Lions are planning to draft a WR again

Gryphon

Merge Ahead
Reaction score
from Adam Schefter
http://www.nfl.com/draft/features/blog

The Detroit Lions organization met Friday and concluded that, unless a blockbuster trade offer comes their way, they will draft Georgia Tech wide receiver Calvin Johnson.

Many will deduce that this decision is a matter of posturing, but the organization insisted it wasn't. Nor did it sound like it. Detroit has decided that if Oakland goes with LSU quarterback JaMarcus Russell, as many expect, it has no choice but to draft the next best player on its board, Johnson.

Lions offensive coordinator Mike Martz was one of the key cogs in the decision, getting the rest of the organization excited about the way he would use Johnson. It should be enough to scare other teams in the NFC North.

But the Lions made it very clear Friday night that their past failures at wide receiver will not deter them from revisiting the position.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
if i was them and no one offered a huge deal for the pick.....i take CJ in a heartbeat.

Williams, Johnson, and Furrey would be a very nice trio.....they would also have Mike Williams, Drummond (KR), and McDonald (FA from Rams) to fill out their WR group.

Then use the rest of the draft for defense and OL

Wimbo

Reaction score
smoke%202.jpg

Achozen

Sounds From The Lair
Reaction score
Biggems;1472273 said:
if i was them and no one offered a huge deal for the pick.....i take CJ in a heartbeat.

Williams, Johnson, and Furrey would be a very nice trio.....they would also have Mike Williams, Drummond (KR), and McDonald (FA from Rams) to fill out their WR group.

Then use the rest of the draft for defense and OL
That one be one deadly set of WRS.

Big Dakota

Reaction score
Well if Oak stays put and takes someone other than Johnson, Detroit has to take him if they stay at 2.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Schefter said on NFLN tonight that Tampa wants him badly. A deal could still be done. Atlanta of course still has Johnson on their radar.

ntamez

Reaction score
Could Millen get mixed up and pick Jarret with the 2nd overall pick?

Wolfpack

Reaction score
ntamez;1472377 said:
Could Millen get mixed up and pick Jarret with the 2nd overall pick?

No way.

After all the issues in the prior years Matt has done his homework this year. Sources say that he has a big pink post-it note PLUS a black sharpe note on the back of his hand. Both read "check for quarter in pocket before leaving hotel"