Twitter: La'el Collins Extension Close

HungryLion

Reaction score
Then we wasted a 2nd round pick on Williams.

This signing makes little sense to me (granted, let's see the details of the contract).

You’re right. This deal could still be very team friendly and flexible. So I’m hoping it is structured in a way that makes him cuttable it trade able early.

LifetimeBoysFan

Reaction score
I'm definitely surprised by this one. Pleasantly so. This OL is going to be loaded with depth for quite a while.

John813

Reaction score
I don't get it but hopefully it's a good deal.
Like Doug Free extension good

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
McGovern has a torn peck so we are losing a year with him most likely...

And McGovern has technique issues according to his draft profile, even without the torn pec muscle he isn't ready for a starting job in the NFL...

NeathBlue

Reaction score
This is out of the blue.... I bet a top RB would give anything to run behind our OL :grin:

lkelly

Reaction score
Cutting Smith would be cap suicide. Something the Jones's have finally got themselves out of by paying dead cap space. They have restructured Smith's deal a couple of times already meaning releasing him would be hell. No way I see this happening at least for a couple more seasons. Smith is still young and his contract will be a bargain in the near future. Stupid move if you ask me.

5 million isn't cap suicide. The Texans are eating more of that on the Clowney trade just to get a third rounder back for him.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/tyron-smith-7724/

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
With Smith, Williams, Fredrick, Martin and Collins you have a starting 5 that will be around for awhile protecting your two best assets in Dak and Zeke.

Smith won't be around for that much longer, imo, maybe this year and next, if that's "awhile" to you then I'm in agreement, but the Cowboys need to either draft a tackle pretty high or hope they can move someone else there, Smith's back could go at any time...

Sydla

Reaction score
I get you can save money by cutting Smith next year but that's a downright bizarre justification for why this Collins deal makes sense.

Who the hell is gonna play LT for you next year if you cut Smith?

Sydla

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with this deal. The Cowboys have solidified the offensive line for the foreseeable future. With Smith, Williams, Fredrick, Martin and Collins you have a starting 5 that will be around for awhile protecting your two best assets in Dak and Zeke. This is a no brainer. McGovern gives you the ability to have 6 deep on the offensive line. The Boys can now focus their attention to the D side of the ball and continue to add to their young core there.

This team is shaping up to become a dynasty. Wouldn't surprise me to see them in the Super Bowl very soon and repeat champions as well. The games start in the trenches on both sides of the ball. For once I cannot judge the Jones's for being incompetent. They are doing things right. Good for them, better for us.

LOL.

You don't need FOUR OFFENSIVE LINEMAN making Top 5 money at their respective positions to have a really good OL. Especially when Collins is just an average RT.

There isn't a team in football, to my knowledge, that has that much money tied up in the OL. Most teams sign one or two of their best OL and then supplement them with cheaper OL either in FA or the draft.

It also begs the question when they sign Dak and Elliott and Cooper, what resources they have left for the defense. Can they sign Jones? What if Collins has a good year at DT and Hill struggles? You going to sign Collins or let him walk because he will be too pricey and you lack cap space because you loaded up on the offensive side of the ball again?

I don't get the logic in this signing............ at all.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Talent gets Paid!
Pay the man!

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
LOL.

You don't need FOUR OFFENSIVE LINEMAN making Top 5 money at their respective positions to have a really good OL. Especially when Collins is just an average RT.

There isn't a team in football, to my knowledge, that has that much money tied up in the OL. Most teams sign one or two of their best OL and then supplement them with cheaper OL either in FA or the draft.

It also begs the question when they sign Dak and Elliott and Cooper, what resources they have left for the defense. Can they sign Jones? What if Collins has a good year at DT and Hill struggles? You going to sign Collins or let him walk because he will be too pricey and you lack cap space because you loaded up on the offensive side of the ball again?

I don't get the logic in this signing............ at all.

Nobody ever won the SB with the regular season rushing champion, until Dallas did it, some might have said paying top dollar for a running back, but it worked. Maybe nobody has tied up that much in the o-line before, but if it works? As far as after signing Zeke, etc., the cap does go up every year, and JJ has an inside track on what the new cba is going to be, apparently.

I share your concern, but there may be logic in it, just because we don't see it doesn't mean it's not there.

We'll see in the next couple of years...

aria

Reaction score
Are you the woman that slept with Lucky Whitehead to get back at Zeke? Because you are starting to act like her.
No, I wouldn’t sleep with a woman beater.

Other than that, what’s your problem? You don’t think players should get as much as they can?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

this was very surprising.....but I guess they are committed to the OL being the building block of this team including the depth...so not sure what to make of McGovern and Williams draft picks. both second rounders. you expect your second rounders to be starters down the line. with Collins signing we have a 2nd round pick that's the back up!....

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
this was very surprising.....but I guess they are committed to the OL being the building block of this team including the depth...so not sure what to make of McGovern and Williams draft picks. both second rounders. you expect your second rounders to be starters down the line. with Collins signing we have a 2nd round pick that's the back up!....

Williams was mostly a tackle in college, he might be projected to move to LT, or Collins will go to LT and Williams will go to RT...

quickccc

Reaction score
Is it possible they see him as a future LT, replacing Tyron?
And McGovern has technique issues according to his draft profile, even without the torn pec muscle he isn't ready for a starting job in the NFL...

Correcting technical issues is what an OL coach is for.
We cannot have a mindset that 3rd round picks are gonna be All-pro the minute they hit the field.
And it's a reason why he was such a well regarded OG prospect that the Cowboys were reportedly surprised he was still
available and quickly drafted him even though they had not invited to meet with him after the NFL combine.

NeonNinja

Dash28
Reaction score
If the rumored deal is correct then it’s a good deal, IMO.

~$32m guaranteed.

Sydla

Reaction score
If the rumored deal is correct then it’s a good deal, IMO.

~$32m guaranteed.

It would rank him 3rd in football amongst RTs, a million or so behind Lane Johnson, who is a significantly better RT.

It's not a good deal at all IMO.