RELEASED Linehan officially gone **merged**

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Garrett’s offense is reportedly a mix of his time as a backup QB in Dallas and his time as a coach in Miami. That means he picked up things from Linehan and knew Linehan would have an easy time picking up the offense because he already knew some of it.
That was my understanding as well. I don’t recall the particulars but their familiarity with each other’s offense and their brief time in Miami together were the keys to bringing Linehan on board.

Thanks for clarifying more clearly. I might not have stated it as correctly as you have .

StarHead69

Reaction score
I’m excited to see Linehan gone. He had a good run, but the league caught up to him and actually passed him by. This is definitely a glass-half-full situation in my book. I suppose we could all moan and groan since Garrett is still here, but why not just celebrate the great news we just got?

triplets_93

Reaction score
I can't go through this entire thread so maybe this has been talked about already but....

It was Dallas Cowboys coach Jason Garrett who made the decision to take the offense in a new direction with the firing of coordinator Scott Linehan, according to sources.

https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/nfl/dallas-cowboys/article224774265.html

It was Garrett's call.

It's too bad we don't have a "Fired" Banner, because the idea that Scott Linehan has Retired, and was not "Fired," is laughable.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
giphy.gif

peaveyman

Reaction score

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
I can't go through this entire thread so maybe this has been talked about already but....

It was Dallas Cowboys coach Jason Garrett who made the decision to take the offense in a new direction with the firing of coordinator Scott Linehan, according to sources.

https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/nfl/dallas-cowboys/article224774265.html

It was Garrett's call.

I’ve brought this up 1000 times today...be glad not to have read through it. But yes he was”his guy” but it’s being swept away

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Surprised how many here are buying this as some momentous difference-maker.

Linehan was JG's guy. Jerry made him hire an OC and Jason picked his buddy from Miami. They run the same offense. They're very close friends. If you think JG wasn't heavily involved in this offense, you're crazy.

And do you really think they'll hire someone to install a completely new system with significantly different concepts? I don't. It'll be something very similar that JG can relate to. Which means not much change next year.

But I'm sure Jerry is getting reports of widespread fan glee and is rubbing his hands together thinking about how he's fooled them again for next training camp.

That's why pretty much all the assistants are staying. It would be easier for a coach bringing in a new scheme to also bring in offensive assistants who know how to run it. If the new offensive coordinator is the one who is going to have to adapt his scheme to Garrett's, then it makes sense to keep assistants who know Garrett's scheme.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Here's Bradley McDonald's take on it (aka Footsdaking). I find Footsdaking's videos exceptionally good and worth watching whether you agree with his premise or not. Here's my own take on the change. IMO this will end up being worth it if the result is an offense that is no longer so predictable. The Rams playoff game was incredibly frustrating because their defense had our number. The Rams are already an outstanding team loaded with talent, so for them to have the advantage of knowing exactly what they needed to counter put our guys in an extremely difficult position to succeed.

My fears are that Garrett will take over play calling and just keep running the same vanilla and uncreative offense. I remember before Linehan called plays and Garrett was calling them, that's exactly what we saw. When Linehan took over the play calling, it was an upgrade. The offense started doing better. I would rather the team brought in a new OC whose job it would be to call the plays rather than trust Garrett to do that. I would rather see an OC create a whole new O-playbook designed for the personnel that we have. Some of the defenses we saw knew what we would be doing, but couldn't stop us anyway. They knew Zeke would be running up the middle, but didn't have the talent to stop him. That's all well and good when it works, but the Rams did have the talent to stop him. I would also like an OC who makes friggin' adjustments when we need them. It's frustrating when the same scheme that you struggled to get any yards with in the first half gets trodded back out on the field in the 3rd quarter.

AmericanCowboy

Reaction score
Garrett will try to hire an OC to call plays. It allows him plausible deniability, while making it seem like he is being a good guy.

Frankly, i'd be shocked if he went back to calling plays. The blame would then be soley on him when we struggle and his scheme is shown to be bland and vanilla, and he can't have that.