Lets talk Luke Schoonmaker

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Let's talk about one of CZ favorite whipping boys. A late 2nd round pick that some expected to come in a big the next great TE. He is a rook and that will take time. He won't put up big receiving numbers because he is so low on the receiving depth chart (Lamb, Ferg, Cooks, Gallup, Pollard, Tolbert, Turpin and Dowdle ahead of him). But he is getting better and will be much improved next year. We've seen how big he is and will be a big target for Dak in the next few years. He plays a big role in special teams and as for his blocking, well...

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Let's talk about one of CZ favorite whipping boys. He won't put up big receiving numbers because he is so low on the receiving depth chart (Lamb, Ferg, Cooks, Gallup, Pollard, Tolbert, Turpin and Dowdle ahead of him). But he is getting better and will be much improved next year. We've seen how big he is and will be a big target for Dak in the next few years. He plays a big role in special teams and as for his blocking, well...

He has been looking alot more comfortable the 2nd half of the season. Would have had a game winner against Philadelphia if the refs werent blind. I dont think he will ever surplant Ferguson, and that was alot of peoples issue with the pick, but at least he is starting to take advantage of his opportunities

Chuck 54

Reaction score
You'd think fans would have learned by now not to judge any drafted player before year 2-3, not even a first rounder.
Even if he never beats out Ferguson, that doesn't mean it was a bad pick. IF he continues to progress, maybe next year we go with more 2 TE - 2 WR sets since we can't seem to find or afford a decent #3 anyway. Then the run game should improve and Dak will have 2 big targets in the seams. Most teams struggle to find one guy who can cover a TE, much less 2.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Ferguson is a big part of this offense right now.

If we took the guard myself and most others wanted in the 2nd, that player wouldn’t be contributing at all right now.

At least we stopped having tight ends that constantly whiff on run blocks.

rambo2

Reaction score
Let's talk about one of CZ favorite whipping boys. A late 2nd round pick that some expected to come in a big the next great TE. He is a rook and that will take time. He won't put up big receiving numbers because he is so low on the receiving depth chart (Lamb, Ferg, Cooks, Gallup, Pollard, Tolbert, Turpin and Dowdle ahead of him). But he is getting better and will be much improved next year. We've seen how big he is and will be a big target for Dak in the next few years. He plays a big role in special teams and as for his blocking, well...

He is a good player. He gives them a great 1, 2 punch at tight end.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
So far he’s been the least productive of any of the TEs we drafted in the second round. None of those TE’s ever saw a second contract with the team and I don’t expect he will either. We’re 12 games into the season and he’s only caught 7 balls for 61 yards. He has a couple of TDs from a yard out. He’s had at least a couple of drops. I was not happy with his selection on draft day. He hasn’t come close to living up to his second round draft status. The emergence of Jake Ferguson makes the pick look even worse. Ferguson showed potential as a rookie and continues to get better. He’s looked like what you would expect from a second round pick, but he was drafted in the fourth round.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wasted pick. We have Jake and Peyton signed through 2025 (PH is a restricted FA after 2024). Could have used OL or LB more.
Cowboys prioritized and he was drafted for immediate impact blocking and special teams. He has done that.

He was higher on their board than OL or LB. I know fans who don't like the pick overlook that simple fact a lot.

dagreat1_87

Reaction score
it's not that Schoon is a bad player, it's just that we should've went in another direction with that pick. I (and others) said before the draft that Ferguson was looking to be a good player and we didn't need another TE and here we are.

Not apples to apples but i knew after the pick this would turn out to be a Witten/Martellus Bennett type of situation. Schoonmaker may very well turn into a decent player but he likely won't be getting a 2nd contract if Ferguson keeps doing what he's doing,

jujoboys

Reaction score
Wasted pick. We have Jake and Peyton signed through 2025 (PH is a restricted FA after 2024). Could have used OL or LB more.
Probably not good timing on using Hendershot as an example of why we didn't need to draft Schoonmaker since Hendershot has been hurt and has only played in 3 games this season. I agree that we had much bigger needs than TE when we were drafting in the 2nd round. I would have been looking for OLine depth.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
it's not that Schoon is a bad player, it's just that we should've went in another direction with that pick. I (and others) said before the draft that Ferguson was looking to be a good player and we didn't need another TE and here we are.

Not apples to apples but i knew after the pick this would turn out to be a Witten/Martellus Bennett type of situation. Schoonmaker may very well turn into a decent player but he likely won't be getting a 2nd contract if Ferguson keeps doing what he's doing,
I guess you forget the Cowboys run a 12 offense.

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
Cowboys prioritized and he was drafted for immediate impact blocking and special teams. He has done that.

He was higher on their board than OL or LB. I know fans who don't like the pick overlook that simple fact a lot.

I’d dispute that he was higher on the board than O’Cyrus. The team felt desperate for a TE because there was a crazy run on them before we picked in round 2. Schoon had a round 3 grade.

JustChip

Reaction score
He looks worth it to me, especially iif there is an injury to Ferguson over the next 5 years.
And that’s what many ignore when complaining about the pick. There was and is no guarantee Ferguson doesn’t go down due to injury at any point (ergo, Stevens). With Schultz leaving, the cupboard was bare behind Ferguson. Hendershot is 1-dimensional; he couldn’t block me and I’m a portly senior citizen.

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
Probably not good timing on using Hendershot as an example of why we didn't need to draft Schoonmaker since Hendershot has been hurt and has only played in 3 games this season. I agree that we had much bigger needs than TE when we were drafting in the 2nd round. I would have been looking for OLine depth.

True but we also had McKeon who’s been a solid blocking TE for us.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Why is the OP talking about a guy we don't even see on the field, he's done a few good things