Leadership aside, is Cowboys Dak Prescott ready to fix issues in 2018?

waving monkey

Reaction score
Dak is set up to be the focal point...and recent changes were dominant at arriving just here:

...Offensive line play doesn’t need to be overcomplicated either. Considering the success the Cowboys have had with perennial Pro Bowlers in Tyron Smith, Frederick and Zack Martin, Alexander is not about to reinvent their process, but he will ask them to try different things. He is the third different offensive line coach the Cowboys have had since 2013. Bill Callahan brought the zone scheme to the Cowboys and was followed by Frank Pollack, who played and coached under Callahan.

Alexander spent 23 seasons as the Bengals line coach and has incorporated different schemes depending on the talent at his disposal. Frederick said the differences won’t be noticed to the naked eye but there are differences in protections, footwork and eye progressions.

“I’ve learned that he’s a really smart guy,” Frederick said. “He approaches the game in a very meticulous fashion. It’s different so far from what we’ve seen before, but the same meticulousness. I don’t know if that’s a word, but it’s a different angle at it, if you will. It’s actually really good for us to see it at that angle because I’ve only ever seen the game the same way.”...

http://www.espn.com/blog/dallas-cow...ch-doesnt-need-heinz-57-trick-with-these-guys
:thumbup:After reading a few articles about Alexander I have become a fan of the man. He builds log cabins for gosh sakes.

waving monkey

Reaction score
I understand football, and yes Dak was a very big part of many of the problems. He is definitely not innocent in all of it. You basically, are giving the narrative everyone is saying more ammunition. If he is surrounded by the best, he will be his best. I am looking for the QB that doesn't have to be surrounded by 8 Pro Bowl players on offense, to be successful. We see it done all the time... Now the question is, can he do it?
If Dak needs the best to take me to the promise land hell give him the best. I dont care,he's what we got and it aint bad.

kskboys

Reaction score
I think it’s a ridiculous narrative floated around on this site, and other places, that Dak was “figured out” last year. The mediocre play of the O line, injuries to the O line, and the terrible coaching decisions because of the injuries to the O line were the main reasons why Dak struggled AT TIMES last year. The Atlanta game and Seattle game last year were two perfect examples of this. Dak had no chance in the Atlanta game with Chaz Green getting dominated play after play, and the coaches, not chipping for him. In the Seattle game, Tyrone went out after the first series, and Bell was a turnstile as his replacement and again the coaches seldom chipped for him. I don’t think Dak has issues to fix any more than any top QB. If the O line plays better as a whole, which I think they will due to the drafting of Williams and signing of Fleming, and the coaches learn from their stupid mistakes and chip if they have an overmatched T( which is less likely to happen with our much improved depth at T), Dak will play at a very high level. Similar to his rookie season.
Dak simply needs to fix his footwork and some minor mechanical adjustments and get some WR's who will be where they're supposed to be when the pressure is on.

Dak needed last year to show the things he needs to work on. And he will.

kskboys

Reaction score
It's not that he was figured out it was that opposing D's took away what we did best and Dak wasn't able to make them pay for it. All teams and QB's have tendencies and that is what game tape shows. Teams tried to take away our running game last year and our short passing offence, only way to beat that is to either keep beating them with the run (which we couldn't do with or without Zeke) or to beat them downfield with the intermediate passing game which does not seem to be Dak strong point. A short passing game will only work if you have at least the threat of going downfield or deep sometimes. Our offensive passing game scared nobody last year and it really won't scare anybody this year either
Can't make someone pay when your go to WR doesn't create separation and can't remember his routes.

kskboys

Reaction score
Dez has always been a football player, his talent may be in decline but being a football player was never in question
Completely disagree. Dez was a physical marvel who got by completely on his physicall skillset. Football players run routes, football players focus on the team, football players do whatever it takes. Refusing to do the necessary rehab to regain one's physical skills makes one the opposite of a football player.

What makes you claim Dez is a football player?

kskboys

Reaction score
Dez never created separation his entire career so maybe you need to look at other things as to why his numbers were in decline (age, injuries, different QB with a different skill set)
Appears as if he needed an absolutely perfect scenario to be good.

kskboys

Reaction score
Well, to play devil's advocate... This is what has been said about Dak over and over here.
It has. And it may be pretty close at present.

Dak's first year was actually bad for his development. From struggle and strife come improvement and toughness. Dak had a lot to learn coming in, and he didn't learn enough of it due to the situation coming in. Now, the question is, will he learn from the struggles of last season? His attitude and work ethic say yes.

NotForLong

Reaction score
I remember what he is talking about now. Dak's 2nd pick was the pass he threw behind Bryant on a short crossing route that Bryant had to reach (behind) back for and it went off his hands. It was a bad pass thrown way to hard and would not be considered a drop by anyone
You would think so. But may so called fans use it in thier narrative to throw Dez under the bus

kskboys

Reaction score
If he's average, yet throws a better pass then Dak. What does that make Dak? Below average
I think you missed 2016 when Dak threw a lot of nice passes when the OL wasn't crumbling. Foles had almost no pressure last year vs the Pats.