Let's try to do a process of elimination for positions in rd 1

Cowboyny

Reaction score
QB-HC and front office still believe in their QB, probably will take a day 3 flyer on another one.
RB-Robinson is a potential superstar, but it's high unlikely a top 10 talent falls to 26
WR-JSN would be terrific with Lamb/Cooks, but probably is the 1st receiver drafted.
TE-Mayer/Kincaid/Washington/Mustgrave-they haven't taken a 1st rd TE since the 90's, have had success with 4th rd TE's
OL-Schmitz, Torrence, Avilia, Harrison-cannot see the team redshirting a 1st rd pick, only starts if injury occurs
NT-Smith/Ika-they haven't drafted a NT higher then day 3 in decades. Must have pass rush abilities to be considered
Edge-McDonald-DLaw's contract has to come off their books, Fowler/Armstrong are fa's after the season
Linebacker-Sanders-Lve just has a 2 yr contract, Clark and several other low level prospects behind him.
Corner-Banks/Forbes/Ringo-both Diggs/Gilmore are fa's in 2024
Safety-Branch-Hooker/Kearse are fa's in 2024

rambo2

Reaction score
QB-HC and front office still believe in their QB, probably will take a day 3 flyer on another one.
RB-Robinson is a potential superstar, but it's high unlikely a top 10 talent falls to 26
WR-JSN would be terrific with Lamb/Cooks, but probably is the 1st receiver drafted.
TE-Mayer/Kincaid/Washington/Mustgrave-they haven't taken a 1st rd TE since the 90's, have had success with 4th rd TE's
OL-Schmitz, Torrence, Avilia, Harrison-cannot see the team redshirting a 1st rd pick, only starts if injury occurs
NT-Smith/Ika-they haven't drafted a NT higher then day 3 in decades. Must have pass rush abilities to be considered
Edge-McDonald-DLaw's contract has to come off their books, Fowler/Armstrong are fa's after the season
Linebacker-Sanders-Lve just has a 2 yr contract, Clark and several other low level prospects behind him.
Any oline pick would be a starter.

Sydla

Reaction score
Remember, Steele won't be ready until October or so if you believe the reports.

So any rookie interior OL taken in the first will likely get a chance to start with the two Smiths playing the two OT positions. Now when Steele gets back? Then it gets interesting.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
If Robinson is somehow available there is no doubt they take him. That’s not likely so I think they will look at TE, Edge, and CB. McDonald looks like a real possibility especially if the team isn’t comfortable with Kincaid’s back.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
It's not a matter of believing, but is there an Elite type QB in this draft? Replacing one non elite QB with another end up same thing but complains change to a different name. Remember Romo? But I agree there isn't a QB that's going to fall that far and I don't see elite. So no QB

No WR unless elite type they live falls to them. So I don't see that

No DT as we normally shun the position and doubt if Carter falls that far.

No TE as I think it's a deep draft and they will wait.

No LB as I don't think any one is going to fall and the second group is pretty close and we can get one later.

They went OL last year. So not sure they do that. But then again...

No first round safeties this draft

So maybe CB, DE, RB if Bijan falls. Why I say CB is to give them some leverage in Diggs negotiations.

DE in anticipation of Lawrence being gone.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
It's not a matter of believing, but is there an Elite type QB in this draft? Replacing one non elite QB with another end up same thing but complains change to a different name. Remember Romo? But I agree there isn't a QB that's going to fall that far and I don't see elite. So no QB

No WR unless elite type they live falls to them. So I don't see that

No DT as we normally shun the position and doubt if Carter falls that far.

No TE as I think it's a deep draft and they will wait.

No LB as I don't think any one is going to fall and the second group is pretty close and we can get one later.

They went OL last year. So not sure they do that. But then again...

No first round safeties this draft

So maybe CB, DE, RB if Bijan falls. Why I say CB is to give them some leverage in Diggs negotiations.

DE in anticipation of Lawrence being gone.
Branch is most definitely a 1st rd safety. Think when Robinson goes ahead of us, the value is going to be more of a defensive player, outside of taking a TE.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Remember, Steele won't be ready until October or so if you believe the reports.

So any rookie interior OL taken in the first will likely get a chance to start with the two Smiths playing the two OT positions. Now when Steele gets back? Then it gets interesting.
Did you see the Steele video from yesterday, looks like he will be ready opening week.

InPhiltraitor

Reaction score
You can remove Steele from the equation and just consider the other side of the line.

Tyron could trip on a tube of Dak’s Tattoo Goo and be out for 4-6 weeks. If the fallback is moving Smith to Tackle and plugging-in Farniok, I’m not feeling super confident. Besides, one of these days the stalwart on the right side of the line is going to get old.

The Cowboys should consider beefing-up the line if their BPA falls to them. Given the upcoming contract situations, I wouldn't have an issue with taking Banks at 26.

Gambit

Reaction score
You can remove Steele from the equation and just consider the other side of the line.

Tyron could trip on a tube of Dak’s Tattoo Goo and be out for 4-6 weeks. If the fallback is moving Smith to Tackle and plugging-in Farniok, I’m not feeling super confident. Besides, one of these days the stalwart on the right side of the line is going to get old.

The Cowboys should consider beefing-up the line if their BPA falls to them. Given the upcoming contract situations, I wouldn't have an issue with taking Banks at 26.
One possible draft plan would be Schmitz then grab and stash Vorhees.

Gives us the guard for this year in Schmitz who can slide over and replace Bidass next year and Vorhees can then lock down LG spot. Doubt they are thinking that way though.

cnuball21

Reaction score
One possible draft plan would be Schmitz then grab and stash Vorhees.

Gives us the guard for this year in Schmitz who can slide over and replace Bidass next year and Vorhees can then lock down LG spot. Doubt they are thinking that way though.
Love the idea of stashing Voorhees. We just signed a solid backup OG in FA so it’s not a super urgent need. Would give him a red shirt year .

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think its got TE written all over it at 26.

I just don't know which one they like.
If they wanna run more as they said it may be Washington but I'd go Kincaid 100% as the guy that can get down the seam

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I think its got TE written all over it at 26.

I just don't know which one they like.
If they wanna run more as they said it may be Washington but I'd go Kincaid 100% as the guy that can get down the seam
They haven't use a 1st rd pick on the TE position for over 30 years. I think with the success of Shultz, they feel they can draft another in day 3. Excellent year needing a TE.

Sydla

Reaction score
Did you see the Steele video from yesterday, looks like he will be ready opening week.
And we heard the same thing on Gallup at this time, that he might be ready sooner than he was.

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
They haven't use a 1st rd pick on the TE position for over 30 years. I think with the success of Shultz, they feel they can draft another in day 3. Excellent year needing a TE.
I think the fact they came out and said Dak needs more weapons leans me toward a pass catcher.
Do you want #1 TE or #4 CB???

And I think this year the TE are good enough to have first round grades

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I think the fact they came out and said Dak needs more weapons leans me toward a pass catcher.
Do you want #1 TE or #4 CB???

And I think this year the TE are good enough to have first round grades
Didn't they get that with Cooks?

RS12

Reaction score
I don't feel the O Line is as set as you do this year and beyond. I wouldnt rule out any position on offense. On defense look at the players HC in waiting Quinn worked on their pro days.