Leadership aside, is Cowboys Dak Prescott ready to fix issues in 2018?

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
After watching Foles in the playoffs and the Super Bowl vs the best of the best, play exceptionally well, especially in the Super Bowl, why do you think he is not starting material? Foles is a great example of coaching matters. That is why Dak is hand cuffed, Garrett!!

Just look at his career, he was given plenty of chances to start and other than those 13 games at the beginning of his career in Philly, he hasn't been able to cut it as a starter anywhere. A good look at his career stats will tell you why too. He did have a great post season run but that kind of play from him wouldn't hold up for a season. He has proven that in the past. I would take him as a backup QB anyday of the week

zerofill

Reaction score
Just look at his career, he was given plenty of chances to start and other than those 13 games at the beginning of his career in Philly, he hasn't been able to cut it as a starter anywhere. A good look at his career stats will tell you why too

I give Foles credit, but I give the coaching staff even more credit. They did something we don't... They had a game plan in place to utilize his strengths. But, Foles may be one of those late bloomers, that I would like to not wait for as well... Keenum, is an example of that...

Although, Denver is going to be shocked... because he is a bus driver as well.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Coaches should have done that, i agree but what competent QB also wouldn't do it himself if he saw what was going on? Dak couldn't have sent Witten over to that side to help out? C'mon
I don’t know how confident a second year QB would be changing Witten’s assignment. Your 1st point IS the point though. The idiot coaches should seen this from the sidelines or the booth and fixed the problem. Belicheat would not have went almost the whole game without helping his 2nd year QB. Garrett’s coaching, or lack there of, is the main reason Dak struggled last year. Blame Dak if you want, but Garrett is the main reason Dak, Dez, and Beasley struggled last year.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Just look at his career, he was given plenty of chances to start and other than those 13 games at the beginning of his career in Philly, he hasn't been able to cut it as a starter anywhere. A good look at his career stats will tell you why too. He did have a great post season run but that kind of play from him wouldn't hold up for a season. He has proven that in the past. I would take him as a backup QB anyday of the week
After watching him perform with a smart offensive coach this year with Philly, I think he would be very successful with the right coach and team around him. I think Dak has much more potential to be great than Foles, but Dak has Garrett as his HC. Coaching matters! How come so many Cowboys Zone supporters do not understand this? Look at the Rams turn around. Can you say coaching change.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
In other words he’s basically Dak with a Super Bowl ring. Both have had one fluke outlier year and have looked average otherwise.

zerofill

Reaction score
I don’t know how confident a second year QB would be changing Witten’s assignment.

True... but after the 5th time, there wouldn't have been a 6th, even if it was my rookie year... That would have had me looking like Dez on the sidelines, except the stuff I would be saying, would actually be what the media thought it was lol.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
You are talking about the Atlanta game, and I said that was a joke in another thread. But, that was one game, which didn't define the season. But, I do agree, Garrett and Linehan should be gone.
They didn’t help Bell in the Seattle game either when Tyrone went out in the first series. You are correct, one inept backup tackle, or actually two inept backup tackles, should not have defined our season, but Garrett allowed them too. These two inept backup tackles cost us more than a couple games because Garrett was clueless regarding how to fix the problem. They shouldn’t have, but the two inept backup tackles, and Garrett, having no clue how to help them did define our season. Garrett was Dak’s main problem last year.

zerofill

Reaction score
They didn’t help Bell in the Seattle game either when Tyrone went out in the first series. You are correct, one inept backup tackle, or actually two inept backup tackles, should not have defined our season, but Garrett allowed them too. These two inept backup tackles cost us more than a couple games because Garrett was clueless regarding how to fix the problem. They shouldn’t have, but the two inept backup tackles, and Garrett, having no clue how to help them did define our season. Garrett was Dak’s main problem last year.

I'm actually not one of the people that think Dak gets spooked back there, when the pocket collapses, and defenders are coming. I think there is a difference between being scared back there, and just flustered, and confused. Reading defenses, I don't expect him to be all pro when it comes to that. But here is the difference between him, and many of the other QBs out there when it comes to the passing game. Receivers don't typically play to the strengths of their QBs. That is actually the opposite... The QB plays to the strengths of the receivers. My opinion is that Dak fails at that in multiple ways. He has very bad ball placement, many of the catches that are made, are because of the receivers talent, not the pinpoint accuracy of Dak. He is often late on throws, throws high, throws behind, etc...

When teams slacked on the underneath passes in 2016, he did well. What we saw this season was teams game planning for him. Whether people want to admit it or not, they targeted his weaknesses and they were right about it. Teams don't constantly stack the box, when they are worried about the QB making them pay. They were not worried about Dak making them pay... at all.

Now I have seen posts where people don't want to hear how teams figured out Dak, blah blah... Well in the same respect then, I don't want to hear about receivers not getting separation, and Zeke being out.

Most of us can agree that our coaches don't often put players in the best position to make plays. But, you still have to be able to make something out of nothing in the NFL. There just isn't any freebies in the NFL. You aren't going to get college separation in the NFL from receivers. That just doesn't happen... When they are playing at the college level, there are a few good players on each team. When you play in the NFL, there are 11 good to great players on each side of the ball.

So, this season is the season... 3 years as the starter, and you know what you have at that point... so let us see...

plasticman

Reaction score
there are no issues, just retaliatory,obnoxious commissioners.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
one guy goes down and the "shakiest gun in the NFC east" can't handle the pressure. oh yeah and Lee was hurt.. no team could win with 2 guys hurt....lmao

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I'm taking names. Don't want to see any of the Dak detractors (pretty much the same ones from the old Official Cowboys Fan Forum) suddenly jumping on Dak's bandwagon when Dak leads the Cowboys deep into the playoffs. Just stay off.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
"mama don't like tattle tails".

wrw9cCj.gif

CCBoy

Reaction score
Dak is set up to be the focal point...and recent changes were dominant at arriving just here:

...Offensive line play doesn’t need to be overcomplicated either. Considering the success the Cowboys have had with perennial Pro Bowlers in Tyron Smith, Frederick and Zack Martin, Alexander is not about to reinvent their process, but he will ask them to try different things. He is the third different offensive line coach the Cowboys have had since 2013. Bill Callahan brought the zone scheme to the Cowboys and was followed by Frank Pollack, who played and coached under Callahan.

Alexander spent 23 seasons as the Bengals line coach and has incorporated different schemes depending on the talent at his disposal. Frederick said the differences won’t be noticed to the naked eye but there are differences in protections, footwork and eye progressions.

“I’ve learned that he’s a really smart guy,” Frederick said. “He approaches the game in a very meticulous fashion. It’s different so far from what we’ve seen before, but the same meticulousness. I don’t know if that’s a word, but it’s a different angle at it, if you will. It’s actually really good for us to see it at that angle because I’ve only ever seen the game the same way.”...

http://www.espn.com/blog/dallas-cow...ch-doesnt-need-heinz-57-trick-with-these-guys