Let me show you how the refs completely botched the spotting of the ball after Dak's slide

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by DOUBLE WING, Jan 17, 2022.

1. goshann

goshann Well-Known Member

327 Messages
    289 Likes Received
    Quick throw would have needed a spike as well. Nobody was getting to sidelines

2. DZSierra

DZSierra Active Member

146 Messages
    185 Likes Received
    I apologize, my fault for not reading your entire post. You lost me at the moment you stated it was an interesting play and assumed nothing after that was really worth reading.

Given the situation last night, it was a boneheaded play all around.

3. DOUBLE WING

DOUBLE WING Well-Known Member

5,511 Messages
    5,028 Likes Received
    Yes, I agree, as I stated in the first post in this thread - the play never should have been called. But that's irrelevant to the fact that once it was, the referee botched the spotting of the ball and the team should have been able to get off one more play.

4. CalPolyTechnique

CalPolyTechnique Well-Known Member

22,491 Messages
    35,737 Likes Received

1. Connor Williams didn't spot the ball in the correct place. That's the whole point of the ref having to "touch" the ball. By touching it he is acknowledging the location of the spot is either correct, or he changes the location of the spot accordingly.

2. The ref took the straightest path to the ball. Had he gone around the line to run between all the players everyone would be crying and whining that he took too long.

One thing being overlooked by 95% of our fans is that the refs ruled the ball was snapped in time, but in the process of trying to down the ball time expired. Our last play was effectively an incomplete pass attempt into the ground.

Hagman likes this.
  5. MarcusRock

MarcusRock Well-Known Member

8,778 Messages
    9,792 Likes Received
    Was going to say the exact same thing. Both plays took 8 seconds from the time the player got up with the ball to the spike. So the refs' timing was exactly the same. If Dak goes down at the 30 instead of trying to get to the 25, there's less distance for the ref to run and the ball gets back to the line quicker. Is that worth 1 second?

TheDude likes this.
  6. MarcusRock

MarcusRock Well-Known Member

8,778 Messages
    9,792 Likes Received
    Didn't know that. So they should have just thought 2 plays in advance and run the play at the end.

7. DOUBLE WING

5,511 Messages
    5,028 Likes Received

1. If you look at the Rams play, Woods spots the ball himself a full yard up from where he was tackled. I think the difference in the two situations is perhaps the visual perception created by Biadasz holding the ball. Woods immediately places the ball down, while Biadasz is holding it and then spots it himself just as the ref is approaching. It may have created the perception in the refs mind that he needed to spot it himself, rather than in the Rams situation where the ball is already sitting on the ground waiting for him to just run up and touch it. So while I disagree with Romo's take that "you have to hand the ball to the official" but if the argument is that Dak or Biadasz should have just immediately set the ball on the ground, then I'm fine with that. If they do that, the referee probably doesn't feel the need to grab the ball and set it back.

2. Perhaps. It's hard to say exactly where or when the ref started moving without seeing him before he comes into camera view. Perhaps the Gamepass Coaches Film will show a better view of it.

The ball being snapped in time is exactly why I contend there should have been one more play. If the ref simply touches the ball rather than trying to re-spot it, they likely get it clocked with a second remaining.

8. Kumala808

Kumala808 Well-Known Member

561 Messages
    491 Likes Received
    I'd still rather have 2 shots to the endzone than 1

9. beacamdim

beacamdim Well-Known Member

552 Messages
    390 Likes Received
    Let’s go over this again, more slowly for those who are having a hard time following:

Stupid, undisciplined team plays stupid, undisciplined game.

10. RomoplusDezEquals7

RomoplusDezEquals7 Well-Known Member

242 Messages
    321 Likes Received
    1.) Even if the refs spots the ball right away by spiking the ball another second runs off during that play and there isn't any time left anyway.

2.) This is all a moot point, the chances of getting in the end zone from there with all 11 defenders guarding the line is very low. He probably just adds a pick to his day.

3.) Dak had the ball 1st and 10 from the 50 yard line with 2 minutes and 3 time outs. He didn't do it. He had his chance and couldn't do it. It is what it is. He's on the roster and anyone willing to admit knows he's an average QB on a very talented team that fleeced Jerry and Stephen into the worst contract they've probably ever given. And once again it all comes down to Jerry not being able to manage a team because he won't hire a real GM and let him or her make the decisions.

NotForLong and Hagman like this.
  11. Captain43Crash

Captain43Crash Well-Known Member

5,627 Messages
    5,943 Likes Received
    We played like crap, but still should have had 1 more play. The ref blew it. The league should have called down and gave us 1 more play.

It would have been amazing if we had that last play and scored a TD!!!!

NotForLong and DOUBLE WING like this.
  12. Captain43Crash

Captain43Crash Well-Known Member

5,627 Messages
    5,943 Likes Received
    It really wasn’t that stupid. It usually takes 11-12 seconds on a play like that where the QB needs to spike the ball without any timeouts. The Niners were giving us 15 easy yards. No one was in the middle of the field.

NotForLong likes this.
  13. Jason 82 Witten

Jason 82 Witten Well-Known Member

1,566 Messages
    1,460 Likes Received
    It was a bad game all the way around, but blaming the refs on the spot takes some blame away from Dak and you know people don’t want that.

14. beacamdim

beacamdim Well-Known Member

552 Messages
    390 Likes Received
    more like dak shirking responsibility and blaming others like the whiny millennial he is.

Romo, Aikman and Staubach always took public responsibility, even when they had been screwed or other teammates had screwed up

Horrible look all around. You can rest assured that Dak’s agents have already been in his ear and that there will be a public apology today.

NotForLong and shabazz like this.
  15. boysbeyond4ever

boysbeyond4ever Active Member

242 Messages
    157 Likes Received
    Oops double post

16. DOUBLE WING

5,511 Messages
    5,028 Likes Received

His point about looking for the official and handing him the ball is wrong. The Rams GIF in the first post of this thread proves that.

Orlovsky is creating a fictional rule. There is no requirement to hand the ball to the referee.

17. DZSierra

DZSierra Active Member

146 Messages
    185 Likes Received
    I'm not a head NFL coach, but given it was the playoffs with very little amount of time to play, and given where Dallas was located to get to the end zone, one MUST assume Mr. Murphy will come into play. My understanding (and I could be wrong) is they wanted to get a little closer to the goal line from where they were at. End of day, you don't want to cut it SO CLOSE to where you're relying on a NFL referee to do his job to perfection so you can get ONE play off. You HAVE TO ASSUME that the referee is not going to get it perfect with so little time left.

We could go back on fourth on the referee not getting it right on the last place, but end of day, nothing has changed and the cowboys are out.

The reality is others have alluded to, Dallas screwed the Pooch the drive before. It was like the 49's wanted to give the game away, but Dallas couldn't convert when they needed to. THAT is the issue.

18. DOUBLE WING

5,511 Messages
    5,028 Likes Received
    1. If the ref touches instead of grabbing and re-spotting the ball, as in the Rams play in the OP, they likely clock it with a second left.

2 and 3 may be true, but are irrelevant to the topic at hand.

19. Bigdog

Bigdog Well-Known Member

10,704 Messages
    10,333 Likes Received
    The ref still has to touch the ball. Those are the rules. We need to stop blaming the ref and take the loss. We had 14 penalties for 89 yards which is more than our yards rushing. 6 of those penalties were pre snap penalties. Our $100 million dollars players did not show up. We got outcoached, out played, and basically the Niners wanted it more. Stop making excuses. We lost. Let’s get over it.

20. DOUBLE WING

5,511 Messages
    5,028 Likes Received
    Yes, again that all may be true, but the point of this one specific thread is simply to talk about this one specific play. Whether or not it was a dumb play call (it was) or whether it the ensuing play would have worked is irrelevant. What they did the drive before is irrelevant. All I'm simply pointing out is that they should have been able to run one more play based on this scenario.