Little things that irritate me about the NFL

dirt

Reaction score
its a bye week and I cant stand the teams on Monday night so out of boredom thought I would throw out some things that are starting to bug me about the NFL--not the obvious like I think I am beginning to hate almost all the media associated with not only the Cowboys but the league, but the little things like:

1. the red challenge flag. Notice how some coaches give it a good heave; some hold onto it like it is made of fly paper and they cant get it out of their pocket; some kind of just drop it like they are embarrased.

I think that it should be required to be heaved out onto field of play almost to the hash marks. Youre going to challenge a call - act like it, not like you are listening to 10 voices in your head and cant make a decision

2. some helmet logos. I am starting to really question the Titans logo? The shield part is fine, but who thought it was a good idea to add the flames. Does that make the players look faster? Maybe the Steelers should add flames to their logo too?
The Lions logo--being the local team, I have to say their throwback uni's look great but that lion on the side of the regular helmets!!!? From a distance it just looks like a blob or a map of some Polynesian island. Fits with them being the worst franchise in history.

3.Players wearing 3 carat diamond studs during a game. Hey, they make the money and they can do what they want, but dont you just cringe when they pull off their helmets? I just expect once that the stud will snag and fly off. Next thing you know the whole offense will be down on their knees looking in the grass trying to help the guy who lost it

4.Crappy grass fields. I mean it is the NFL. They got enough money. Keep extra rolls of sod around to keep the field between the 20's in top notch shape.

5.Coaches headsets. They look uncomfortable to begin with, but some guys must go through a dozen a year. They yank on them, they twist them, they pull them off to hear something then pull them back on. Maybe something like a bluetooth or that size would suffice. Though I did love back in the day when the headsets where connected by wire and they had some lucky kid in charge of following the coach and keeping the wire free. What a great job that must have been

6.Tony Kornheiser-no wait that guy really irritates me. I find myself screaming "shut up" at the tv when he talks

7. Bellichik and his hoodie and now Sparano and what ever he was wearing yesterday. It looked like a sheet with a couple holes in it. I kind of liked it when some coaches were wearing suits on the sidelines--it was classy. Bellicik looks like he found that thing at the bottom of the Charlie Weiss' laundry--size XXXXXXXXXL

Got any more minor irritants?

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
If you think the NFL irritates you, try the NBA. I was a huge fan and now they've been forgotten.

Eddie

Reaction score
Coaches who chest bump players.

Imagine Tom Landry chest bumping his players??? Unheard of.

superpunk

Reaction score
I don't remember who did the play by play for the Kansas City-San Diego game, but the guy is insane. Literally every play he acted like the most amazing thing had just happened. If the ball traveled more than 10 yards in the air his voice would build up to a crescendo and then positively explode if it was actually caught.

Calm the hell down, dude.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
The only thing that bothers me about the NFL is how it attracts certain types of people to it who run around, making wild claims, and trying to pretend that they're NFL insiders and they're so wildly off the majority of the time that it ruins the whole experience of the NFL. That's the one truly bothersome thing about the NFL.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Slammin Bran 23;2412583 said:
I dislike NFL's overtime. I like colleges.

I dislike NFL's play review system. I like colleges.

I hate the college OT just kick it off and play defense.

dadymat

I'm kind of a Big Deal
Reaction score
nyc;2412500 said:
If you think the NFL irritates you, try the NBA. I was a huge fan and now they've been forgotten.

+1...............

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
Yeagermeister;2412597 said:
I hate the college OT just kick it off and play defense.

Agreed, it takes the whole point of the game away. It'd be like the NBA shooting free throws as their overtime.

A well played game can easily turn from a 21-21 game to 40+ each. It might be fun to watch but it kills the game. The whole point is to capitalize on field position, turnovers etc. Instead they simply put the ball in FG range and have at it.

:( that and the BCS never working are the two worst parts about college,

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Muhast;2412631 said:
Agreed, it takes the whole point of the game away. It'd be like the NBA shooting free throws as their overtime.

A well played game can easily turn from a 21-21 game to 40+ each. It might be fun to watch but it kills the game. The whole point is to capitalize on field position, turnovers etc. Instead they simply put the ball in FG range and have at it.

:( that and the BCS never working are the two worst parts about college,

No kidding.....just kick it off and if your defense can't stop the other team then you didn't deserve to win.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Slammin Bran 23;2412583 said:
I dislike NFL's overtime. I like colleges.

I hate college overtime. I prefer the NFL version even though I don't like it's the best way to do it either. Of course playing a 5th quarter isn't exactly the best thing either.

MrMom

Reaction score
superpunk;2412563 said:
I don't remember who did the play by play for the Kansas City-San Diego game, but the guy is insane. Literally every play he acted like the most amazing thing had just happened. If the ball traveled more than 10 yards in the air his voice would build up to a crescendo and then positively explode if it was actually caught.

Calm the hell down, dude.

:laugh2:

FTMFW

And Sunday night wasn't an aberration. He does this with every game I've heard him call. CBS also used him for their EliteXC MMA promotion. The night Kimbo lost, it was as if Goliath was just slain.

gjohnson.jpg