Leadership aside, is Cowboys Dak Prescott ready to fix issues in 2018?

InTheZone

Reaction score
The narrative on Dak Prescott has been he was figured out in 2017, he was a one-year wonder who was exposed as a fluke and made by the offensive line.

There is truth in there, but that isn’t the whole truth and nothing but the truth. Prescott was incapable of lifting his run-centric team when they lost their star running back to a six-game suspension and his stalwart left tackle and blindside protector.

The first eight games of the season, Prescott was playing at an MVP level. Then Ezekiel Elliott and Tyron Smith were lost and he played like a backup quarterback. Which is the real deal?

It’s probably somewhere in the middle, but in the middle is enough to lead the Cowboys to the promise land providing he doesn’t have to play behind a patchwork offensive line and without Elliott. The Cowboys went out and signed Cameron Fleming to make sure “Chaz Green, in at left tackle” never happens again. Now Prescott just needs to feel secure in the pocket again.

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/2018/05/31/dallas-cowboys-dak-prescott-2018-performance-preview/
Half of his mistakes (not throwing to an open wr who looks covered to average Joe's, not stepping up in the pocket, being quick to throw to checkdowns when guys are wide open, and running wide into a sack instead of staying put and throwing) are all correctable.

What may not be correctable is his inconsistent accuracy, arm strength, and being able to deliver the ball in tight windows when he does recognize the wr is actually open if you put it in the right spot.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
I have said plenty of times he has his moments where he is accurate and times where he isnt. But being in the top 10 in accuracy basically crushes any fan driven agenda that he isnt. I think alot of fans over exaggerate his inaccurate moments and refuse to issue any blame on Wrs. And i think alot of this goes to issues with Dak they have that have nothing to do with Football.

Care to expand on that?

InTheZone

Reaction score
Idk why everyone thinks a QB in his second year should be able to overcome the hole at LT and RB, two cornerstones of the running philosophy of this team.

I'm sure some second year QBs have done it but it's unreasonable to expect it or be mad that Dak didn't. Lots of great QBs haven't had the rookie year Dak had, either.

Just give him another season, worst case scenario you can make the argument that his second year contradicted his first year enough that year three is the tiebreaker.

We had a few very serviceable RBs, if you need the best that's a problem.

We have a very very good oline, but it's the olines/backup Left tackles fault when the QB displayed poor pocket awareness or held the ball too long when he's not comfortable throwing a wr open in tight spots.

Dak did what he did in 2016, that is his standard. To regress with great pieces around you and a defense that played very well is a big concern.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
After the season ended Dak and Garrett both talked about things Dak needs to work on and improve on and Dak has been doing this during this off season. I have faith in the kid he will go out and take care of his business and be ready to lead this team.

Ren

Reaction score
Our receivers were bad and OL bellow average once Smith got hurt. I dont really see how Dak got figured out. There's few QBs that will overcome poor blocking and awful recievers. Dak will be fine

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
The Romo sack huggers are still strong I see. Too bad for them.

817Gill

Reaction score
yep nobody could survive this.. oh yeah the eagles did and they lost their starting QB.........
his pocket awareness and fear is what costed us. the glitch
If you're referring to Darren Sproles as a star running back then you're already wrong. Also, they went out and got a pro-bowler in Jay Ajayi midseason to help their QB. Their backup LT actually had better PFF scores than the starter. These losses had nowhere near the same impact as Zeke and Ty. Most of that is because the team made sure their depth was where it needed to be.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The narrative on Dak Prescott has been he was figured out in 2017, he was a one-year wonder who was exposed as a fluke and made by the offensive line.

There is truth in there, but that isn’t the whole truth and nothing but the truth. Prescott was incapable of lifting his run-centric team when they lost their star running back to a six-game suspension and his stalwart left tackle and blindside protector.

The first eight games of the season, Prescott was playing at an MVP level. Then Ezekiel Elliott and Tyron Smith were lost and he played like a backup quarterback. Which is the real deal?

It’s probably somewhere in the middle, but in the middle is enough to lead the Cowboys to the promise land providing he doesn’t have to play behind a patchwork offensive line and without Elliott. The Cowboys went out and signed Cameron Fleming to make sure “Chaz Green, in at left tackle” never happens again. Now Prescott just needs to feel secure in the pocket again.

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/2018/05/31/dallas-cowboys-dak-prescott-2018-performance-preview/
Last year will go down as his worst year in his career. People don't realize just how much a cancer Dez was to Dak. Dez was a multi millionaire and multi year vet demanding the ball. Dak, just 1 year removed from being a rookie. Dez is gone now so let the good times roll.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Last year will go down as his worst year in his career. People don't realize just how much a cancer Dez was to Dak. Dez was a multi millionaire and multi year vet demanding the ball. Dak, just 1 year removed from being a rookie. Dez is gone now so let the good times roll.

I dont think Dez was a cancer. And Dez has always demanded the ball. The problem is his body just broke down and he tried to be the same Dez but it just wasnt there. His problem comes is he is not willing to take any kind of accountability. He had 3 great yrs in Dallas, probably the greatest 3 yr stretch in the history of the team. The problem then comes to the rest of his career was wasted. Wasted because he never got better.

I think the team blew it tho taking Vander Esch this yr tho. As its looking right now Jaylon seems like he has no limitations right now in movements. Granted theres no pads but his problems werent in contact and leverage but his inability to plant and change direction.

IMagine Dallas taking Ridley and Gallup in this draft. Dallas would be so much better off IMO.

Ridley
Hurns
Beasley
Gallup
Austin
Thompson

I still understand why they chose Vander Esch, but he isnt going to see the field much.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I dont think Dez was a cancer. And Dez has always demanded the ball. The problem is his body just broke down and he tried to be the same Dez but it just wasnt there. His problem comes is he is not willing to take any kind of accountability. He had 3 great yrs in Dallas, probably the greatest 3 yr stretch in the history of the team. The problem then comes to the rest of his career was wasted. Wasted because he never got better.

I think the team blew it tho taking Vander Esch this yr tho. As its looking right now Jaylon seems like he has no limitations right now in movements. Granted theres no pads but his problems werent in contact and leverage but his inability to plant and change direction.

IMagine Dallas taking Ridley and Gallup in this draft. Dallas would be so much better off IMO.

Ridley
Hurns
Beasley
Gallup
Austin
Thompson

I still understand why they chose Vander Esch, but he isnt going to see the field much.
Only time will tell on VE. None of us know. As far as Dez being a cancer the fact that he knew his skills diminished and still demanded the ball leads me to say he was a cancer. The rest of the team saw the same diminishing of skills that you and I did.

Section446

Reaction score
He was horrible last year, but I'm willing to give him a clean slate this year.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
If your eyes last year told you that Dak Prescott is an accurate passer........holy wow. There is nothing anyone can do about that affliction.

Except that one play-by-play analysis of every pass thrown in the NFL last season ranked Dak seventh in overall accuracy (74.76%) and fourth in adjusted accuracy based on the length of passes.

Another analysis of every pass thrown 16 yards or more downfield last season ranked Dak the second-most accurate at those distances.

It seems unfathomable that two different, unbiased sources could come up with those numbers if Dak wasn't an accurate passer.