Let’s Say You know it For a Fact that you’re Moving Up for Tua in the Draft

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
What is the lowest draft compensation you would reasonably consider for Dak? In this hypothetical you’ve already franchised him, but you know you’re taking his replacement.

In the event no on offers a 1, do you just sit on his top 5 franchised contract and take the 3rd rounder in 2021, or do you take what you can get?

Teams realistically interested would be Miami, Cincinnati, possibly Pittsburgh or LAC, maybe Indianapolis, maybe Jacksonville.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What is the lowest draft compensation you would reasonably consider for Dak? In this hypothetical you’ve already franchised him, but you know you’re taking his replacement.

In the event no on offers a 1, do you just sit on his top 5 franchised contract and take the 3rd rounder in 2021, or do you take what you can get?

Teams realistically interested would be Miami, Cincinnati, possibly Pittsburgh or LAC, maybe Indianapolis, maybe Jacksonville.
If they want to move on from Dak, take what you can get of just don't resign him. But!!!!! They don't want to move on from Dak so he will be the highest paid QB in the league and all hell will break lose around here!!

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
If they want to move on from Dak, take what you can get of just don't resign him. But!!!!! They don't want to move on from Dak so he will be the highest paid QB in the league and all hell will break lose around here!!

I don’t know if you go that far. I think you can franchise him and get a second day pick. No reason to throw that away

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wouldn't make any sense to trade Prescott, tag him because Tua might not be ready for the QB1 job. If he was ready before the trade deadline, that might be the time for a trade.

But this is hypothetical, he's not going anywhere, at least for 2020.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Wouldn't make any sense to trade Prescott, tag him because Tua might not be ready for the QB1 job. If he was ready before the trade deadline, that might be the time for a trade.

So roll into 2020 with Dak on a franchise deal and Tua as his backup? The assumption is you get a college HC who’s enamored with TT

blueblood70

Reaction score
So roll into 2020 with Dak on a franchise deal and Tua as his backup? The assumption is you get a college HC who’s enamored with TT
I would IF he fell to us, not trading up..

you could also hypothetical Hurts drops late second early 3rd and a coach like Riley or meyer could use a offense similar to Baltimore's with Jackson..

so yes,

Non-Exclusive FT Dak let him get offers or play for 27, draft a QB high, and hes there as an emergency to dak leaving etc but have dak as a bridge while the new staff has time to do all the evaluations and install the schemes..

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
I would IF he fell to us, not trading up..

you could also hypothetical Hurts drops late second early 3rd and a coach like Riley or meyer could use a offense similar to Baltimore's with Jackson..

so yes,

Non-Exclusive FT Dak let him get offers or play for 27, draft a QB high, and hes there as an emergency to dak leaving etc but have dak as a bridge while the new staff has time to do all the evaluations and install the schemes..

I like what Arizona did with Murray, just kind of let him loose his rookie year and then learn from there. Plus that 27m could be another quality receiver for 10, a new TE for 8, and a star FS for 9

willia451

Reaction score
Your hypo boxes me in pretty good there. But I'll play. I'll just take what I can get and hope I can get at least a 2. If I know for a fact I'm moving on from Dak for a high draft pick QB then I'm letting my fan base know we're going into full on rebuilding mode.

Coaching staff included. Our needs are many and its going to take some time. We need LBs, DBs, DT, LG, QB, ST help. The works. So hang on.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There should be some interesting replies ahead for this thread. In the past, certain members have commented the front office should not draft players with a pre-NFL injury history. Other members have stated it would be unwise for key positions, like quarterback, to be filled with 'injury-prone' players a.k.a. 'fragile' players.

Tagovailoa has demonstrated quick read-and-release, pinpoint passing skills worthy of high first round selection. On the other hand, he has been notably beaten up playing for Nick Saban.

Reconciling wanting Tagovailoa and knowing what has happened to him at Alabama should make certain replies compelling reads.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I like what Arizona did with Murray, just kind of let him loose his rookie year and then learn from there. Plus that 27m could be another quality receiver for 10, a new TE for 8, and a star FS for 9
Tua most likely needs year to fully heal and be better if he waited like Mahomes one year behind a starter and then given the reins.. Im not wasting a high pick on qb like Tua who had many injuries this year and just start him day one..better investment to wait a year fully heal, learn an offense and then go..like I said not reading up either , if he falls to us , sure..

more reality would be Hurts or a good qb in the 2nd to learn and be ready..

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Rather have Herbert than Tua. Tua is less accurate than Dak.

I think he is going to be one of those players that is better in the pros than he was in college.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score

A 1st and a 3rd

losersgetcute

Reaction score

If Cincy wants Dak and/or Zeke I would trade them both for Joe Mixon and then draft Herbert...or straight up sign and trade Dak for Baker Mayfield then send picks and Zeke to Cincy for Mixon. I think Mayfield and Mixon could be had for cheaper right now than Dak's asking price...and they are better football players. Mayfield is on his rookie contract of 32 million ish and Mixon is about half the price of Zeke

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Problem with Tua is who is QBing in 2020. You would need a place holder

John813

Reaction score
Laremy Tunsil got two firsts and a 4th, along with Stills.

Tunsil is good but he ain't franchise level LT good.

Different position obviously, but I think if a desperate team built like the 49ers, without Jimmy G, needed a QB the Cowboys could definitely get two firsts for him.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Problem with Tua is who is QBing in 2020. You would need a place holder

Dak on the Franchise tag would work, or even a Rivers/Bridgewater/Smith 2 year deal. "You get to start until Tua beats you out, whether that's in training camp or you hold it down for a year and a half"