Twitter: La'el Collins Extension Close

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
The narrative for the past year is that La'el wanted to cash in elsewhere. I'm sure when his camp approached the FO with a team friendly deal, you bet your butts Jerry jumped at it.

Our OL depth held us hostage in 2009 and 2017. I doubt Jerry wants to experience that again.

HungryLion

Reaction score

Connor Williams at LT, if they do this?

Let’s take a step back for a second.

Tyron has only been missing 3 games a season. He also has played in all the playoff games lately.

When he is playing, despite his health issues, he plays like a top 3 tackle in the whole league.

Any talk of cutting him is crazy IMO. If he decides to retire sometime soon, that’s his choice and fine. But cut him? No way José

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I'm not real excited about this.

The guy is usually clueless on his pass blocking assignment when a team throws in any type of blitz or stunt with the DL.

I would've liked to have gone to the draft but his best football is probably still in front of him so there is that.

VACowboy

Reaction score
I like La'el and glad he is a Cowboy. They have the money. I'm big on drafting and Dallas has spent two top 100 picks the last two years on a guard. That isn't smart when 4/5 lineman are under contract for the foreseeable future.
I'm all for stacking the OL, especially when the guy being drafted is the best player on the board. A great OL can affect games like no other position group. Two of those four guys have back issues. I have zero problem with this philosophy.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
What? I honestly thought he was a goner. Didn't think there was much chance they'd re-sign him as either he'd continue to be inconsistent this year and not worth another contract or he'd play too well and price himself out of Dallas.

So four 2nd contacts on the OL. Surprising.

With a new CBA coming after next season, the owners have an idea as to what percentage the players are going to get and how much the cap is going to increase, all these contracts being signed by Smith, Collins maybe Jones are going to look like great deals in 2-3 seasons

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
It's good to see the team being pro-active at keeping the OL positions stable, I suspect next draft they will be seeking a left tackle in the early rounds. La'el may not be all-pro but he is serviceable and has position flex,,, and he's not going to break the bank! We can't be paying all-pros at every position.

VACowboy

Reaction score
With a new CBA coming after next season, the owners have an idea as to what percentage the :hammer:players are going to get and how much the cap is going to increase, all these contracts being signed by Smith, Collins maybe Jones are going to look like great deals in 2-3 seasons

Proof

Reaction score
From a high-level view, this would make for a great story. From a terrible set of events leading to a plummet in the draft, to a Jones-led recruiting campaign, to a "do-right" short term extension, to being happy and wanting to be here and signing a long term deal.

Makes for a positive story.

Wonder if they enlisted Throatzilla

Dak_Attack_09

Reaction score
The McGovern pick looks more and more like your classic "drafting backups" pick unless they are really souring on C. Williams. Not sure either Williams or McGovern is going to be a long term replacement for Smith. Pretty sure Collins isn't. I guess they could try Martin at T if they want to go all Larry Allen.

Xavier Su Filao should be starting over Williams.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
True but now he basically becomes a backup his entire time here and we just spent a 3rd on him.
While I agree mostly, we don't know if Frederick or Martin stays healthy. McGovern can play guard or center. I think they drafted him as insurance and didn't expect him to be there in the 3rd

Sydla

Reaction score
unless he beats out Connor Williams next year...which could happen.

Then we wasted a 2nd round pick on Williams.

This signing makes little sense to me (granted, let's see the details of the contract).

cowboysooner

Reaction score
He is very durable and he is Dak’s guy.

The deal that needs to happen is Amari. He was team mvp in my personal record book.