Let's Talk About The Eagles

mcmvp

Reaction score
The Eagirls have ran their organization terribly. They had a solid off-season last year. Doesn't make up for the years of bad.management.

That’s one way of looking at it. The Chip Kelly hire turned out to be a disaster. At the time of the hire they were praised for being a forward thinking organization that is willing to take chances.

But is it bad management because a hire doesn’t work out, or is it good management to realize it and make the necessary corrections vs continually accepting the status quo and selling the fans a bill of goods?

Verdict

Reaction score
Man too many of you are viewing the Eagles as the team that will take over the dominant run that the Patriots have had for the past 10 years or so.
Let's not rewrite history here.

The Eagles have been really bad for some time. Last year they were much better. They were picking at the top of each draft round and now they are picking on the bottom of each round. Teams will start poaching their better players, or resigning them will take up a larger chunk of the cap. The cap is a significant equalizer.

I don't think the Eagles will fall off the map this year. They have too much talent for that. Their lines are solid. But they had a ton of good fortune go their way last year.

I expect them to challenge for the NFCE title again, but then again the Cowboys, Giants and Skins will all have a chance. There is a reason there hasn't been a repeat champ in many years.

Verdict

Reaction score
Doubtful on keeping players past this year.

They are way over the CAP next year already without their rookie signings from the draft next year.
They need to trade Foles to help them a little. Wentz is coming up soon for a contract.
You can't keep pushing money forward.
We did it with bad results.

Yeah, but the guys who don't see these factors live in the land of unicorns and rainbows.

Verdict

Reaction score
they lost their best o-lineman, best linebacker and starting qb to injuries. perhaps we define good fortune differently.

They had the depth to replace it. That's part preparation and part luck. The injuries could have occurred where they did not have a reasonably acceptable sunstitute.

They also had some good fortune against Minnesota. It is arguable that they lucked into the SB. Minnesota laid an egg that game.

MD2020

Reaction score
They had the depth to replace it. That's part preparation and part luck. The injuries could have occurred where they did not have a reasonably acceptable sunstitute.

They also had some good fortune against Minnesota. It is arguable that they lucked into the SB. Minnesota laid an egg that game.

Yes, the Eagles lucked into the Super Bowl by *checks notes* completely dominating the other team.

MD2020

Reaction score
I mean, if you're going to make that argument, Atlanta is a much better example. Not the team they beat by 31 points.

CPanther95

Reaction score
Man too many of you are viewing the Eagles as the team that will take over the dominant run that the Patriots have had for the past 10 years or so.

The Eagles have been really bad for some time. Last year they were much better. They were picking at the top of each draft round and now they are picking on the bottom of each round.

The 4 drafts before they won the Super Bowl, their draft positions were 12, 13, 20, 22 - the Cowboys' were 28, 4, 27, 16.

Eagles averaged pick # 17, the Cowboys averaged Pick #19.

mcmvp

Reaction score

The Eagles have been really bad for some time. Last year they were much better. They were picking at the top of each draft round and now they are picking on the bottom of each round. Teams will start poaching their better players, or resigning them will take up a larger chunk of the cap. The cap is a significant equalizer.

I don't think the Eagles will fall off the map this year. They have too much talent for that. Their lines are solid. But they had a ton of good fortune go their way last year.

I expect them to challenge for the NFCE title again, but then again the Cowboys, Giants and Skins will all have a chance. There is a reason there hasn't been a repeat champ in many years.

That’s news to me.

Batman1980

Reaction score
The 4 drafts before they won the Super Bowl, their draft positions were 12, 13, 20, 22 - the Cowboys' were 28, 4, 27, 16.

Doug Pederson was the right man at the right time. They weathered losing several key players that would break most teams and won the Super Bowl. Can't argue against that without avoiding logic.

Verdict

Reaction score

If you go all the way back to the 60s with the draft position it's not quite as relevant. We were 28th and they were 12th in the draft prior to last year. That's significant.

This year the Eagles were dead last. That will have an effect on them.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Okay, I'll talk about the Eagles. I liked their concert last month in Arlington but I didn't appreciate it when the bass player thanked the audience for their applause by saying, " thank you, Houston". Other than that it was about as good as an Eagles concert could have been without Glen Frey. RIP Glen.

As for the philthy iggles, may they have the worst of luck, forevermore.

mcmvp

Reaction score
If you go all the way back to the 60s with the draft position it's not quite as relevant. We were 28th and they were 12th in the draft prior to last year. That's significant.

He used the last 4 years...he didn’t go back to the 60s lol.

You’re looking to make a point where there isn’t one

CPanther95

Reaction score

True, it didn't take 57 years to build last year's SB team - but it certainly took more than 1.

If all it took for them to win the Super Bowl was a single draft where they picked at #12, why the hell didn't the Cowboys win one after picking at #4?

Bigdog

Reaction score
The Eagles deserve to win last year as hard as that is to say but like any champion they do have issues. Can they keep the team together? The Eagles are going to have to pay some of their players or let go of some their good ones. I read where they anticipated that the cap would go up a certain amount this year and it didn't. They went all in. Good players are going to be let go which means can they protect Wentz and with that can he stay healthy? He has had an injury the last three years. He is a good player, no questioned about it but I would still take Dak and Elliott over him due to the fact you get two good players for one and the price was way too high. We will see how this pans out.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
That’s one way of looking at it. The Chip Kelly hire turned out to be a disaster. At the time of the hire they were praised for being a forward thinking organization that is willing to take chances.

But is it bad management because a hire doesn’t work out, or is it good management to realize it and make the necessary corrections vs continually accepting the status quo and selling the fans a bill of goods?
Even prior to Kelly it was poor. They do deserve props for the quick turn around though. I thought Kelly set them back some years. I don't like them but I will give them credit for the past two years.

Praxit

Reaction score
..nothing to really say, but they are the team to beat. Unfortunately, we play them twice..

805BoysInBlue

Reaction score
They won the division when 2 of the NFC East biggest game changers where not really available. [Zeke and Becky]. I wasnt impressed by them until the Vikings play off game.

mcmvp

Reaction score
Even prior to Kelly it was poor. They do deserve props for the quick turn around though. I thought Kelly set them back some years. I don't like them but I will give them credit for the past two years.

Lurie has been a pretty damn good owner and has hired some good number crunchers. I was never a huge fan of Joe Banner, but he managed the cap better than most teams do...and Roseman learned under him.

They will not be as cap strapped as many seem to think. Sure there will be challenges, But every team has those. I think some people think they will have to part ways with good players still in their prime. I don’t think that will be the case. We’ll see.

mcmvp

Reaction score

Lurie has been a pretty damn good owner and has hired some good number crunchers. I was never a huge fan of Joe Banner, but he managed the cap better than most teams do...and Roseman learned under him.
The Eagles deserve to win last year as hard as that is to say but like any champion they do have issues. Can they keep the team together? The Eagles are going to have to pay some of their players or let go of some their good ones. I read where they anticipated that the cap would go up a certain amount this year and it didn't. They went all in. Good players are going to be let go which means can they protect Wentz and with that can he stay healthy? He has had an injury the last three years. He is a good player, no questioned about it but I would still take Dak and Elliott over him due to the fact you get two good players for one and the price was way too high. We will see how this pans out.

Hadenough

Reaction score

They will lose players to other teams but with Wentz they won't need a whole roster of elite players. I actually do think Wentz is gonna be a problem for the rest of the NFC like Brady was for the AFC.