Looking at the last 5 drafts

nobody

Reaction score
Looks like every other year is a good draft. Good thing we're due for one in 2020!!! In all seriousness outside of Taco pretty good hit rate in the 1st round. 2016 was still outstanding to get that many contributors. Still like most guys in 2018.

That's an interesting notion. I think I may have an idea as to why....but I'm not entirely sure. My wife has been teaching for about 23 years or so and over the years we've noticed a pattern. It's interesting because it's held true every single school year so far. She teaches 9th grade English and averages about 120 students a year. For the sake of explanation, we'll say even years and odd years. On even years, the students are teachable, well-mannered (for 14-15 year olds), listen to authority, and generally are decent students. On odd years, the students are disruptive, contemptuous of authority, refuse to listen, and malcontents. Now, there are a few malcontents in the even years, and a few good ones in odd years, but as a "class" this has held true. This year, the 2019-2020 school year, it's the odd group. Last year was the even group.

Now project that forward into college with these players. It would explain why every other year seems to have a good draft and every other year seems to be a bad one.

coult44

Reaction score
I don't think this paints the picture you thought it would.

2016 and 2018 were very strong drafts, while 2015 and 2017 weren't. 2019 too early to tell.

I did find "I wanted to keep going but you get the point" pretty funny.
2014 draft- Martin, Lawrence, Hitchens

You’ve been blinded or you’re delusional. This is Exactly what I was saying. Dak and Zeke are all you can see. If This is “very strong” There’s no reason to try to reason with you.

Like I originally said, Gallup could probably end up being an above average #2 WR. But we seen some similar years from T.Will. Who else is above average???

Very strong? C’mon man. It’s the pure definition of mediocrity. I’m as big of LVE fan as there is. But, take last year, and then this year, that equals average. Now he has what some are questioning as career threatening neck issues. Nope!!! Maybe I did forget about White and Scarborough, oh and the HOF tight end Mr. RICO GatherS.

With Very Strong drafts like this I can’t believe we haven’t won multiple super bowls.

LovinItAll

Reaction score
Jaylon should honestly feel bad for the money he took from Jerry. He might be one of the worst starters on the team. Who else on this list should we discuss?

Ok, let’s talk about it.

Let's.

Smith is top 10 in tackles in the NFL.

Try again. You're bound to post something that makes sense sooner or later. Give enough monkeys typewriters and eventually one will type a Shakespeare play.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
Ummm, who really cares who we drafted to be honest? If you don't have the coaching staff to develop these guys, you can't really know who was naughty or nice. Put guys we didn't take that we were screaming for on this team, and I'd hazzard a guess they wouldn't be what they are elsewhere...

Verdict

Reaction score
The tight end draft selections have been wastes. It’s hard to say they couldn’t play when the team was deferring yo Witten letting him play every down. Pathetic. Worst waste we have had here in the last 5 years.

WarDaddy

kidcrook
Reaction score
I think I counted 12 or 13 starters, but we also picked up La'el for free along the way.

Agreed. I’m not understanding the complaint. We picked up a ton of contributors considering what most teams do with draft picks. Even a few of the picks that aren’t playing with the Cowboys are playing elsewhere.

That’s the definition of good drafting.

NeathBlue

Reaction score
I think we’ve drafted pretty well over the last few years... though I think this years draft is looking poor.
Yes it’s a bit early to tell, but it’s not looking good at the moment... I’m not figuring Cooper in this as it’s a trade, just the players drafted.
So one disappointing draft after 5 or 6 good ones, is a good return.... even in the Landry era, we had some poor draft years, it happens.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Picking Taco over Watt was a disaster. Taking Chaz Green with a 3rd rd pick was a disaster. That whole 2015 draft class was junk. And yes, that includes highly overrated Byron Jones. He does nothing well. Using a 2nd rd pick on Gregory. Using a 2nd rd pick on Escobar and never even giving him a legit chance to develop. Picking T.Hill instead of the really good safeties on the board.

Also, LVE and Jaylon are going to be proven to be busts. Give it time.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Agreed. I’m not understanding the complaint. We picked up a ton of contributors considering what most teams do with draft picks. Even a few of the picks that aren’t playing with the Cowboys are playing elsewhere.

That’s the definition of good drafting.

You get zero credit for drafting a player and he has success elsewhere other than your own team. We drafted him to play for us, not someone else.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
There's always the ability to look back and re-draft players who turned out to be great players.

I hate the picks that I (and many others here) wanted at the time of the pick.

2017 Taco over Watt is extremely painful. Same year, Awuzie over my guy JuJu (who we supposedly liked) also hurts.

In 2015, I was screaming for Stefon Diggs and we took Chaz Green and Damien Wilson before the Vikings drafted him.

This year, many here wanted Juan Thornhill over Trysten Hill, and by the way...

I think we've improved in drafting, we were one of the worst franchises for several years, but this idea that we are the best or as some here have suggested, out-drafting everyone else, is just silly.

Everyone misses in the draft, especially the fans, but my biggest issues with this team and drafting is the inconsistent and outdated philosophies, as well as the lack of accountability our owner/GM situation creates.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
You’ve been blinded or you’re delusional. This is Exactly what I was saying. Dak and Zeke are all you can see. If This is “very strong” There’s no reason to try to reason with you.

Like I originally said, Gallup could probably end up being an above average #2 WR. But we seen some similar years from T.Will. Who else is above average???

Very strong? C’mon man. It’s the pure definition of mediocrity. I’m as big of LVE fan as there is. But, take last year, and then this year, that equals average. Now he has what some are questioning as career threatening neck issues. Nope!!! Maybe I did forget about White and Scarborough, oh and the HOF tight end Mr. RICO GatherS.

With Very Strong drafts like this I can’t believe we haven’t won multiple super bowls.

Yeah, you're the delusional one buddy. That' why everyone is calling you out for being wrong.

2016 also produced Jaylon Collins and Brown. That's 5 starters in one draft lmao. Really bad take. Stick to your day job.

Ahhh yes the old "this thing can't be good because it hasn't resulted in multiple SBs even if some of them havent even been in the league multiple years" attempt. Just keep digging yourself deeper lol.

Last edited:

Swanny

Reaction score
I know everyone has been brainwashed to believe that the Cowboys brass has drafted great over the past 5 years but let’s list the guys they’ve drafted and then have an honest discussion.

2019- Hill, McGovern, Pollard, J.Jackson, M.Jackson, D.Wilson, Webber, Jelks.

2018- LVE, Williams, Gallup, Armstrong, Shultz, White, Covington, C. Wilson, Scarborough.

2017- Taco, Cheeto, Lewis, Woods, M.White, Ivie, Brown, Carrell.

2016- Elliot, J.Smith, M.Collins, Tapper, Dak, A.Brown, Frazier, D.Jackson, Rico.

2015- B.Jones, Gregory, C.Green, D. Wilson, Russell, Nzeocha, Gibson, Swaim.

I wanted to keep going, but you get the point I hope. It is a myth that Steven and Willy have changed the way the Cowboys draft. Ok, they might have changed it, but not for a good difference. How many above average starters? OK, Dak and Zeke. Other than that. Who? Gallup looks like he Could be capable. Collins is average at best. Gregory could’ve been in the discussion, but hmm. Pollard will never get the opportunity to be number one in a Dallas, barring a bad injury or a suspension. LVE has been rumored to have career threatening neck issues. Jaylon should honestly feel bad for the money he took from Jerry. He might be one of the worst starters on the team. Who else on this list should we discuss?

Ok, let’s talk about it.
I actually think looking that over that they were successful

coult44

Reaction score
Yeah, you're the delusional one buddy. That' why everyone is calling you out for being wrong.

2016 also produced Jaylon Collins and Brown. That's 5 starters in one draft lmao. Really bad take. Stick to your day job.

Ahhh yes the old "this thing can't be good because it hasn't resulted in multiple SBs even if some of them havent even been in the league multiple years" attempt. Just keep digging yourself deeper lol.

If we want to look at threads and see who gets called out let me know. Your rep around here is pretty dog gone funny.

Bottom line is In the two drafts you called “great”, we got Dak, Zeke, and Gallup, as above average players. Don’t be lazy, look at the OP, above average is the key thing for you to try and comprehend. I gave you those three before we started.

Collins is playing very slightly above average this year because it’s a contract year. He is very average to below for his career.

Jaylon is as big of fraud as we’ve ever had. Jerry has used his genius to sell us the story of Jaylon Smith. And yes, it could be a great story if he could play. But he can’t . I like JS, he should quit and go into business. He’s the second worst starter on the team.

LVE’s career might be over before year three. I hope not because this house has three 55 jerseys that I want to keep seeing. But, if he plays again, it better be better than this year. Because If not, he’s not good either. The video is proof that both him and Clear eyes, have been POOR this year.

Brown had one good year, then as usual, everyone anoints him as the next great thing. Wait though,,,,All of a sudden he’s another bad starter.

I love people who say stuff like “and if you say this or that” and then argue their point as if anyone except themself would be dumb enough to think about the made up stuff you just said. Why would I talk about young guys on this team going to a super bowl. This team could have 40-45 year olds who wouldn’t have seen a championship. Remember 25 years of losing is where we are right now.

Here’s the thing bruh, you go on and keep thinking this team does anything good in the FO. Nobody in the football world believes that, except for happy go lucky fans who are ok with mediocrity. The problem I have with that, is that most of you are the ones not forking out anything except opinions on message boards.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
I know everyone has been brainwashed to believe that the Cowboys brass has drafted great over the past 5 years but let’s list the guys they’ve drafted and then have an honest discussion.

2019- Hill, McGovern, Pollard, J.Jackson, M.Jackson, D.Wilson, Webber, Jelks.

2018- LVE, Williams, Gallup, Armstrong, Shultz, White, Covington, C. Wilson, Scarborough.

2017- Taco, Cheeto, Lewis, Woods, M.White, Ivie, Brown, Carrell.

2016- Elliot, J.Smith, M.Collins, Tapper, Dak, A.Brown, Frazier, D.Jackson, Rico.

2015- B.Jones, Gregory, C.Green, D. Wilson, Russell, Nzeocha, Gibson, Swaim.

I wanted to keep going, but you get the point I hope. It is a myth that Steven and Willy have changed the way the Cowboys draft. Ok, they might have changed it, but not for a good difference. How many above average starters? OK, Dak and Zeke. Other than that. Who? Gallup looks like he Could be capable. Collins is average at best. Gregory could’ve been in the discussion, but hmm. Pollard will never get the opportunity to be number one in a Dallas, barring a bad injury or a suspension. LVE has been rumored to have career threatening neck issues. Jaylon should honestly feel bad for the money he took from Jerry. He might be one of the worst starters on the team. Who else on this list should we discuss?

Ok, let’s talk about it.

the taco pick hurts.

to be fair, NFL careers are short.

if we hit on 50 percent of our top 3 picks, we are doing good.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
If we want to look at threads and see who gets called out let me know. Your rep around here is pretty dog gone funny.

Bottom line is In the two drafts you called “great”, we got Dak, Zeke, and Gallup, as above average players. Don’t be lazy, look at the OP, above average is the key thing for you to try and comprehend. I gave you those three before we started.

Collins is playing very slightly above average this year because it’s a contract year. He is very average to below for his career.

Jaylon is as big of fraud as we’ve ever had. Jerry has used his genius to sell us the story of Jaylon Smith. And yes, it could be a great story if he could play. But he can’t . I like JS, he should quit and go into business. He’s the second worst starter on the team.

LVE’s career might be over before year three. I hope not because this house has three 55 jerseys that I want to keep seeing. But, if he plays again, it better be better than this year. Because If not, he’s not good either. The video is proof that both him and Clear eyes, have been POOR this year.

Brown had one good year, then as usual, everyone anoints him as the next great thing. Wait though,,,,All of a sudden he’s another bad starter.

I love people who say stuff like “and if you say this or that” and then argue their point as if anyone except themself would be dumb enough to think about the made up stuff you just said. Why would I talk about young guys on this team going to a super bowl. This team could have 40-45 year olds who wouldn’t have seen a championship. Remember 25 years of losing is where we are right now.

Here’s the thing bruh, you go on and keep thinking this team does anything good in the FO. Nobody in the football world believes that, except for happy go lucky fans who are ok with mediocrity. The problem I have with that, is that most of you are the ones not forking out anything except opinions on message boards.

Lol, so so stupid.

coult44

Reaction score
Lol, so so stupid.
Lol, so so stupid.

This thread officially shows how ridiculous guys are who think they know anything about football. I’m done with you clowns and finished playing nice with this type of ignorance.

Jaylon Smith is the worst starting Linebacker in football . He looks so bad he makes his feel good comeback story Insignificant anymore. Apparently The team has covered up his recovery, because there is no way his his foot isn’t still DROPPED. It’s time for him to quit, because his play is so bad he looks like a wounded animal .

BTW, Dak and Zeke aren’t even looking like great picks anymore. When Mitch Trubisky looks better than you, how really good are you. Definitely not “special”

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
This thread officially shows how ridiculous guys are who think they know anything about football. I’m done with you clowns and finished playing nice with this type of ignorance.

Jaylon Smith is the worst starting Linebacker in football . He looks so bad he makes his feel good comeback story Insignificant anymore. Apparently The team has covered up his recovery, because there is no way his his foot isn’t still DROPPED. It’s time for him to quit, because his play is so bad he looks like a wounded animal .

BTW, Dak and Zeke aren’t even looking like great picks anymore. When Mitch Trubisky looks better than you, how really good are you. Definitely not “special”

"Dak not even looking like a great pick anymore" yeah a top 10 QB in the 4th round is now a bad pick.

You're literally too stupid to insult. Make me a balloon, clown.

coult44

Reaction score
"Dak not even looking like a great pick anymore" yeah a top 10 QB in the 4th round is now a bad pick.

You're literally too stupid to insult. Make me a balloon, clown.

I’ll give you some balloons all right. Haven’t you always claimed to be a “stat guy” .. I mean you take the stats you like and and throw away the ones you don’t like to fit your narrative or daily agenda...You can’t run from these numbers. Since 2017, Dak is 5-14 against teams with a winning record. In those same games he has 27 turnovers. I’m a Dak fan. But he’s lucky he’s a 4th round pick. It takes a lot of pressure off of him. I mean I guess . You’d think he’d perform better against winning teams but whatever.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
We'll probably never know how bad we draft because our coaching staff struggles to develop players and put them in the best position possible.

Romo used to make players look better on offense. There really wasn't any sort of magic on defense, at least not long term.