Let’s sign Jameis Winston

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
As Dak supporters always point out, all of Dak's bad games were caused by his teammates. Now, imagine if your teammates were the Buccaneers every game. And remember, yards per season is a REALLY important stat and Winston lead the league in it (that was sarcasm btw).

How would Winston play behind Dallas' line, with Zeke behind him, throwing to Amare being coached by McCarthy? I suspect better than in Tampa.

Bridgewater just signed for $20m over Winston. Would you take Winston at $18m per year over Dak at $35m per year? $40m per year?

I would.
Winston would play just as bad. he is immature, has no leadership skills, interception machine who can't read defense and doesn't have the heart nor desire to get better....he is a failure already.

now, in your case, if you want to win the war of spreadsheet cap math, then sign Winston, keenum or whomever...or do you plan for this team to win a championship because none of those guys will get your there.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I said close to 20%.. He will be making Russell Wilson type of money which will put him close to that number.

I would have to say that there are probably 2 or 3 guys making that kind of percentage a year. And going back in time it may be zero for that year. So your sample size is waaay too small to draw any rational conclusions about it.

Now if half the league was getting paid over 20% that would be different.

And certainly there are lots of other factors such as wasting money on other players or making good decisions elsewhere in the salary cap.

Bottom line is this is just another angle for someone like you to try and justify not liking Dak.

AS I said, you didn't like him when he was making 500k per year.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I would have to say that there are probably 2 or 3 guys making that kind of percentage a year. And going back in time it may be zero for that year. So your sample size is waaay too small to draw any rational conclusions about it.

Now if half the league was getting paid over 20% that would be different.

And certainly there are lots of other factors such as wasting money on other players or making good decisions elsewhere in the salary cap.

Bottom line is this is just another angle for someone like you to try and justify not liking Dak.

AS I said, you didn't like him when he was making 500k per year.

Ok.. You interpret facts any way you would like. It still won't make it true.

You won't pay attention to others cap %'s.. You didn't pay attention to Tony Romo's contract and what it did to the team... It's easy to cheer for Dak if you just don't care about these things.. Pay him whatever.. Who cares..

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I'm a no on Winston. You are buying a lot of baggage and a lot of potential trouble if you sign this guy.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Ok.. You interpret facts any way you would like. It still won't make it true.

You won't pay attention to others cap %'s.. You didn't pay attention to Tony Romo's contract and what it did to the team... It's easy to cheer for Dak if you just don't care about these things.. Pay him whatever.. Who cares..

LOL...……….this is what I mean. If your analysis was that Romos salary was the problem, then you just don't understand football.

Coaching, defense, Oline in the early years were why Romo didn't succeed. Not because we had a franchise QB that got paid. LOL

Its like you try to act like having a quality QB is a curse. LOL

Since when? Hilarious.

Did the Cowboys win big when Dak was making peanuts? Its all about how you manage the cap overall and the team you build. As well as who is coaching them up.

Valkyr

Reaction score
He's the most exciting player in football.

He's either exciting for you, or exciting for the other team.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Its like you try to act like having a quality QB is a curse. LOL

Since when? Hilarious.

Did the Cowboys win big when Dak was making peanuts? Its all about how you manage the cap overall and the team you build. As well as who is coaching them up.

What you want to do is win a Superbowl on their rookie deal, parade them around on their 2nd contract and brag about how good they are while not winning anything, then hopefully at the end of their career they take a discount to get back to winning championships again.

We missed out on the 1st part with Dak.. We won't miss out on the 2nd part.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
The Cowboys already have their hands full trying to accommodate Dak and Amari without adding Winston to their payroll. I'm inclined to theorize they'll opt to draft a QB at some point in this draft. If so, the main question might be at which point in the draft would they do so? I'd be shocked and flabbergasted if they opted to take on the cost of adding Winston, however.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
What you want to do is win a Superbowl on their rookie deal, parade them around on their 2nd contract and brag about how good they are while not winning anything, then hopefully at the end of their career they take a discount to get back to winning championships again.

Cmon………….90% of rookie QB's aren't capable of winning a SB. 70% are busts.

Just think about what you are saying...……………….You are talking about roughly 7-10 million dollars of salary cap.

Dak at 25 million per year would give you an extra 10 million in cap space. So what is that going to afford you? One quality starter? That's not going to make the difference. Give me the top 10 QB in his prime and 10 million less.

Its more important how you manage other parts of the cap. Like giving 15 million to one RB. And besides, you could just restructure a few players to make up for that 10 million.

You are not making sense here.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Flacco did nothing. They had arguably the best defense in NFL history and the best run game in the NFL. Could not be stopped.

Cowboys don't have that. That team would have won with ANY QB just about. Didn't have to be a rookie. Had they had a better QB, they probably win more championships.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

At this point what you are saying is that the QB isn't important anymore to winning titles.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
At this point what you are saying is that the QB isn't important anymore to winning titles.

They are important but the overall team around them is more important and it's almost impossible to build a team capable of winning a Superbowl when the QB is taking up almost 1/4 of the cap space.

You need 2 of the 3 things to win a Superbowl IMO. We won't have #1.

1. Quality QB play for cheap.

2. Quality coaching.

3. Elite defense.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
They are important but the overall team around them is more important and it's almost impossible to build a team capable of winning a Superbowl when the QB is taking up almost 1/4 of the cap space.

You need 2 of the 3 things to win a Superbowl IMO. We won't have #1.

1. Quality QB play for cheap.

2. Quality coaching.

3. Elite defense.

Well, I definitely agree that you dont need elite QB play.

Strong defense and the team around the QB I agree is the most important thing. Drop a quality QB onto a team like that and you have a championship contender. Dak his rookie year was proof of that. Problem was our coaching and defense sucked.

Quality coaching we now have. Cheap QB? Not on board with that one. IF you have a good QB, you pay him.

BUT...............I would have no issues drafting a young QB. When the kid is good enough, trade Dak. But you have to keep the QB carousel going. We have no one.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Well, I definitely agree that you dont need elite QB play.

Strong defense and the team around the QB I agree is the most important thing. Drop a quality QB onto a team like that and you have a championship contender. Dak his rookie year was proof of that. Problem was our coaching and defense sucked.

Quality coaching we now have. Cheap QB? Not on board with that one. IF you have a good QB, you pay him.

BUT...............I would have no issues drafting a young QB. When the kid is good enough, trade Dak. But you have to keep the QB carousel going. We have no one.

We will see on quality coaching.. I do not trust McCarthy without Aaron Rodgers. Especially when he was fired for basically the same reasons as Garrett and has only 1 Superbowl to show while coaching Favre/Rodgers most of his career.

Defense? Rookies and cheap vets.. Hopefully that brings us to elite but we just watched 2 of our top 3 guys walk out of here and our best young defender LVE has a injury that we are all hoping doesn't end his career.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
We will see on quality coaching.. I do not trust McCarthy without Aaron Rodgers. Especially when he was fired for basically the same reasons as Garrett and has only 1 Superbowl to show while coaching Favre/Rodgers most of his career.

Defense? Rookies and cheap vets.. Hopefully that brings us to elite but we just watched 2 of our top 3 guys walk out of here and our best young defender LVE has a injury that we are all hoping doesn't end his career.

If you watched the Packers, then you know exactly why they didnt win more SB's. They didnt have the defense or the team around Rodgers to do it. Didnt you just explain your grand theory about that?

McCarthy is head and shoulders better than Garrett. If you cant see that, I cant help you there.

Jones wasnt worth the money, not even close. Thats why he isnt here. Quinn was part of the problem. Horrible against the run. He wont be missed. Our defense was better without him.

And AGAIN..........we have tons of cap space. The team is looking up without Garrett.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
If you watched the Packers, then you know exactly why they didnt win more SB's. They didnt have the defense or the team around Rodgers to do it. Didnt you just explain your grand theory about that?

McCarthy is head and shoulders better than Garrett. If you cant see that, I cant help you there.

Jones wasnt worth the money, not even close. Thats why he isnt here. Quinn was part of the problem. Horrible against the run. He wont be missed. Our defense was better without him.

And AGAIN..........we have tons of cap space. The team is looking up without Garrett.

Ok.. Keep that lack of defense excuse handy.. You'll need it a lot going forward.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Rivers, Winston, and now Newton. It's fairly obvious some of you don't watch other teams play.

You recognize names and remember that they did something at some point in the past. :muttley: