Live in a small town that you love?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hi Reality

Can you provide a little more detail about yourself?

Do you have any kids to care about school system?

Do you care if you have quick access to a big city for potential medical needs?

Do you care about state income tax rules etc?

Also, there are a lot of people like you that don't depend on a particular location for making money and there are lists on the web that you can use.

I covered every important point in my original post. If I didn't list it, it doesn't matter.

As for lists, I've been researching this for a while now. I've looked at dozens of lists on the net, watched a lot of videos, read tons of reviews, etc., but none of that helps because again, as I stated in my original post, most of those cities/towns are simply suburbs of large cities which is not what I am looking for.

The reason I posted here is not because I am too lazy to do my own research, but rather I would prefer to hear opinions from users here who are happy living in a small town that is not just a suburb of a large city.

Shunpike

Reaction score
I covered every important point in my original post. If I didn't list it, it doesn't matter.

As for lists, I've been researching this for a while now. I've looked at dozens of lists on the net, watched a lot of videos, read tons of reviews, etc., but none of that helps because again, as I stated in my original post, most of those cities/towns are simply suburbs of large cities which is not what I am looking for.

The reason I posted here is not because I am too lazy to do my own research, but rather I would prefer to hear opinions from users here who are happy living in a small town that is not just a suburb of a large city.

Got it. Thanks for clarification. I didn't think you were lazy. :)

I am married with 2 kids. Live in Florham, NJ. My house is literally 5 minutes drive from New York Jets training facility. Town population is 12,000. It takes an hour to go to New York City by train. Good school system. What I love about my town is you can enjoy small town perks while being close to big cities like New York and Philadelphia(90 minutes drive). I love the peace and quiet but I also know I can be right in the middle of action in 1 hour if I want. One day I am having a BBQ with friends in my backyard and I am watching a Broadway show the next night. Florham Park gives me the benefits of the both worlds. It also has low crime rate.

As for my kids, they love it. They have plenty of play dates with friends along with sleepovers even though they are still in elementary school. There are many Ski resorts close by in winter and Jersey Shore is right there during the summer. They enjoy their childhood to the fullest.

We also like to travel a lot so being close to 2 major Airport Hubs is nice. JFK and EWR (Newark Airport) have direct flights to every major European city and it helps. This summer, we are going to Rome and next year, we will visit England and France. We are also going to Texas in December to watch the Cowboys.(My son is a Cowboys fan)

As for Internet Speed, we have many cable and satellite options. Verizon is offering 300 MB upload and download speeds in my town.

You say you don't mind weather but I still want to mention one thing. I love having all seasons. In winter I miss summer and in summer I miss winter.

Shunpike

Reaction score
Also my town is surrounded by better towns. Chatham,NJ and Madison,NJ are even better than Florham Park.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It looks like so far that a lot of people who happily live in small towns live in the northeast. I would like to hear from any users who live in small towns in the mid-west, north and north west if there are any of you :)

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
I've lived in small towns off and on over the years. We've found that the most important thing is knowing what you would miss if you relocated to a smaller town. There were times where my wife hated when we lived too far away from a larger population due to easy access to shopping and culture. It suited me just fine, but she was miserable.

We compromised by moving just outside of Charlotte. Still a little too close to the city for me, but I can get away into the Mountains easy enough and she has everything she wants close by.

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Move down to one of the Florida Keys.

I can visit and we can go fishing, snorkeling, scuba, kayaking in the mangroves...heck I might even hold your hand on occasion when you need some balance....maybe.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Dripping Springs, TX...

15 minutes from downtown Austin (with no traffic) but you would never know it's that close. Some of the highest rated schools in the state and is known as the "Gateway to the Hill Country"...

Austin slogan is "Keep Austin Weird". Drip is known for two: "Keep Drippin' Country" and "Keep Austin, Weirdo"...

Very nice place to live. Slow-Paced yet convenient...

Iadcfan

Reaction score
I live in a small town in Iowa with a population of about 7,000. The people are really friendly and living costs are pretty cheap, but there isn't really much to do other than outdoor activities. I lived in Phoenix for a while, but I found myself missing the slow pace of life in a small town so I moved back.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
I live in a small town. Bought a place in the boonies with a lot of land. Potomac river, Patuxent river and Chesapeake bay surround me.

DC is an hour and a half drive away. Same with Baltimore.

We love being away from the hustle and bustle of big city life.

My daughter now has a rabbit. I'm getting ready to get some chickens. Thinking of getting a cow to pasture in my neighbors fields that we can use for meat.

Just got myself a 39" striped bass the other day during trophy season.

I'm an island boy loving the rural lifestyle.

I wouldn't mind something like that in 5-10 years. Nice change from the current daily grind.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
It looks like so far that a lot of people who happily live in small towns live in the northeast. I would like to hear from any users who live in small towns in the mid-west, north and north west if there are any of you :)

I live in Seattle but I have some friends I visit who live a few hours east near the Cascade mountains. Biggest city around there is Wenatchee, which is only about 30k. My friends live on top of a hill that's a 15 minute winding drive from the bottom to get to. It's really nice and peaceful. And some of the fastest and cheapest internet in the country because of a nearby dam. All the big companies have their server farms out there in the middle of nowhere.

Passepartout

Reaction score
I live in a small town in East TN. Very friendly most of the time. As really am always a small town person. Since 1984 as a nine-year old. Just never got into big cities. Nice places to visit in the big city like NY City twice. But would not want to live there. No offense to the people that live in big cities.

kapolani

Reaction score
I wouldn't mind something like that in 5-10 years. Nice change from the current daily grind.

Let me tell you...

Getting ready to put our vegetables in the raised gardens today. Tomatoes, cucumbers, green peppers, jalapenos, and ghost peppers. Last year I had cucumbers coming out of my ears. It was great!

My buddy is coming of next weekend to help me start my daughter's treehouse in our woods. Going to put a zipline that connects another clearing to get through the woods.

It's going to be awesome! lol.

kapolani

Reaction score
I live in Seattle but I have some friends I visit who live a few hours east near the Cascade mountains. Biggest city around there is Wenatchee, which is only about 30k. My friends live on top of a hill that's a 15 minute winding drive from the bottom to get to. It's really nice and peaceful. And some of the fastest and cheapest internet in the country because of a nearby dam. All the big companies have their server farms out there in the middle of nowhere.

My Dad has been living in WA for the last 25+ years. Lynnwood. I also went to WWU up in Bellingham so I'm very familiar with the area.

If my wife didn't hate the wet so much I would have moved back there. Get a cabin up in the mountains to retreat to. Get a nice bit of land someplace in Lynnwood.

dreghorn2

Original Zoner (he's a good boy!)
Reaction score
If you are a huge sports fan i would highly recommend the west coast.

There is nothing better than 10am start times for NFL football, 4pm starts for east coast NBA, NHL, MLB games etc..

News wise the world has pretty much shut down by 700pm PST so you go to bed earlier, get up earlier, enjoy your days more and generally live a healthier lifestyle.

I'm from the east coast and as much as i love my original home town i don't envision ever leaving the western time zone.

rynochop

Reaction score
Dripping Springs, TX...

15 minutes from downtown Austin (with no traffic) but you would never know it's that close. Some of the highest rated schools in the state and is known as the "Gateway to the Hill Country"...

Austin slogan is "Keep Austin Weird". Drip is known for two: "Keep Drippin' Country" and "Keep Austin, Weirdo"...

Very nice place to live. Slow-Paced yet convenient...

My grandmother lived inGeorgetown in the 70s and 80s always thought that would be a cool town to live in. Haven't been there in probably 30 years so no idea what it looks like today

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Live in the Mountain West. Not bad. Tell ya more about it but there's already too many people moving here from California as it is.

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
Raised in a small town and differed to the big city life, but still choose to work in the country.

Convenience of a bigger populated city is in reach of anything from a shopping mall to a good meal, most times smaller towns have lesser schools and Hospitals as well. Small towns suck if you don't fit in with sometimes unusual perceived social norms, big cities are great because it's like the "big easy" comparatively speaking - to each his own.

Small towns are terrific for children especially pre-teens/teenagers though the education/school quality tend to suffer sufficiently. Retiring is better in the city (IMhumbleO access to anything in need as we age is certainly very optimal) though many would rather keep it simple in a less crowded environment. Lastly some small towns can have a complicated downside for the mature adult because of nosy/intrusive people with nothing better to do except think they matter beyond their difference, where as in the city they tend to mind their own business.

GOOD LUCK!

It's a Yin and Yang type of Thang.

091608_headphones_2.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.