Let’s be honest: our talent level is bottom 15 in the league

tm1119

Reaction score
Qb- middle of the road
RB- great
WR- One of the worst units in the league
TE- Witten is a backup at this point and there’s no other starting caliber TE on the roster
OL- IF Tyron is healthy it’s still a very good unit. Big if and there is still 1 starter missing
DL- Getting better, but still middle of the road. 1 tech is still (perpetually) missing. Depth is also an issue behind the injury prone Lawrence.
LB- Yuck. just yuck
DB- Young CB’s are a breath of fresh air, but is there a #1 guy amongst the group? Very debatable
S- Little to no talent here. Minimum 1 starter still needed. Heath is just barely passable enough but should also be replaced if possible.

Discuss

Turkish-Cowboy

Reaction score
If we don't agree with you, does that mean we are not honest?

Because I'm on the point of being in disagreement with you, pending on your reply...

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Pretty much right now. Also no depth . If one of our starters go out the whole team folds.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
Qb- middle of the road
RB- great
TE- Witten is a backup at this point and there’s no other starting caliber TE on the roster
OL- IF Tyron is healthy it’s still a very good unit. Big if and there is still 1 starter missing
DL- Getting better, but still middle of the road. 1 tech is still (perpetually) missing. Depth is also an issue behind the injury prone Lawrence.
LB- Yuck. just yuck
DB- Young CB’s are a breath of fresh air, but is there a #1 guy amongst the group? Very debatable
S- Little to no talent here. Minimum 1 starter still needed. Heath is just barely passable enough but should also be replaced if possible.

Discuss

So Dak has a bad 2nd half (last season), and that makes him middle of the road. Zeke drops from 5.3 ypc his rookie year, to 4.1 ypc last year, and he is still GREAT. Double standard.

tm1119

Reaction score
So Dak has a bad 2nd half (last season), and that makes him middle of the road. Zeke drops from 5.3 ypc his rookie year, to 4.1 ypc last year, and he is still GREAT. Double standard.

Talent level. Never said he couldn’t succeed, but his talent level compared to the rest of the QB’s is indeed middle of the road. Doesn’t have a rocket arm, nor does he excel in reading defenses. Being the 15th (or so) best QB isn’t exactly an insult in my book...

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
Talent level. Never said he couldn’t succeed, but his talent level compared to the rest of the QB’s is indeed middle of the road. Doesn’t have a rocket arm, nor does he excel in reading defenses. Being the 15th (or so) best QB isn’t exactly an insult in my book...

Dak showed his talent level his rookie year and last year before Zeke was suspended. Zeke finishing 4.1 ypc with his so called talent level doesn't make him great.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Qb- middle of the road
RB- great
LB- Yuck. just yuck

Discuss
QB I will say unproven. He shows traits of a good QB but also shows traits of a bad QB, with this staff he will be stuck in Limbo, I am seeing Jason Campbell.
RB I agree, very good RB.
WR - the biggest issue with the WR is everyone has defined role and they do not deviate, tall receivers run deep routes, short receivers run underneath routes. Using that logic it is easy to defend the passing game because even if you are dumb DC you at least have an idea where a guy is going to go.
TE - I think TE is serviceable if Rico prove he can play this year otherwise this unit is old.
OL - is the only talented player group, no reason they should not have found a LOG. Hopefully they draft one 3rd or later rounds or find a FA. Cooper played well at times but by no means was he a world beater. For those saying Leary this or that, that shipped sailed when Jerry made Collins the defacto starter when Leary got hurt early in his career and Learyas never going to re-sign with Dallas.
DL - underacheivers, a lot of potential.
LB - I am not down on Smith I think he can be good starter, Lee is great starter for about 12 games a year, Wilson is very solid guy. The rest can go kick rocks.
DB - As group like the DL a lot of potential but vey young.
S - I know many want to trade for ET but logically it makes no sense (which is why this FO would do it), you are going to sign a guy to premium contract extension at position that takes a beating every game and the shelf life for a player here is maybe 33-34.

tm1119

Reaction score
We just went 9-7 with a slew of significant injuries and suspensions.

If we have a below average roster we must have an above average coaching staff and I don't think anyone believes that.

We went 8-8...you can count that last “win” if it makes you feel better, but the Cowboys were about as 8-8 as it gets last year. And there were 16 teams with winning records last year not counting the Cowboys. That puts us dead in line with a few teams being 15th or worst in the league if you’d like to look at it that way.

aria

Reaction score
Can’t really argue with anything the OP has stated. Unlike most, I’m not worried about coaching as much this year as I am the QB. I’m a big Dak fan but this year will tell us a lot.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
We went 8-8...you can count that last “win” if it makes you feel better, but the Cowboys were about as 8-8 as it gets last year. And there were 16 teams with winning records last year not counting the Cowboys. That puts us dead in line with a few teams being 15th or worst in the league if you’d like to look at it that way.
And the only good team we beat last year was KC unless you want to count the Philly backups.

tm1119

Reaction score
Dak showed his talent level his rookie year and last year before Zeke was suspended. Zeke finishing 4.1 ypc with his so called talent level doesn't make him great.

I’m not sure you understand what the word talent means. I’m talking talent level and you’re citing statistics. Do you honestly believe Dak has great TALENT as an NFL QB? Arm strength, accuracy, ability to read a D. As an NFL QB Dak is indeed middle of the road. But again, doesn’t mean he can’t succeed.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And the only good team we beat last year was KC unless you want to count the Philly backups.

And even that KC win was during their mid season funk, when everybody was doing it. I'm not disregarding it entirely, it was still impressive and a pleasant and unexpected surprise, but I'm saying that the Chiefs suffered several losses during that mid season swoon and got their act together again later in the season.

But it's the closest thing to a "quality win" that this team had in 2017, and even the biggest homer knows it.

George

a legend in your own mind
Reaction score
We just went 9-7 with a slew of significant injuries and suspensions.

If we have a below average roster we must have an above average coaching staff and I don't think anyone believes that.
No. We had a below average schedule last year and our last game was won because the Eagles didn’t care.

LittleD

Reaction score
Qb- middle of the road
RB- great
LB- Yuck. just yuck

Discuss

Talk about being the "negative Nellie" on this board. The LB's are definitely not Yuck as Lee, when healthy,
is one of the top 5 LB in the NFL IMVHO. Our Safeties do have some talent and with Jones moving to CB will
probably perform quite well this year. Are we top 5 in players in the NFL, no. Are we middle of the pack like most
NFL teams, yes.