Leadership aside, is Cowboys Dak Prescott ready to fix issues in 2018?

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Idk why everyone thinks a QB in his second year should be able to overcome the hole at LT and RB, two cornerstones of the running philosophy of this team.

I'm sure some second year QBs have done it but it's unreasonable to expect it or be mad that Dak didn't. Lots of great QBs haven't had the rookie year Dak had, either.

Just give him another season, worst case scenario you can make the argument that his second year contradicted his first year enough that year three is the tiebreaker.
He couldn't overcome bad play calling

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
Alfred Morris was DONE. He was a liability last year. Anyone who thinks differently isn't being honest with themselves.

Alfred Morris had 547 yards last year and a 4.8 YPC average playing behind the same line as Zeke who ran for 983 yards but only a 4.1 YPC average. Morris had 4 runs of 20+ yards last season and Zeke had 5. Morris was not done last season

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
That's ok... Bucky Brooks used the word gunslinger in an article on nfl.com... I don't know many gunslingers with 50% of their games being under 200 yards passing. Unless he was comparing him to QBs in 1918.

he was referring to the gunslinger who lost the fights. the slow scared ones.

waving monkey

Reaction score
No No, the Eagles lost their Franchise QB (Wentz) for the season, they lost their AP right tackle (Peters) for the season, they lost their best LB (Hicks) for the season, they lost 2 FG kickers for the season and they lost Sproles for the season. If Dak doesn't improve his pocket presence this season we will be lucky to in 9 games in 2018
Nick Foles is a damn good QB and http://www.mcall.com/sports/football/eagles/mc-spt-eagles-halapoulivaati-vaitai-20180130-story.html
Van did a great job and was a good back up. That wont happen again to the Cowboys.
If you wont to yes the Cowboys didnt have the back ups needed OK

waving monkey

Reaction score
I think it’s a ridiculous narrative floated around on this site, and other places, that Dak was “figured out” last year. The mediocre play of the O line, injuries to the O line, and the terrible coaching decisions because of the injuries to the O line were the main reasons why Dak struggled AT TIMES last year. The Atlanta game and Seattle game last year were two perfect examples of this. Dak had no chance in the Atlanta game with Chaz Green getting dominated play after play, and the coaches, not chipping for him. In the Seattle game, Tyrone went out after the first series, and Bell was a turnstile as his replacement and again the coaches seldom chipped for him. I don’t think Dak has issues to fix any more than any top QB. If the O line plays better as a whole, which I think they will due to the drafting of Williams and signing of Fleming, and the coaches learn from their stupid mistakes and chip if they have an overmatched T( which is less likely to happen with our much improved depth at T), Dak will play at a very high level. Similar to his rookie season.
Dak could have played better but your right in essence

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
Nick Foles is a damn good QB and http://www.mcall.com/sports/football/eagles/mc-spt-eagles-halapoulivaati-vaitai-20180130-story.html
Van did a great job and was a good back up. That wont happen again to the Cowboys.
If you wont to yes the Cowboys didnt have the back ups needed OK

Nick Foles is an average QB, nothing more. he had a very nice run last year filling in for Wentz good for him he earned, every bit of it but there is a reason he isn't a starter in the NFL

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
The narrative on Dak Prescott has been he was figured out in 2017, he was a one-year wonder who was exposed as a fluke and made by the offensive line.

There is truth in there, but that isn’t the whole truth and nothing but the truth. Prescott was incapable of lifting his run-centric team when they lost their star running back to a six-game suspension and his stalwart left tackle and blindside protector.

The first eight games of the season, Prescott was playing at an MVP level. Then Ezekiel Elliott and Tyron Smith were lost and he played like a backup quarterback. Which is the real deal?

It’s probably somewhere in the middle, but in the middle is enough to lead the Cowboys to the promise land providing he doesn’t have to play behind a patchwork offensive line and without Elliott. The Cowboys went out and signed Cameron Fleming to make sure “Chaz Green, in at left tackle” never happens again. Now Prescott just needs to feel secure in the pocket again.

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/2018/05/31/dallas-cowboys-dak-prescott-2018-performance-preview/

For anyone that understands football it was quite clear that Dak was never the issue. When the pieces were there around him, he produced, end of story. When Zeke and the Oline and Lee vanished so did the entire team and offense. If Dak is guilty of anything, its being a 2nd year QB. Nothing more.

zerofill

Reaction score
Nick Foles is a damn good QB

Dak should be beyond Foles... he is the starter of the Dallas Cowboys. There shouldn't be backups that are better or on par with him.

We can beat people with Dak... I am sure of that. Do I think he can become better? Yeah, I am pretty sure of that. Give anyone long enough, they will get better. But it has been 23 years for the Cowboys. I don't want to wait 6 seasons for Dak, to develop. He isn't going to have the luxury of the greatest line in Football, or the best running back, every game... life sucks. But, elite QBs find a way to win, no matter what.

Do I think he wants to win? I think he is very competitive and wants to win. I just don't think he has all the tools required.

Again, I hope I am wrong. I actually hope Dak lights it up and passes for 5k yards, and Zeke runs for 2k... I just am not holding my breath on the first one of those 2 for sure.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
[QUOTE="CowboyRoy, post: 8188278, member: 34847"]For anyone that understands football it was quite clear that Dak was never the issue. When the pieces were there around him, he produced, end of story. When Zeke and the Oline and Lee vanished so did the entire team and offense. If Dak is guilty of anything, its being a 2nd year QB. Nothing more.[/QUOTE]

Watching fooball with blinders on is not good for you. Dak had the entire team available for the most important game of the season last year (Seattle at home week 16) defence played lights out with Lee and they held Seattle to 169 yards of total offence. Thank god we had Dan Bailey to kick 4 FG's to get us 12 points. All the pieces were there for that game. What happenned?

zerofill

Reaction score
For anyone that understands football it was quite clear that Dak was never the issue. When the pieces were there around him, he produced, end of story. When Zeke and the Oline and Lee vanished so did the entire team and offense. If Dak is guilty of anything, its being a 2nd year QB. Nothing more.

I understand football, and yes Dak was a very big part of many of the problems. He is definitely not innocent in all of it. You basically, are giving the narrative everyone is saying more ammunition. If he is surrounded by the best, he will be his best. I am looking for the QB that doesn't have to be surrounded by 8 Pro Bowl players on offense, to be successful. We see it done all the time... Now the question is, can he do it?

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
I understand football, and yes Dak was a very big part of many of the problems. He is definitely not innocent in all of it. You basically, are giving the narrative everyone is saying more ammunition. If he is surrounded by the best, he will be his best. I am looking for the QB that doesn't have to be surrounded by 8 Pro Bowl players on offense, to be successful. We see it done all the time... Now the question is, can he do it?
Right now all Dak has shown after 2 seasons is if everything else is perfect he can be a very good bus driver. That would work for me too! I just don't expect more out of him

zerofill

Reaction score
Watching fooball with blinders on is not good for you. Dak had the entire team available for the most important game of the season last year (Seattle at home week 16) defence played lights out with Lee and they held the Seattle to 169 yards of total offence. Thank god we had Dan Bailey to kick 4 FG's to get us 12 points. All the pieces were there for that game. What happenned?

Man... I wanted the defense to start slapping people on the sideline that game.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Watching fooball with blinders on is not good for you. Dak had the entire team available for the most important game of the season last year (Seattle at home week 16) defence played lights out with Lee and they held the Seattle to 169 yards of total offence. Thank god we had Dan Bailey to kick 4 FG's to get us 12 points. All the pieces were there for that game. What happenned?
Dez Bryant dropped some key passes for one and just be honest, we had a lousy gameplan for that game. We thought that Elliott's return would just make the team jump on his back. Prescott has a lot of work to do, but that just looked like a poorly prepared team there that didn't cope with the ebb and flow of that game very well. They should have won it and just looked like they were running on fumes.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
Dez Bryant dropped some key passes for one and just be honest, we had a lousy gameplan for that game. We thought that Elliott's return would just make the team jump on his back. Prescott has a lot of work to do, but that just looked like a poorly prepared team there that didn't cope with the ebb and flow of that game very well. They should have won it and just looked like they were running on fumes.

And Dak threw a couple of picks, lets not forget that either. I really don't remeber Dez dropping any passes that game, remind me please. I know he was thrown to 6 times in that game and caught 3 of them. Dez did have a fumble in the game, maybe that is what you are thinking of

Last edited: