Twitter: La'el Collins Extension Close

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Why burn high picks on two Gs over the last couple years.........

Because Martin turned out so well, Jerry thinks if one guy turned out great, so will everybody else he drafts for the same position. Sorta surprised he didn't draft another quarterback in the 4th round this year.;)

IndianaCowboys1994

Reaction score
I'm there with you!
I like La'el and glad he is a Cowboy. They have the money. I'm big on drafting and Dallas has spent two top 100 picks the last two years on a guard. That isn't smart when 4/5 lineman are under contract for the foreseeable future.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The cap should grow quite a bit with the next CBA. Jerry just trying to get in front of it.

I can't help but to agree with you on that. Word is that Jerry is front and center in those new CBA negotiations so he's got to know what the projected numbers are looking like. That should give him and the Cowboys an advantage in forecasting spending.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I find it amusing that fans think moving on from a right tackle is so easy and devalue Collins so much. Remember everyone’s whipping boy, Doug Free? It wasn’t easy moving from him either. Clearly the Cowboys value Collins and keeping the young guys along the line together, which is critical whether they invest heavily in Zeke or not.

I also find it amusing that fans think they know whom the team can afford and whom they can’t. For years we sat here and wondered how other teams can sign anyone they want while we were in cap hell. Now we are signing guys, but the fan base doesn’t think we can do it and that we will let other guys go. Dallas can sign anyone they want, all of them. If they let someone leave, it won’t be because they can’t sign him, but because they don’t want to pay what he demands.

And I have no problem with that, as long as they don't overspend, continuity on the o-line is very big as far as having a top o-line. Those guys are collectively better at run blocking than pass blocking, and as long as the Cowboys are in a run oriented offense, it makes sense...

IndianaCowboys1994

Reaction score
Bobby Belt (don't know much about him) made a tweet suggesting this team could cut ties with Tyron after this season. If his back keeps messing up it's a possibility.

DRella

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with this deal. The Cowboys have solidified the offensive line for the foreseeable future. With Smith, Williams, Fredrick, Martin and Collins you have a starting 5 that will be around for awhile protecting your two best assets in Dak and Zeke. This is a no brainer. McGovern gives you the ability to have 6 deep on the offensive line. The Boys can now focus their attention to the D side of the ball and continue to add to their young core there.

This team is shaping up to become a dynasty. Wouldn't surprise me to see them in the Super Bowl very soon and repeat champions as well. The games start in the trenches on both sides of the ball. For once I cannot judge the Jones's for being incompetent. They are doing things right. Good for them, better for us.

Verdict

Reaction score
I’m not sure what to think about this deal. I don’t believe that Collins is one of the best 5 RTs in the game. On the other hand, he’s not putrid and is fairly strong in the running game. He’s not a malcontent and he keeps his mouth shut and goes about his business.

We could probably draft a RT in rounds 1-3 and replace his production at a much cheaper cap cost, but then that would take a away a pick we could be using somewhere else.

We have been drafting really well, (except for the Taco pick) and we forced that pick. It would have been much better to have not forced the pick based on need and drafted a replacement player at another position.

On the plus side, OL tend to get better with age if they stay healthy. So a rookie will often take a year or two to reach his potential on the OL.

I am really interested in finding out what the numbers are on this deal and the structure of the contract. He might become a tradeable asset at some point.

If the cap hit is low enough and the structure is set up right it may also serve to be a cheap rental for a few years at below the going cap rate. It’s all in the numbers.

DRella

Reaction score
Bobby Belt (don't know much about him) made a tweet suggesting this team could cut ties with Tyron after this season. If his back keeps messing up it's a possibility.

Cutting Smith would be cap suicide. Something the Jones's have finally got themselves out of by paying dead cap space. They have restructured Smith's deal a couple of times already meaning releasing him would be hell. No way I see this happening at least for a couple more seasons. Smith is still young and his contract will be a bargain in the near future. Stupid move if you ask me.

VACowboy

Reaction score
Collins may not be an elite RT but the whole league is starved for OL. I don't like the idea of him eating up salary cap with Dak, Zeke and especially Cooper unsigned, but guys like Collins are gonna get paid in the NFL. I think whoever mentioned the new CBA is right. If anyone knows where that's headed it's Jerry, and I think the team is banking on a bigger pie when the new league deal is done.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I like La'el and glad he is a Cowboy. They have the money. I'm big on drafting and Dallas has spent two top 100 picks the last two years on a guard. That isn't smart when 4/5 lineman are under contract for the foreseeable future.
I would hope they no a bit more than we do.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
What say you, coach? Is it best to keep the OL intact with a known quality?
Knowns are usually better than unknowns. I like the move. Collins is a quality lineman, we are just hard on him because he's on our team.