Twitter: Lions sign CB Mike Jackson off Cowboys practice squad

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Of course, we got Amari Cooper with our first round pick, and McGovern has been injured, and Pollard looks to be a nice 3rd round find. Wilson looked good in preseason, so we might get some use out of him. In all, there is still hope for a productive group.

I'm pretty concerned about Hill though. We've had injuries to Woods and Crawford and he still hasn't been able to step in and show anything. I won't give up on him yet - it's still early - but early signs aren't good.

Yea, we traded our draft pick in 2019 for Amari in 2018. So when you look at new impact players for this year, no Amari is not one of them.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yea, we traded our draft pick in 2019 for Amari in 2018. So when you look at new impact players for this year, no Amari is not one of them.
The fact that our 2019 1st round draft pick actually started reaping benefits in 2018 would seem to be a plus, not a minus.

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
Whatever you do from here on out Michael just remember ...Don't Stop Til You Get Enough

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
The fact that our 2019 1st round draft pick actually started reaping benefits in 2018 would seem to be a plus, not a minus.

It is a plus, specifically for 2018. But teams that are stagnant tend to regress. And for the most part, outside of Robert Quinn (who is a home run), we are the same team as 2018. Cobb is a downgrade from Beasley. Yes he's bigger, but he's clearly not as good. And Christian Covington is a JAG. Add to that we got NOTHING from the actual draft picks and that explains a lot about where we are right now.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
It's really tough to draft as bad as we did in 2019. 2nd round, Hill, nothing. 3rd round, McGovern, nothing. 4th round, Pollard, some, but not much. 5th round, Jackson and Jackson, cut and nothing. Only goes down hill from there.

Way to early to say that. Especially about Mcgovern. He hasn't played due to injury. And imo Wilson would prove himself if they actually played him.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
It's really tough to draft as bad as we did in 2019. 2nd round, Hill, nothing. 3rd round, McGovern, nothing. 4th round, Pollard, some, but not much. 5th round, Jackson and Jackson, cut and nothing. Only goes down hill from there.

If Hill pans out and McGovern recovers from injury to comes out next year to compete on the OL, it's a really good draft class IMO. Throw in Wilson at Safety and Jalen Jelks, if he makes the team then that's a success as well. We still have a chance to have a good draft class.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Way to early to say that. Especially about Mcgovern. He hasn't played due to injury. And imo Wilson would prove himself if they actually played him.

I'm reffering only to the impact on the 2019 season. I am not declaring the draft class a failure

stuckindc

Reaction score
Dont forget , if we didn't trade for Amari, our record would have been much worse and all the draft slots would have been higher..So yes Amari did effect the draft...dramatically

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Dont forget , if we didn't trade for Amari, our record would have been much worse and all the draft slots would have been higher..So yes Amari did effect the draft...dramatically

I'm not knocking the Amari trade. It was great. Would do it again.

I'm knocking the lack of improvements from the team in 2018 to 2019. We downgraded going from Beasley to Cobb. We got Witten back and he's playing well, but I'm not sure *how much* of a drop off Jarwin is (so he may just be a progress stopper). Quinn is amazing, rest of the defense is the same.

If you are going to be inactive in free agency, which is questionable when your first pick isn't until 58, then an immediate impact would have been nice and we didn't come close to that.