1. SPORGWIRE.com
    The best Sports Newswire on the internet!
    SPORGWIRE provides you with an easy way to keep up with the latest sports news,
    rumors, reviews, videos and more from sports sites all over the internet!
    Follow your favorite teams and sports leagues and
    the SPORGWIRE home page becomes your personal sports news site for the internet!
    Dismiss Notice

Looking Back At Phillips' 2010 & Garrett's 2015 Seasons

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by DallasEast, Nov 10, 2018.

1. DallasEast

DallasEast Cowboys 24/7/365 Staff Member

37,308 Messages
    15,291 Likes Received
    Why will Jones fire Garrett if the team wins a few games here and there, ends with a losing record but does not suffer through any extended drought(s) down the stretch?

[​IMG]

2. acr731

acr731 Well-Known Member

1,166 Messages
    2,541 Likes Received
    He won't. Jerry is working on a list of excuses as I type this.

3. Vanilla2

Vanilla2 Well-Known Member

3,336 Messages
    2,838 Likes Received
    The team obviously quit in 2010.

2015 I don’t remember that being the deal maybe they did but I was pretty checked out most of the 2nd half of that year.

I believe your watching Garrett’s final games as HC of the Cowboys

Unless a miracle happens.

And who doesn’t want that for the Cowboys.

Just imagine looking back on a miracle cowboy season.

LoL

Blackthorn likes this.
  4. Bleu Star

Bleu Star Bye Felicia! Zone Supporter

31,836 Messages
    15,838 Likes Received
    Depressing and sobering comparison bro.

DallasEast likes this.
  5. JohnsKey19

JohnsKey19 Well-Known Member

11,927 Messages
    6,136 Likes Received
    The entire organization and roster knew Garrett was the "HC in waiting" in 2010, so the team obviously would quit on Wade when any adversity hit. Organizational dysfunction at its finest.

Sasquatch likes this.
  6. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

52,296 Messages
    48,537 Likes Received
    The primary difference is that there is not a smiling backstabber on this staff like Phillips had on his.

7. DallasEast

37,308 Messages
    15,291 Likes Received
    So the puppet outwitted his puppetmaster?

Portnoy1 and Bleu Star like this.
  8. DallasEast

37,308 Messages
    15,291 Likes Received
    The 2018 team must quit on Garrett also for anything to happen in my opinion.

AmericanCowboy, Kaiser and Bleu Star like this.
  9. Bleu Star

Bleu Star Bye Felicia! Zone Supporter

31,836 Messages
    15,838 Likes Received
    They might quit tomorrow night. Hope not but... The Eagles are pretty stellar coming out of the bye week.

10. Kaiser

Kaiser Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

7,169 Messages
    12,021 Likes Received
    Agree, but I think Linehan at a minimum gets canned from the offensive staff.

The analogy isn't a good one IMO, 2010 was a team that quit and that was directly on Wade. 2015 was about your franchise QB going down, which kills any NFL team. To compound it Weeden and Cassell played much worse than anyone would have expected.

DallasEast likes this.
  11. DallasEast

37,308 Messages
    15,291 Likes Received
    My evaluation here-on-out will be primarily on the team's focus. That has been Garrett's only true non debatable coaching strength. If that evaporates, he is done.

Kaiser and Bleu Star like this.
  12. DallasEast

37,308 Messages
    15,291 Likes Received
    I see your opinion, as I do others' so far in the thread, but I always attempt to see things through Jones' eyes. If I were a betting man, I would wager that the analogy holds very true in Jones' mind.

Kaiser likes this.
  13. Kaiser

7,169 Messages
    12,021 Likes Received
    Agree, but for as painful as this season has been, its an accumulation of problems instead of a complete meltdown.

The opening loss to the Panthers was a complete meltdown, that is on Garrett.

The loss to the Seahawks was a rash of turnovers, every team has losses like that over the course of a season.

Houston went to OT when we were road underdogs.

Redskins was 4 inches on a FG away from OT.

The Titans game was a complete meltdown by the Defense, which is somewhat on Garrett but not a systemic issue (yet).

DallasEast likes this.
  14. TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

9,985 Messages
    7,975 Likes Received
    In several interviews with local radio station 105.3 Jesse Holley and Kevin Ogletree commented on the playbook for the 2010 season. Prior to the firing of Wade Phillips the receivers were running shorter routes and were limited. Once Phillips was fired they had a new set of routes, opening up the offense.

I heard this more than once on the radio by this pair. Their claim was that Garrett inhibited the offense to get Phillips fired so he could move up.

Now consider Romo was the QB at that time.

I don't know if the players were disgruntled. Or if Garrett truly ushered Phillips out by play calling and then opened up the offense.

But consider this. Garrett called the plays before when the team went 1-7, and called the plays when the team went 5-3.

Below is a link to a page which recaps the wins and loses of the 2010 Cowboys. Note that the Cowboys started posting higher scores under the Garrett head coaching than under Phillips.

Phillips was fired Nov 8th, 2010.

Same play caller for both. (I love me some conspiracy theories.) During the Garrett head coaching section of the 2010 season, they scored over 26 points a game in every contest but the last, which they won 14-13 against the Eagles. Even in their loses they were posting over 20 points a game.

http://www.jt-sw.com/football/pro/results.nsf/Teams/2010-dal

By the way, this is a great site for research.

http://www.jt-sw.com/football/pro/teams.nsf

visionary, John813 and lothos05 like this.
  15. CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninHouston CowboysFaninDC

6,421 Messages
    1,892 Likes Received

2015 was when Romo got hurt after two games, we had Weeden...oh yeah...that weeden, which then led to them calling Cassel at home on his couch to come be Cowboys QB...the guy couldn't throw past 5 yards....a real GM would have had a real back up QB....wait, aren't we in the same situation again!!!

16. DallasEast

37,308 Messages
    15,291 Likes Received
    An yet, the only coaching sacrificial lamb for any of these has been Paul Alexander. And that particular correctional move was supposedly all because of Garrett.

I believe Jones is in complete wait-and-see mode. He may allow Garrett to retain his job if makes any headway the rest of this season--with consideration of the type of additional 'damaging' losses that will be incurred along the way.

17. Cmac

Cmac Well-Known Member

2,698 Messages
    2,030 Likes Received
    Common fact: JG on the scene for both seasons.

18. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

34,315 Messages
    4,020 Likes Received
    True, that didn't happen in 2010, did it?

19. Kaiser

7,169 Messages
    12,021 Likes Received
    I didn't go through the game logs but the regular stats show Romo with a 1-5 record that year, Jon Kitna at 4-5 and Stephen McGee 1-0.

20. SeanLee50

SeanLee50 Well-Known Member

8,262 Messages
    12,495 Likes Received
    Don’t worry. Daks going to be on the ground all night.

A struggling Tyron Smith and Adam Redmond at LG. Play the Benny Hill music all night