Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Ugh. This map speaks volumes

walmart-nation-1024x778.jpg

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So, its either Walmart or Healthcare networks for most states. I am sure all of the Universities listed that do not have medical/health listed in their names do include medical/healthcare networks as well.

Makes sense why there have been rumors of Walmart acquiring medical healthcare and insurance networks themselves.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Walmart is the largest US company by revenue by almost 2x... expect that to start eroding, a lot of the states with Walmart will start seeing Amazon / UPS / FedEx popping up.
It's going to be interesting to see what counter moves Walmart implements to the eventual Amazon local-market invasion once Amazon can same-day deliver to a majority of the US rather than just select areas.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
No way..

You mean largest non-governmental employee by state.

Then Walmart.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When I was a sales rep for The Mattel Toy company in 1969, Wal-Mart, spelled like that then, had 7 stores all in NW Arkansas. I sat in the lobby in Bentonville and visited with Sam, at first thinking he was the cleaning man.

Walmart makes me crazy as a shopper and I only go there when I must but I have great appreciation for how one man took his dream and built a retail empire unmatched in our history. There were many Wal-Mart like clusters, Gibson's was the toughest competitor and longer in the game and he made them blink and sell to him.

The sad part is the demise of all those local businesses and I can tell you first hand when I was in radio that most of them never thought their friends and neighbors would forsake them to save a little money. Walmart became the heavy when in fact, all they did was allow people to prove loyalty to the checkbook trumped all others.

While you look at that map, ask yourself where all of those people would be working if not for Walmart?

lukin2006

Reaction score
It's going to be interesting to see what counter moves Walmart implements to the eventual Amazon local-market invasion once Amazon can same-day deliver to a majority of the US rather than just select areas.

I can live with Amazons 2-day delivery if it means I never step foot in a wal mart or costco...lol

John813

Reaction score
I can live with Amazons 2-day delivery if it means I never step foot in a wal mart or costco...lol

What's wrong with costco?

Only reason I hate it is it's easy to drop $200-300 just like that on 10 items lol.

I might be in the minority, but I don't like amazon.

GMO415

Reaction score
USC is the largest in LA. The Cali tech companies must be the largest in the state.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
I often wonder if our Costco is violating fire codes for the number of people shopping there. Just too many people for my liking.
My GF loves the place and I fight her tooth and nail when she asked me to go with her. Bleep that! I freaking hate being in crowds!

Jammer

Retired Air Force Guy
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The sad part is the demise of all those local businesses and I can tell you first hand when I was in radio that most of them never thought their friends and neighbors would forsake them to save a little money. Walmart became the heavy when in fact, all they did was allow people to prove loyalty to the checkbook trumped all others.

It wasn't just the pocketbook savings that made Walmart what it is today. I grew up in small town Arkansas in the 70's and when Walmart came to town it was a godsend. When Walmart arrived in town we now had a place where there was ample parking, extended hours, a bigger selection than our normal mom & pop stores, and with better prices. How can any normal person not chose that with what their choices were before? Before we had to drive 45 minutes away to the nearest K-Mart but when Walmart came along it was minutes to go to a store like that.

We did have a Gibson's in town and I always thought it was a good store, but when Walmart game along they quickly closed their doors.