Landmines, Pitfalls and Quicksand

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
The front office is going to make or break this team for the foreseeable future with the decisions made over the next two years.

What if you sign Dlaw to the largest DE contract in the league like he wants and he takes a step back while Gregory takes another step forward? Dlaw had a couple of good years. Both of which were contract years. All of a sudden he is worthy of the largest DE contract in history? Imagine if we sign him and he ends up with 6 sacks next year and Gregory ends up with 12. How much will Gregory want to be paid?

What if you make Amari Cooper the 3rd highest paid WR in the league and he disappears like he did in Oak? I doubt this happens but I also doubt he will be the 3rd best WR in the league.

What if you sign Dak to a long term deal at what appears to be the going rate and he ends up being what he appears to be? A tough guy with accuracy problems that gets by as long as you have the best OL in the league and a Top 3 RB, and a defense playing over their heads, and 3 legit WR's. He looks like a mid tier QB to me with the possibility of growing into a top tier QB. If you pay him as a top tier QB then you are gambling. If you don't, you likely lose him.

Zeke - I can't imagine him doing any better than he has. In all likelihood his production is going to taper off some. Do yo want to pay him more than he is currently making for less production when current production wasn't good enough to win it all?

Byron Jones - One good year and fell off at the end and all of a sudden he should be paid like a shutdown corner? Every player on the team coming up for a new contract can't be paid like the g.o.a.t.

Jaylon Smith - the gamble appears to have paid off. Congrats. You got a couple of good years out of him. Can you afford to pay him for the next contract? After paying all these other stars of a 10 and 6 team? Hell, they are all superstars worthy of being amongst the highest paid at their respective positions.

Randy Gregory - it is looking like the gamble is finally starting to pay off there too. If he takes another step forward how much will ge be looking to get paid?

Lael Collins - already well paid. Is he going to be willing to take a smaller contract next year? Will we move on? If so will Williams pan out at RT? If he does, you better hope Sua filo continues to play well.

Sua Filo - Collins is gone, Williams is at RT and Sua Filo is playing well. How big will his contract have to be in 2020 to keep him? Especially when you consider what the rest of the O.L. are paid.

Blake Jarwin - His trajectory is up. If he takes another step forward he will be getting a huge pay raise next year too.

Antwan Woods and Maleik Collins. I think we are all hoping these two make major steps forward this year. Just in time for new contracts next year.

And people are talking about signing F.A.'s like Earl Thomas and Grady Jarrett? How?

You can't pay everyone like they are superstars. Especially when you are a 10 and 6 team.

If Dlaw wants more than 17 mil per year tag and trade him.
If Dak thinks he is the 25 to 30 mil a year man then he can seek it elsewhere. Trade him to Tampa.
Cooper is worth 15 per. Sign it or leave next year and we will take the comp pick.
Zeke has two more years of control and then see ya! Never use a top 4 pick on a RB again.
Sign Anthony Brown to an extension right now while he has never sniffed a decent pay day. That way if Byron thinks he is Revis he can pound sand.
Extend Jarwin now before he ends up with 70 catches and 800 yards next year.

When future extensions come up for the O.L. don't just immediately make them the highest paid players in the league at their respective positions. Play hardball and trade them if you have to.

CPanther95

Reaction score
You can't avoid paying everybody and generally, if you're looking for a bargain, you better get production from your draft picks.

And I wouldn't break the bank for Gregory. If his production takes off, I'd add his production to Taco's and divide by 2 when entering negotiations. The Cowboys wouldn't have had to blow a 1st round pick on the position if Gregory didn't have his head up his *** for the first few years.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Antwan Woods and Maleik Collins. I think we are all hoping these two make major steps forward this year. Just in time for new contracts next year.
Hey Killer, good post.

I did want to reply to this one particular comment though. I see a lot of comments about "improving" or "step forward" particularly in relation to Collins. M Collins is a very good player & has been since he arrived. Has he had some injury issues, yes but that isn't a question of talent or effort. My point being, he isn't going to get appreciably better. He is what he is. A very solid 3T that can be disruptive but gets worn down over the course of a season. We need some beef in the middle so that these guys are more situational \ limited snap count players. I would love to see some beef & even kick MC out to end in some packages. Just my thoughts on these guys.

As for the rest of your post, don't disagree with the gist of what you are saying, its just a matter of "if" you can find the balance between paying talent a fair salary & the player accepting it. Each case will be different & yes, wrong decisions will cripple you for years.

75boyz

Reaction score
The front office is going to make or break this team for the foreseeable future with the decisions made over the next two years.

What if you sign Dlaw to the largest DE contract in the league like he wants and he takes a step back while Gregory takes another step forward? Dlaw had a couple of good years. Both of which were contract years. All of a sudden he is worthy of the largest DE contract in history? Imagine if we sign him and he ends up with 6 sacks next year and Gregory ends up with 12. How much will Gregory want to be paid?

What if you make Amari Cooper the 3rd highest paid WR in the league and he disappears like he did in Oak? I doubt this happens but I also doubt he will be the 3rd best WR in the league.

What if you sign Dak to a long term deal at what appears to be the going rate and he ends up being what he appears to be? A tough guy with accuracy problems that gets by as long as you have the best OL in the league and a Top 3 RB, and a defense playing over their heads, and 3 legit WR's. He looks like a mid tier QB to me with the possibility of growing into a top tier QB. If you pay him as a top tier QB then you are gambling. If you don't, you likely lose him.

Zeke - I can't imagine him doing any better than he has. In all likelihood his production is going to taper off some. Do yo want to pay him more than he is currently making for less production when current production wasn't good enough to win it all?

Byron Jones - One good year and fell off at the end and all of a sudden he should be paid like a shutdown corner? Every player on the team coming up for a new contract can't be paid like the g.o.a.t.

Jaylon Smith - the gamble appears to have paid off. Congrats. You got a couple of good years out of him. Can you afford to pay him for the next contract? After paying all these other stars of a 10 and 6 team? Hell, they are all superstars worthy of being amongst the highest paid at their respective positions.

Randy Gregory - it is looking like the gamble is finally starting to pay off there too. If he takes another step forward how much will ge be looking to get paid?

Lael Collins - already well paid. Is he going to be willing to take a smaller contract next year? Will we move on? If so will Williams pan out at RT? If he does, you better hope Sua filo continues to play well.

Sua Filo - Collins is gone, Williams is at RT and Sua Filo is playing well. How big will his contract have to be in 2020 to keep him? Especially when you consider what the rest of the O.L. are paid.

Blake Jarwin - His trajectory is up. If he takes another step forward he will be getting a huge pay raise next year too.

And people are talking about signing F.A.'s like Earl Thomas and Grady Jarrett? How?

You can't pay everyone like they are superstars. Especially when you are a 10 and 6 team.

If Dak thinks he is the 25 to 30 mil a year man then he can seek it elsewhere. Trade him to Tampa.
Cooper is worth 15 per. Sign it or leave next year and we will take the comp pick.
Zeke has two more years of control and then see ya! Never use a top 4 pick on a RB again.
Sign Anthony Brown to an extension right now while he has never sniffed a decent pay day. That way if Byron thinks he is Revis he can pound sand.

When future extensions come up for the O.L. don't just immediately make them the highest paid players in the league at their respective positions. Play hardball and trade them if you have to.

Extremely nice post bro. You covered pretty much all the "What If" details concerning the upcoming contract status of all of our most important impact players.

Really good job of laying out the rhetorical possibilities. I too wonder how those extremely hard financial decisions will be made for the overall best of the team.

Replacing any number of these players through the draft with similar production surely would be welcome, but realistic? I don't know. McClay and scouts have done well in re stocking the cupboard so to speak, but the draft is not a guarantee. One miss in a high round, can set you back.

Personel wise, my main concerns center around Oline play, keeping NFL caliber depth behind them and of course, QB play. BUT I won't highjack your thread. Lol.

Again, really nice post.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Why draft and develop players to their highest level if you're not willing to reward them with fair market value contract. Always amazes me how we want ever starter playing at an elite level UNTIL time to pay. We have four starters coming for new contracts in Zeke, Dak, DLaw, and Byron Jones. We heard fans in their mind, make legit reasoning for each on walking. Different reasons but still a case why we should NOT give a long-term deal to any of the four. Odd and strange is all I can say........

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

You don’t pay a DE just based on the # of sacks he produces. DLaw does way more than just pressure the QB. The only time Dak had a dominant line was his rookie season. Last year he was sacked 56 times. Zeke still has plenty of good years left. La’el Is not already well paid. The only player you’ve listed that is a free agent is DLaw. Appreciate the thread but check your facts first.

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
You don’t pay a DE just based on the # of sacks he produces. DLaw does way more than just pressure the QB. The only time Dak had a dominant line was his rookie season. Last year he was sacked 56 times. Zeke still has plenty of good years left. La’el Is not already well paid. The only player you’ve listed that is a free agent is DLaw. Appreciate the thread but check your facts first.

I agree but is he really that elite that we should be discussing 20 to 23 mil a year? My god that is franchise QB money.

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
You can't avoid paying everybody and generally, if you're looking for a bargain, you better get production from your draft picks.

And I wouldn't break the bank for Gregory. If his production takes off, I'd add his production to Taco's and divide by 2 when entering negotiations. The Cowboys wouldn't have had to blow a 1st round pick on the position if Gregory didn't have his head up his *** for the first few years.

I think the fact that they used a 1 on Taco and he is looking bustariffic only makes Gregory worth that much more if he continues to advance. He is reminding me a little of where Lawrence was following his 3rd year. If he blows up he is going to be in demand. Even with his off the field issues.

cowboyec

Reaction score
Im gettin' DLaw and Amari done.
Dak next.
can't pay everybody and we will lose some...but if we can Im keepin DLaw,Coop and Dak.

cowboyec

Reaction score
the extent of our f/a this year will be keeping our guys.
we've drafted well....now its time to pay.
some will stay...some won't.

Sydla

Reaction score

Learn to read first. He didn't say decisions for this year. He said decisions over the next two years. So yes, the Cowboys will have many decisions to make over the next two years.

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
Why draft and develop players to their highest level if you're not willing to reward them with fair market value contract. Always amazes me how we want ever starter playing at an elite level UNTIL time to pay. We have four starters coming for new contracts in Zeke, Dak, DLaw, and Byron Jones. We heard fans in their mind, make legit reasoning for each on walking. Different reasons but still a case why we should NOT give a long-term deal to any of the four. Odd and strange is all I can say........

If every player being discussed has developed to the level that they are worthy of being amongst the highest paid players at their respective positions then why aren't the Cowboys a more dominant team.

LT - one of the highest paid
C - one of the highest paid
RG - one of the highest paid
RT - one of the highest paid.
LG - rookie 2nd rd contract.
QB - apparently worthy of 25 to 30 mil a year which would be in the top tier of highest paid players in the history of the nfl.
RB - Already talk about how expensive his 2nd contract is going to be.
WR - being discussed as being the 3rd highest paid WR in the history of the NFL.
DE - Lawrence apparently worthy of being the highest paid 4-3 DE in NFL history.
DT - Crawford has to be amongst the highest paid rotational 3 tech in the NFL and has been for years.
CB - shutdown corner that needs to be paid as an elite CB despite one good year and no interceptions.

These are most of the important positions on the team and they are all supposedly superstars. I must have missed the 16-0 season these superstars put together.

Sydla

Reaction score
I agree but is he really that elite that we should be discussing 20 to 23 mil a year? My god that is franchise QB money.

If that's the market for a top level DE? Yeah, you have to probably pay it unless you think this team can get better in 2019 and 2020 with a DE rotation of Gregory, Armstrong, Charlton and whatever scraps they pick up in FA and in the middle rounds of this draft.

The Cowboys are in a tough spot. Their best defensive player plays a position that players get a big contract. It's a big risk to balk at the going rate for DEs.