1. I am excited to announce the launch of ...
    NEWS and RUMORS is a powerful and versatile news and content search engine and reader that provides access to content from a large variety of sites.

NEWS and RUMORS does not track individual users and uses a password-less login system so only an email address is required to login.

Once logged in, you can add your favorite content feeds and searches to your Favorites list, bookmark content you want to read later, and find a lot of global, national and local content on a variety of topics.

Dismiss Notice

Lancet study on hydroxychloroquine

Discussion in 'Coronavirus Zone' started by JD_KaPow, May 23, 2020.

1. Kaiser

Kaiser Zone Supporter

14,897 Messages
    25,095 Likes Received
    Did you learn at Cal Poly about "HR Techs"? Do most hospitals have an HR Machine or only the big ones like Cedars? Do the Techs have to push a lot of buttons on the HR Machine?

2. DasSchnitzel

DasSchnitzel Well-Known Member

1,467 Messages
    2,914 Likes Received
    After reviewing round #478 of the fight between @AbeBeta and @Kaiser, which has now persisted across at least as many threads, I have determined that both should shutup already.

For everyone's sanity, I recommend we quarantine them both somewhere very secluded, or at least provide duct tape masks to both.

Seriously guys, you both want the same thing: to get to the truth of the matter, to ensure readers of CZ are not operating on false assumptions or incorrect data, and, admit it, to look like the smarter science mind (on a football forum, no less, so let's see what the amateur psychologists on here have to say of that).

Im not sure at this point if either of you work as fast food clerks or as TT professors but quite frankly, as a research scientist myself, I would refuse to work with either of you. You're both intolerable.

What? Everyone else is hurling insults around, why can't I?

Last edited: May 24, 2020
    Undisputed likes this.
  3. Kaiser

Kaiser Zone Supporter

14,897 Messages
    25,095 Likes Received
    Two things, #1 is that this site has an Ignore feature that I would encourage you to use it if these threads bother you. I have people like Visionary and Actual Cowboy on Ignore because they went way, way past the point of being useless.

#2, if you read more than this thread you will see Abebeta has posted things for months that were either wildly wrong or just regurgitated talking points. I'm one of the lightning rods here because I said at the very beginning that the "millions are going to die, an asteroid is about to strike the Earth" was complete freaking nonsense. Was I right or wrong?

Are the people who agree with AbeBeta really talking about the science or just opposing the non-Doomer viewpoint?

There is a saying in the Entertainment Industry that "everyone is 'just kidding' but no one can take a joke". Meaning everyone says things like your post but everyone also responds to being insulted.

4. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

33,159 Messages
    9,190 Likes Received
    If you read this board, you'd know I was actually criticizing features of the research whereas Kaiser actually refuses to engage with those details.

Please review how when pressed to discuss actual critiques, he just changes the subject.

CalPolyTechnique likes this.
  5. AbeBeta

33,159 Messages
    9,190 Likes Received
    Really. As a research scientist you fail to recognize that I'm bringing legitimate statistical and methodological criticism whereas Kaiser just spouts right wing BS?

Are you really a scientist?

6. DasSchnitzel

1,467 Messages
    2,914 Likes Received
    Oh God I activated one of them

Oh my, both of them!

It's remarkable to see you both immediately come at me, and bring insults about the other with you. It's like you guys want to start factions and view me as open for recruiting.

Again, I wouldnt want to share a lab with either of you.

Undisputed and Grenic like this.
  7. AbeBeta

33,159 Messages
    9,190 Likes Received
    Credit where credit is due. You did clock I was TT faculty.

8. Kaiser

Kaiser Zone Supporter

14,897 Messages
    25,095 Likes Received
    Apparently its the Post-Nanny Forum and Passive Aggressive Bragging forum also.

If you really wanted to shut everyone up you could drop some knowledge on the topic, but to each his own I guess.

9. DasSchnitzel

1,467 Messages
    2,914 Likes Received
    How's that play out, Kaiser? I say something you agree with and @AbeBeta starts calling me dumb forever after, or I say something you disagree with and you call me dumb forever after? Yay.

That's what you dont get. You think it's possible to win this, to "shut everyone up". You day dream that you're going to make the perfect point and the @AbeBeta 's of the world will bow down to your intellectual superiority.

Never. Gonna. Happen.

Either learn from each other or stop wasting your time trying to convince each other. Have y'all been paying attention to American culture for the last decade?

Who knows. Maybe slinging childish insults at each other and anyone who gets close, on a random low brow football forum, while simultaneously claiming the moral and intellectual highgrounds, is exactly how you both want to spend your time.

Too each his own, I guess.

Undisputed likes this.
  10. DasSchnitzel

1,467 Messages
    2,914 Likes Received
    No, I didn't. I said fast food or TT. Anywhere in-between was the implied 3rd option.

Yall are real desperate to find supporters in your forum faction warfare but I'm Switzerland, homie.

11. Kaiser

Kaiser Zone Supporter

14,897 Messages
    25,095 Likes Received
    Do you realize you are posting this on the same page of a thread where you called me out by name saying "I have determined that both should shutup already."?

What you don't get is the basic concept of hypocrisy. If you really were Switzerland, you would just quit reading this thread instead of being the thread nanny as an excuse to say you do research.

12. DasSchnitzel

1,467 Messages
    2,914 Likes Received

Undisputed likes this.
  13. Kaiser

Kaiser Zone Supporter

14,897 Messages
    25,095 Likes Received

14. Creeper

Creeper Well-Known Member

2,275 Messages
    3,090 Likes Received
    Again, Hydroxychloroquine is a synthetic derivative of quinine, a chemical extracted from plants and the bark of certain trees. Quinine is found in tonic water, but it is limited because in large enough quantities it can cause heart arrhythmia. So yes, there is a slightly higher risk of death from anything that causes a heart arrhythmia. But this is true for HCQ prescribed for malaria and lupus. You know what else can cause a heart arrhythmia? Black licorice. The FDA warns that people over 40 who eat more than 2 ounces of black licorice per day for 2 weeks could wind up in the hospital due to an irregular heartbeat. It can kill you. Black licorice is sold in any convenience store or grocery store in the country.

The simple fact is, yes, chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine can prolong QT intervals which can lead to death in some individuals. But the risk is slight. This is why it is prescribed to millions of people worldwide for over 40 years.

Let the clinical trials run their course and let's get the facts. I promise you if HCQ is an effective treatment for COVID-19, doctors will prescribe it despite the slightly increased risk of heart arrhythmia.

Here is a link to some info from the American College of Cardiology: https://www.acc.org/latest-in-cardi...loroquine-azithromycin-treatment-for-covid-19

Kaiser likes this.
  15. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

37,026 Messages
    6,781 Likes Received
    Exactly!

They both increase the risk of death to a similar extent. They do not differ in a statistically significant manner. That's a pretty big deal because one is an obvious risk factor for respiratory diseases of all kinds, and the other is being touted as a curative agent for COVID.

One should obviously be a greater risk factor than the other, but it isn't. If that isn't a problem then what is?

16. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

18,984 Messages
    17,990 Likes Received
    yes, if one or more large randomized controlled trials show that it is significantly effective in improving outcomes it should absolutely be used but current evidence (including peer reviewed evidence) argues against its use AND suggests increased mortality

therefore anyone recommending its use AT THIS TIME is a biased fool

17. visionary

18,984 Messages
    17,990 Likes Received
    “knowledge” ?

:muttley:

Your posts are devoid of it

18. Creeper

Creeper Well-Known Member

2,275 Messages
    3,090 Likes Received
    The only evidence as you call it, against its use is not based on controlled studies. Its based on the same kind of empirical evidence used in the French study that claimed HCQ works.

As I said, I am not advocating for or against it, only that it should be studied further because there is evidence it works in vitro and also empirical evidence it works in actual patients. I am arguing against the claim that it is too dangerous to consider. That is total and absolute nonsense simply because hundreds of millions of people already take it or have taken it for other ailments.

Kaiser and Dodger12 like this.
  19. visionary

18,984 Messages
    17,990 Likes Received
    You are “not for or against HCQ” but your bias is obvious to all except you

Of course the randomized controlled trial will clarify things but

Tomorrow you have a patient with mild respiratory symptoms who is COVID positive

you don’t have the results of the randomized trial

are you giving him HCQ?

what is the weight of the evidence right now?
    What does the peer reviewed info recommend right now?

can’t hide behind your obvious bias

what would you do right now?

20. CalPolyTechnique

CalPolyTechnique Well-Known Member

14,029 Messages
    20,569 Likes Received
    You should be asking your wife which online “university” awarded her associate’s degree?

BTW, I’m not knocking her. She should be lauded for being the breadwinner and carrying the weight her unaccomplished husband can’t.

:lmao: