News: Lawrence - 3rd Surgery Reason for PUP

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by ninja, Jul 22, 2021.

1. buybuydandavis

buybuydandavis Well-Known Member

19,335 Messages
    16,722 Likes Received
    The earlier two back surgeries were a red flag when we gave Lawrence his new contract. He has held up pretty well. Or so we thought. Maybe the back was an issue last season for decreased sack production. And even the season before.

2. ninja

ninja Numbnuts

14,650 Messages
    10,443 Likes Received
    Maybe. Maybe not.

Bigger takeaway is that he had 5 months from Feb to July and did not play football. During that time, he had back surgery. Who knows what the future brings with him? I would not feel comfortable paying him $20M+ for what little production he brings along with a question about his back.

I would lean toward this being his last year in Dallas. He may have a monster year, though. We shall see.

75boyz and buybuydandavis like this.
  3. buybuydandavis

19,335 Messages
    16,722 Likes Received
    I would say last year for DLaw too unless he ups production.

4. plasticman

plasticman Well-Known Member

5,498 Messages
    9,286 Likes Received
    Yes, they could be telling us the truth. The point is, we never know when that is because they have deliberately deceived us before.

When the GM is also the team's owner as well as the owner of the stadium then truth can be obstacle to selling tickets.

There is a certain time of the season when Cowboy news takes a certain slant. Everything is just dandy! Then a week before the first game half a squad is on the injured list.

Jerry Jones has earned the skepticism. He is a walking talking conflict of interest. You never really know if your listening to the president of Football Operations or a slick salesman.

5. Plankton

Plankton Well-Known Member

10,655 Messages
    14,637 Likes Received
    It would be a 19M cap hit to let him go. Lawrence will be a Cowboy for at least two more seasons.

Jake likes this.
  6. Beaker42

Beaker42 Well-Known Member

6,998 Messages
    5,882 Likes Received
    I’m great at hot takes.

75boyz likes this.
  7. buybuydandavis

19,335 Messages
    16,722 Likes Received
    Pending dead cap is already spent. What we can avoid is pouring *more* money into the same rathole.

ninja likes this.
  8. Section446

Section446 Well-Known Member

11,129 Messages
    10,067 Likes Received
    Gotta have that built in excuse for more lack of production.

9. dwreck27

dwreck27 Well-Known Member

4,367 Messages
    6,120 Likes Received
    These surgery’s are always “clean ups”

10. MyFairLady

MyFairLady Well-Known Member

2,912 Messages
    3,410 Likes Received
    +1 it is incredible how easily people ignore 19 million in base salary because of some crazy dead money figure. The dead money is dead money it doesn't come back to live just because you invest another 19 million.

buybuydandavis and kskboys like this.
  11. buybuydandavis

19,335 Messages
    16,722 Likes Received
    THIS

Part of a general bit of accounting crazy where people just look at cap hit for one year at a time.

12. Hadenough

Hadenough Well-Known Member

7,265 Messages
    8,322 Likes Received
    I tend to agree! Clean up is a term used for a knee scope getting rid of loose cartilage pieces and smoothing out rough edges where it may of been torn. The only way I could see that being said about a back surgery is to remove a bone spur or slight bulging disc pressing on a nerve. Probably done minimally invasive with a laser.

75boyz likes this.
  13. ninja

ninja Numbnuts

14,650 Messages
    10,443 Likes Received
    Dak’s second surgery in Dec on his ankle was for ‘clean up.’ I was worried but seems like everything is ok and it was just a ‘clean up.’