Let’s clarify what passing accuracy really means

Them

Reaction score
...I saw Brady throw terrible passes in his Sunday game...but the ones he did connect on determined the outcome....just like Dak!

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
It hasn’t happened in 50 years in Cowboy history( Perfect rating- Craig Morton). Roger and Troy never did it.

Troy on the broadcast. “ I’ve heard that before. I came close once but never understood how you could be perfect without completing all your passes”. Lol

It was a career day by Dak . It should be applauded. But we’ll need to see it consistently done especially against more Elite teams and in January before we anoint him a prolific passer.
He wasn't the problem with less offensive weapons and a lower caliber defense in the postseason.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
He wasn't the problem with less offensive weapons and a lower caliber defense in the postseason.
Didn’t say he was the problem. You don’t have to be the problem without not being enough.

The point is unless he becomes an Elite QB and prolific passer he won’t get a pass without leading the Cowboys to a championship.

Great QB’s need a strong supporting cast to be successful . It’s what they do with it that separates them from the pack.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Didn’t say he was the problem. You don’t have to be the problem without not being enough.

The point is unless he becomes an Elite QB and prolific passer he won’t get a pass without leading the Cowboys to a championship.

Great QB’s need a strong supporting cast to be successful . It’s what they do with it that separates them from the pack.
Yeah, I don't know if a more accurate Dak would have been enough for the Rams playoff game last year but it sure would have helped. He was not accurate that day. He missed a few wide open guys when he had time that would have been big plays.

Sunday he was definitely accurate. There are no questions about that. You don't have to hit every receiver in stride on every pass to be accurate. He was off the charts Sunday. There was not a single pass caught in spite of the throw and there were 3 perfect ones dropped.

TexasHillbilly

Reaction score
The Gallup long catch was one where he caught the ball in stride and was able to maintain separation and get a lot of yards as a result. Even then, the throw was a little high. There were several throws yesterday where if the receiver caught the ball in stride, they could have got a good chunk of yards but they had to reach back for the ball and got tackled. Those lost yards are part of the issue with Dak's accuracy. Beyond that, a lot of Dak's throws are "easy" where the guy is wide open. Had there been tight coverage, it would not have been complete.

Where Dak should get more credit is the fact that most of his receivers are wide open. Basically, he regularly makes the RIGHT throw. This is probably just as valuable as outright accuracy. Throwing into triple coverage is going to get you in trouble whereas throwing to a guy who is wide open can be a slightly errant pass and still get you 8 yards. Sure, there are some examples of Dak not throwing to an open receiver but that happens with every QB. Its extremely rare for Dak to make a "why the hell did you throw it to that guy?!?!?" throw.
The last sentence is about the only thing I agree with. The other part of this whole write up is bs. jmo

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score

I didn't say you said anything, just making a statement. I couldn't care less what some think warrants a pass.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yeah, I don't know if a more accurate Dak would have been enough for the Rams playoff game last year but it sure would have helped. He was not accurate that day. He missed a few wide open guys when he had time that would have been big plays.

Sunday he was definitely accurate. There are no questions about that. You don't have to hit every receiver in stride on every pass to be accurate. He was off the charts Sunday. There was not a single pass caught in spite of the throw and there were 3 perfect ones dropped.
Dak only converted 1 of 10 3rd downs against the Rams. Surely that was a problem and a contributing factor?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Hopefully Dak won’t be like Romo where he doesn’t have his best games on the biggest stages?

lukin2006

Reaction score
Dak had a great game and looks much improved. If that's the kind of play we get outta Dak most times...we have a QB.

lukin2006

Reaction score
According to Moore, Dak told him he lost grip on the ball, he kind of double clutched it to try to get a grip and did what he had to so that Jarwin had a chance to make a play on the ball

To me, that's a good sign. Dak made a good decision...just get the ball near him and let Jarwin do the rest. Jarwin was so open he could have had a coffee...

birdwells1

Reaction score
Hello Bob. Well, here's the thing, and this is really a modern NFL Football thing, more then anything else because it didn't used to be this way.

The more accurate your QB is, the less money you have to spend on WRs. Any WR in the NFL has talent but not all of them are the same. WRs who can adjust to the ball, while in flight, can catch anything and everything, can separate and run excellent routes, they cost a premium. If your QB is not accurate, then you have to pay that premium. If your QB is that guy who can drop it in a bucket from 50 yards out, you pay that guy the market but, you can afford to go lighter on WRs. You can't pay them both so you pick a course and go with it. This really isn't about Dak, per say, but it's a point that I think you have to understand in terms of accuracy in todays game.

JMO

Great post, I'll say that what I saw Sunday was Dak hit receivers in stride and that allow more RAC. The anticipation was there, he wasn't waiting until the receiver was open to throw it and lastly Kellen Moore allowed him to attack the deep middle of the field. Up until last game dak would throw mostly short, short middle and deep outside, hopefully this continues from now on.