Twitter: La'el Collins on his future position

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
I still think a lot more will be clear after the draft. If we draft a G in the first 2 rounds then yes, Collins will probably stay at RT with Flemming as a ST. That's probably the best scenario. Flemmings deal is only one year and that wouldn't say any permamnence at starting RT.

If we draft a T somewhere in the first 2-3 rounds then I see Collins moving back to LG and Flemming/new guy competeing for RT/ST.

Given a choice between a stud LG and an average RT, I'll take the stud LG

jrumann59

Reaction score
I still think a lot more will be clear after the draft. If we draft a G in the first 2 rounds then yes, Collins will probably stay at RT with Flemming as a ST. That's probably the best scenario. Flemmings deal is only one year and that wouldn't say any permamnence at starting RT.

If we draft a T somewhere in the first 2-3 rounds then I see Collins moving back to LG and Flemming/new guy competeing for RT/ST.

Given a choice between a stud LG and an average RT, I'll take the stud LG
Not necessarily true about drafting a OT means Collins goes back to guard. Many college level OT become NFL guards we have two college tackles that have started at guard in the NFL, Martin and Collins.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
All things considered, if the Cowboys have a real shot at him, take the OT Williams from Texas...make it an outright competition for who starts at right tackle. Either would be solid back at left guard, for a season...other wise, I want a defensive tackle in the first round and a trade up and OG in the second round.
Hopefully he can split some time at Center and TE too.

Supercowboy1986

Reaction score
LC and the FA RT acquired this offseason should just play for the tackle position.

Whoever wins the position should play it. Simple as that.

Mr_437

Reaction score
I'm looking for LC to stay at RT because: OT is set, just need 1 LG (p-n-p) w/ no shuffle. LC should be better after going thru that group of pass rushers from last year.

Simply draft a plug n play LG, an know that LC to LG contingency plan is n your toolkit.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I'm thinking we can anticipate Fleming being tested thoroughly at both LG and RT throughout camp and the preseason also. Same goes for La'el.

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
If they move Collins back to LG this season it’ll just prove once and for all that Red and Co have absolutely no idea what they are doing

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
They need to settle on the starting 5 EARLY so they can get snaps as a unit. If we are still shuffling the deck a week before the season starts I’m going to lose my mind

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
he could. but his play at rt towards the end of the season was even better than at guard.

I don’t necessarily disagree with that, but he was developing and getting better at Guard too before the move. Obvuiously moving again isn’t ideal, but the idea is still the strongest OLine possible, and if that necessitates a move, it has to be looked at.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

I think Dallas would like to leave him at right tackle, which is why I believe the initial lineup (unless we draft a guard early) will be Smith, Fleming, Frederick, Martin, Collins. I believe the only way that will change is if Fleming can't handle playing guard, which I don't see being a problem because he's a strong player with fairly solid technique. Plus, it's a lot easier to convert a good tackle to guard than a good guard to tackle.

Collins' upside at tackle IMO is greater than Fleming's because of Collins' movement skills, but ultimately we've got to play the best five.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If they move Collins back to LG this season it’ll just prove once and for all that Red and Co have absolutely no idea what they are doing

I guess Jimmy didn’t know what he was doing by moving Nate Newton and Larry Allen around? The idea isn’t as wildly crazy as you imagine. Seems some are more interested in Collins as an individual than the overall unit.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But he isn't in sync with them now and then the RT would have to get chemistry as well. Good point but I feel would still take some time as it's been a couple years now

Hes actually only 1 season removed from LG, and I agree the chemistry would have to be worked on, but It should come quickly given the familiarity. In any case, I personally hope they can keep him at RT and find another OG, with Fleming as the swing tackle, but that remiains to be seen.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That would mean drafting a guard in the 1st or 2nd. Ok with me. You win in the trenches.

I agree that’s what it would mean, and maybe that’s okay, but fans would have to let loose of the idea of a DT and LB in the first 2 rounds to strengthen the defense.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Considering Pollack was the OL Coach when everyone was praising the OL as the best in the NFL this is a typically Idgit post

Yep. So we know he can peddle a bike when you put him on it and place his feet on the pedals and start running. Anything else?

Most people understand that Callahan built the OL, and that the team committed the talent. Have we heard any of the players talk about what a hit the los of Pollack was going to be? I don’t remember. I just remember we didn’t want him to come back.

You guys really need to learn to distinguish between cause and effect a little better. Pollack kept inertia going. Great. When he had to make changes, he blew the LG preparation badly. He blew the OT3 responsibilities worse. He even looks like Brian Broaddus. This was not a loss.