Let’s talk LBs

RamziD

Reaction score
There’s a hole that no one is really talking about, and that is at SAM linebacker. Not a huge priority, but we lost Damien Wilson and Justin March-Lillard is listed as first on the depth chart at that position.

Here are some LBs that have the size and some traits for SLB. Feel free to add what you may know about them.

Cameron Smith, USC, 6-2 238
David Long, Jr, West Virginia, 5-11 227
Te’Von Coney, Notre Dame, 6-1 234
Khalil Hodge, Buffalo, 6-1 240
Bobby Okereke, Stanford 6-1 239
Germaine Pratt, NC State 6-2 240
Emeke Egbula, Houston, 6-2 245
Terrill Hanks, New Mexico St., 6-2 242
Ryan Connelly, Wisconsin, 6-2 242

RS12

Reaction score
Hanks has been getting some from scouts lately.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There’s a hole that no one is really talking about, and that is at SAM linebacker. Not a huge priority, but we lost Damien Wilson and Justin March-Lillard is listed as first on the depth chart at that position.

Here are some LBs that have the size and some traits for SLB. Feel free to add what you may know about them.

Jaylon Smith
In this day and age of "tweeners" being labeled "hybrid" players, Smith is the rare commodity who is truly hybrid in the sense that he has the athleticism, speed and physical makeup to play any linebacker spot in either the 3-4 or the 4-3. Smith was productive but slightly miscast in the middle of the Notre Dame defense and is better suited to play in space as a 4-3 outside linebacker.

However, his length and upfield burst could draw the attention of a 3-4 team looking to transition him into a rush linebacker while utilizing his rare cover skills.

Questfor6

Reaction score
Long is a heat seeking missile, I've watched every game he's ever played. By far the best defender WVU has had in years.

RamziD

Reaction score
Jaylon Smith
In this day and age of "tweeners" being labeled "hybrid" players, Smith is the rare commodity who is truly hybrid in the sense that he has the athleticism, speed and physical makeup to play any linebacker spot in either the 3-4 or the 4-3. Smith was productive but slightly miscast in the middle of the Notre Dame defense and is better suited to play in space as a 4-3 outside linebacker.

However, his length and upfield burst could draw the attention of a 3-4 team looking to transition him into a rush linebacker while utilizing his rare cover skills.

We would need somebody else at one of the OLB spots. I consider Lee more of a back-up now, mostly because of availability.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
I'm a USC fan and I'd say no. He's a liability at MIKE, if you put him at SAM you're basically begging the offense to attack him.
He is just a flat out football player. He seems small for a SAM but I think you find a way to get him on the field and watch him make plays.
I really like him and think he's going to end up being a very good football player for someone.

The thing about Jaylon Smith and LVE is you can put a third guy out there regardless of position and they'd be fine. For example, if you drafted David Long and feel he's best suited at WILL, you can slide Jaylon and LVE over and they'll still make plays. LVE and Jaylon are a great luxury.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We would need somebody else at one of the OLB spots. I consider Lee more of a back-up now, mostly because of availability.
The SLB plays about 30% or less of the snaps in most games.

Lee would play WLB when Jaylon is at SLB.

Joe Thomas is a quality veteran that would play WLB in those situations if Lee was injured.

March-Lillard was the star of the bottom of the roster types in training camp last year. He also fits best at WLB, IMO.

Chris Covington was drafted to play SLB but they'll play Lee if he is healthy enough to play and I don't see them wanting to take VE/Jaylon out when only 2 or 1 LB is on the field.

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Long is a heat seeking missile, I've watched every game he's ever played. By far the best defender WVU has had in years.
He is but he missed more tackles than any lber in the country because he only plays at that one speed. Harness that and he can be a good player. .

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Lot of good LBs to be had in the middle rounds this year, which is the sweet spot the Cowboys seem to like to nab them (Hitchens, Wilson, Wilbur, etc.).

Too many to name.

One guy that possibly could be in that range is Justin Hollins from Oregon. Would like the chance to grab a guy like him and see if we could develop him...6’-5” 248 lbs, legit 4.5 speed. Reminds me a bit of Anthony Barr.

Mr_437

Reaction score

Did DAL even bring any of these guys in?