influences all other contracts.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What? I honestly thought he was a goner. Didn't think there was much chance they'd re-sign him as either he'd continue to be inconsistent this year and not worth another contract or he'd play too well and price himself out of Dallas.

So four 2nd contacts on the OL. Surprising.

lkelly

Reaction score
The McGovern pick looks more and more like your classic "drafting backups" pick unless they are really souring on C. Williams. Not sure either Williams or McGovern is going to be a long term replacement for Smith. Pretty sure Collins isn't. I guess they could try Martin at T if they want to go all Larry Allen.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
giphy.gif

robjay04

Reaction score
What? I honestly thought he was a goner. Didn't think there was much chance they'd re-sign him as either he'd continue to be inconsistent this year and not worth another contract or he'd play too well and price himself out of Dallas.

So four 2nd contacts on the OL. Surprising.

Truthfully I thought he would probably see the market too but I did believe the team valued him

Seems like if you’re willing to take less than your market value, the team is going to extend you ASAP.

glimmerman

Reaction score
The McGovern pick looks more and more like your classic "drafting backups" pick unless they are really souring on C. Williams. Not sure either Williams or McGovern is going to be a long term replacement for Smith. Pretty sure Collins isn't. I guess they could try Martin at T if they want to go all Larry Allen.
We have no clue yet cause he can’t stay healthy.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I don't think Maliek wants anything to do with team discounts. But I agree. I would if I could.
We will lose him. As soon as Elliot or Dak gets paid. We won’t have the money. Byron will be gone to.

gmoney112

Reaction score
Interesting.

Fleming costs $5.1m in cap next year.

I guess the thinking is to keep the OL stocked, and have McGovern competing at LG, with G/C depth if he can't beat out William's, and William's probably swing T if Collins is out or if he loses LG.

I think they want to avoid eating the $5m cap hit for a swing, and save the picks/effort they'd otherwise need to compete at RT and swing.

CWill is also up in 2 years after this season. That means "talks" in 2 years from now. That's not a very long time. You'd be taking a T in the 2-3rd or overpaying in FA in the next year or two.

I thought he was gone for sure. But, it does make sense.