Let the speculation begin, Jets drafted Safety Ashtyn Davis

Cowboyny

Reaction score
The Jets decided to use another premium pick at safety when they drafted Ashtyn Davis in the third rd. It is quite surprising since they already have two quality starters at the position with Jamal Adams & Marcus Maye. Perhaps they want to use some 3 Safety looks, but the bigger question is Jamal Adams playing on the last year of his contract.

He already came out and said he will not participate in any off-season activities. He wants to long-term extension now. The Jet organization is known to be extremely frugal, in my opinion, he is more likely to be traded then resigned.

Is he worth giving up a premium package and handing him a market setting contract?

Sandyf

Reaction score
If Jets are going to trade Adam's, the longer it goes the less they get. Right now a 1st is the most they will get and they might even settle for a 2and since the team getting him will have to pay big money to keep him. Any smart team would have an extension contract in place with him before they do the trade.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
The speculation never stopped for me. I still believe it's better than 50/50 that he is a Cowboy before the trade deadline. The draft is just more smoke. Jets add a safety early and Dallas ignores the position. Maybe they both know it's an inevitable move.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Jets decided to use another premium pick at safety when they drafted Ashtyn Davis in the third rd. It is quite surprising since they already have two quality starters at the position with Jamal Adams & Marcus Maye. Perhaps they want to use some 3 Safety looks, but the bigger question is Jamal Adams playing on the last year of his contract.

He already came out and said he will not participate in any off-season activities. He wants to long-term extension now. The Jet organization is known to be extremely frugal, in my opinion, he is more likely to be traded then resigned.

Is he worth giving up a premium package and handing him a market setting contract?

Ashtyn Davis is a FS that leans more towards CB skills than Strong Safety skills.

Jamal Adams is a Strong Safety.

Marcus Maye has 1 year remaining under contract.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Ashtyn Davis is a FS that leans more towards CB skills than Strong Safety skills.

You have too much time on your hands, lol.

joshjwp

Reaction score
The Colts took a safety in the 3rd also. I'm almost more interested in Hooker personally. He is more of a ballhawk and would be cheaper trade and contract wise.

Mr_437

Reaction score

Yeah Maybe is almost out of there and Davis will pair nicely with Adams.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah Maybe is almost out of there and Davis will pair nicely with Adams.

As someone mentioned, they might have drafted him to play CB.

Some D-Coordinators are putting a bigger emphasis on Nickel CBs with Safety type skills vs the run.

The alignment of Nickel CBs on slot WRs put them right up near the end of the OLine and right in the action on run plays.

Belichick sometimes flips his Strong Safety and Nickel CB. He put the SS right up in the face of the slot WR with the Nickel CB and the FS in a 2-deep Safety look.

The 49ers in 2019 and Rams in 2018 got to the Super Bowl in large part due to their dominant run games. D-Coordinators are always scheming to adapt. For a period of time that it was the read-option. Now it's the resurgence and variations of zone run blocking.

Side Note: Not all D-Coordinators scheme against recent trends. Marinelli just continued to do what worked when Warren Sapp was his 3tech DT...

Chuck 54

Reaction score
If Adams skips the whole offseason and training camp, as many players do, he can show up the first week of the season and be just fine. So skipping workouts is nothing.

unless someone is dumb enough to give the Jets a #1, they will use Adams this year on his rookie contract, then sign him or tag and trade.

So many are all wrapped up in a few million dollars for Crawford, but want to pay 15 million for an in the box safety who doesn’t cover well and doesn’t get interceptions.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

:hammer:

Thanks for saving me all that typing!
:thumbup:

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
The offer last season was for a first, so that ship has sailed.

Most I offer is a second now...………….take it or leave it Jets.

Cowboyny

Reaction score

Both Adams & Maye are fa's next season. Your right that Davis is more of a Free Safety, but they did use another premium pick at the position. Coverage safeties are in higher demand. The pick may have nothing to do with Adams, but if they wanted to sign him to a long-term extension, they wouldn't even have discussions with other teams about him.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
While I would love Adams the Jets just picked up his 5th year option this morning.

Reactions: BAT

DFWJC

Reaction score
The offer last season was for a first, so that ship has sailed.

Most I offer is a second now...………….take it or leave it Jets.
yeah.
If you wait until after the draft then you're going to get less present value by default.
But now that it's a 2021 draft pick....it'll be 1st ---which is same trade value as 2020 2nd rounder.

fivetwos

Reaction score
At this point if they trade Adams it will be once games start and he is still holding out.

He is their best and most popular player and that's the only chance they have to sell it to their fan base.

I dont think the new holdout rules would make that possible from Adams' end, so I cant really see this happening at this point.

Maybe next April if things continue badly.

And itll still probably cost more than just a first.