Looking Back At Phillips' 2010 & Garrett's 2015 Seasons

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why will Jones fire Garrett if the team wins a few games here and there, ends with a losing record but does not suffer through any extended drought(s) down the stretch?

BCrP21p.png

Vanilla2

Reaction score
The team obviously quit in 2010.

2015 I don’t remember that being the deal maybe they did but I was pretty checked out most of the 2nd half of that year.

I believe your watching Garrett’s final games as HC of the Cowboys

Unless a miracle happens.

And who doesn’t want that for the Cowboys.

Just imagine looking back on a miracle cowboy season.

LoL

JohnsKey19

Reaction score

2015 I don’t remember that being the deal maybe they did but I was pretty checked out most of the 2nd half of that year.

LoL

The entire organization and roster knew Garrett was the "HC in waiting" in 2010, so the team obviously would quit on Wade when any adversity hit. Organizational dysfunction at its finest.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

LoL
The 2018 team must quit on Garrett also for anything to happen in my opinion.

Kaiser

Reaction score
The 2018 team must quit on Garrett also for anything to happen in my opinion.

Agree, but I think Linehan at a minimum gets canned from the offensive staff.

The analogy isn't a good one IMO, 2010 was a team that quit and that was directly on Wade. 2015 was about your franchise QB going down, which kills any NFL team. To compound it Weeden and Cassell played much worse than anyone would have expected.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They might quit tomorrow night. Hope not but... The Eagles are pretty stellar coming out of the bye week.
My evaluation here-on-out will be primarily on the team's focus. That has been Garrett's only true non debatable coaching strength. If that evaporates, he is done.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Agree, but I think Linehan at a minimum gets canned from the offensive staff.

The analogy isn't a good one IMO, 2010 was a team that quit and that was directly on Wade. 2015 was about your franchise QB going down, which kills any NFL team. To compound it Weeden and Cassell played much worse than anyone would have expected.
I see your opinion, as I do others' so far in the thread, but I always attempt to see things through Jones' eyes. If I were a betting man, I would wager that the analogy holds very true in Jones' mind.

Kaiser

Reaction score
My evaluation here-on-out will be primarily on the team's focus. That has been Garrett's only true non debatable coaching strength. If that evaporates, he is done.

Agree, but for as painful as this season has been, its an accumulation of problems instead of a complete meltdown.

The opening loss to the Panthers was a complete meltdown, that is on Garrett.

The loss to the Seahawks was a rash of turnovers, every team has losses like that over the course of a season.

Houston went to OT when we were road underdogs.

Commanders was 4 inches on a FG away from OT.

The Titans game was a complete meltdown by the Defense, which is somewhat on Garrett but not a systemic issue (yet).

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
In several interviews with local radio station 105.3 Jesse Holley and Kevin Ogletree commented on the playbook for the 2010 season. Prior to the firing of Wade Phillips the receivers were running shorter routes and were limited. Once Phillips was fired they had a new set of routes, opening up the offense.

I heard this more than once on the radio by this pair. Their claim was that Garrett inhibited the offense to get Phillips fired so he could move up.

Now consider Romo was the QB at that time.

I don't know if the players were disgruntled. Or if Garrett truly ushered Phillips out by play calling and then opened up the offense.

But consider this. Garrett called the plays before when the team went 1-7, and called the plays when the team went 5-3.

Below is a link to a page which recaps the wins and loses of the 2010 Cowboys. Note that the Cowboys started posting higher scores under the Garrett head coaching than under Phillips.

Phillips was fired Nov 8th, 2010.

Same play caller for both. (I love me some conspiracy theories.) During the Garrett head coaching section of the 2010 season, they scored over 26 points a game in every contest but the last, which they won 14-13 against the Eagles. Even in their loses they were posting over 20 points a game.

http://www.jt-sw.com/football/pro/results.nsf/Teams/2010-dal

By the way, this is a great site for research.

http://www.jt-sw.com/football/pro/teams.nsf

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Why will Jones fire Garrett if the team wins a few games here and there, ends with a losing record but does not suffer through any extended drought(s) down the stretch?

BCrP21p.png

2015 was when Romo got hurt after two games, we had Weeden...oh yeah...that weeden, which then led to them calling Cassel at home on his couch to come be Cowboys QB...the guy couldn't throw past 5 yards....a real GM would have had a real back up QB....wait, aren't we in the same situation again!!!

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Agree, but for as painful as this season has been, its an accumulation of problems instead of a complete meltdown.

The opening loss to the Panthers was a complete meltdown, that is on Garrett.

The loss to the Seahawks was a rash of turnovers, every team has losses like that over the course of a season.

Houston went to OT when we were road underdogs.

Commanders was 4 inches on a FG away from OT.

The Titans game was a complete meltdown by the Defense, which is somewhat on Garrett but not a systemic issue (yet).
An yet, the only coaching sacrificial lamb for any of these has been Paul Alexander. And that particular correctional move was supposedly all because of Garrett.

I believe Jones is in complete wait-and-see mode. He may allow Garrett to retain his job if makes any headway the rest of this season--with consideration of the type of additional 'damaging' losses that will be incurred along the way.

Cmac

Reaction score
Common fact: JG on the scene for both seasons.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
The analogy isn't a good one IMO, 2010 was a team that quit and that was directly on Wade. 2015 was about your franchise QB going down, which kills any NFL team.
True, that didn't happen in 2010, did it?

Carson

Reaction score
They might quit tomorrow night. Hope not but... The Eagles are pretty stellar coming out of the bye week.

Don’t worry. Daks going to be on the ground all night.

A struggling Tyron Smith and Adam Redmond at LG. Play the Benny Hill music all night