1. Read the latest Dallas Cowboys news ..

Looking back: Was it a mistake not to go back to Romo

Discussion in 'Overtime Zone' started by J12B, Jun 16, 2020.

1. J12B

J12B Well-Known Member

2,857 Messages
    8,065 Likes Received
    I wonder how things would have played out in 2016 if Romo got his job back once he became healthy.

Perhaps he could have taken the team all the way to the Superbowl like he almost did in 2014.

Perhaps Romo could have played one more season and Dak would only have 2018 and 2019 as being a starter for this team. His value would most likely be worth less because 2017 was a down year for Dak.

Perhaps he could've got re-injured and Dak would've stepped back in only further proving Romo's durability issues.

But to this day I still think Garrett and Jones did Romo dirty by not giving him his starting job back.

Jason Garrett.....*shivers*

2. Corso

Corso Offseason mode... sleepy time

25,193 Messages
    43,471 Likes Received
    I guess there's absolutely nothing else to talk about, but Romo.
    Lawd...

Okay, I'll play.

Maybe.

3. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

58,315 Messages
    103,108 Likes Received
    Yes. We would have won several Super Bowls.

egn22, links18, joshjwp and 19 others like this.
  4. Corso

25,193 Messages
    43,471 Likes Received
    Wait... he almost got the team to the Superbowl in '14?

50cent, DakPresgoat, Portnoy1 and 7 others like this.
  5. blueblood70

blueblood70 Well-Known Member

10,723 Messages
    7,760 Likes Received
    hindsight is nice but you cant go back and start what ifs and yet still have Dak declining in 18/19..maybe his year sitting would have made him more prepared for pressure as 2016 he had no expectations or pressure, now that some has been applied he hasn't handled those situations as well..IE maybe he thought it was all going to be as easy as 16 and is now a bit shell shocked..

I would have liked to see Romo take the ball back and see what he could do but it was the correct choice at the time..

6. John813

John813 Well-Known Member

14,189 Messages
    18,735 Likes Received
    This beaten horse died years ago

7. GenoT

GenoT Well-Known Member

4,709 Messages
    8,044 Likes Received
    Perhaps a plethora of SBs.

8. J12B

J12B Well-Known Member

2,857 Messages
    8,065 Likes Received
    The Dez catch.

NFC championship game would have been in Seattle. Which Dallas won there early in the season. Would have crushed them too if not for a 7 point block and 2 bone headed turnovers.

Definitely could have beat Seattle to go onto the superbowl.

9. Corso

25,193 Messages
    43,471 Likes Received
    That's not almost getting to the Superbowl.
    That's wishful thinking.
    They didn't make it to the Conference Championship.

Like it, or not, that's not close to the Super Bowl.

10. fivetwos

fivetwos Well-Known Member

3,425 Messages
    3,440 Likes Received
    Wouldnt have mattered.

The whole line up and beat your man approach didnt go so well in advanced rounds of the playoffs...

In fact it mostly only worked against the awful NFC East and teams that were just awful.

Although I DO think that Romo covered Garrett way more than is out there. That's something else.

11. America's Cowboy

America's Cowboy Benched

11,240 Messages
    16,560 Likes Received
  12. America's Cowboy

America's Cowboy Benched

11,240 Messages
    16,560 Likes Received
    If we go by @J12B 's logic, Dak actually got the Cowboys closer to the Super Bowl in 2016 than Romo did in 2014, but he won't understand nor like that.

13. Corso

25,193 Messages
    43,471 Likes Received
    I just don't follow that type of thinking. That's all. No disrespect to him.

14. Tangle_Foot

Tangle_Foot Well-Known Member

4,199 Messages
    16,534 Likes Received
    The Dallas Cowboys hindsight game.
    Have hours of fun with family and friends looking back on the history of the franchise and second-guess every move

Bonus what if cards included

:laugh:

totheleft, dckid, Polkton31 and 5 others like this.
  15. Bobhaze

Bobhaze Well-Known Member

6,281 Messages
    19,481 Likes Received
    Apparently it has been forgotten how physically broken Tony Romo was in 2016. His back was terrible. I’m not sure he could have played even a half without getting hurt again. In his day, TonyRomo was a special player. But by 2016, he was damaged goods. Tony Romo’s time was up in 2016. If had anything left in that tank at the end of 2016, some other team would have signed him in 2017. He was done.

rags, Sevenup3000, Blackrain and 11 others like this.
  16. Flamma

Flamma Well-Known Member

6,695 Messages
    5,824 Likes Received
    I don't know, maybe. What I do know is that it is not commonly done under those situations. Jimmy Johnson didn't give Aikman back his job in 1991 in a similar situation.

Amarillofan82 and fairviewfarmer like this.
  17. Hardline

Hardline Well-Known Member

11,700 Messages
    19,067 Likes Received
    A heathy Tony Romo(which he was) would certainly be more effective than a rookie. It's really not debatable.
    The passing game would've been more respected by defenses and Zeke would've been more effective in the running game.

basel90, zack, InTheZone and 13 others like this.
  18. glimmerman

glimmerman Well-Known Member

18,205 Messages
    18,937 Likes Received
    I have wondered about it. He had his swan song against the egirls with that last drive. That was a cruel move by JG. He made that TD look easy. Got Romo’s hopes up and next thing you know he is making that speech with tears in his eyes.

I still wonder how much of that was JJ’s idea. Was gonna be his decision. Only thing I heard is there was some bitter blood between Romo and JG. He wouldn’t allow Romo to compete for his job because he would have beaten Dak out. He was more in tune with the receivers. But maybe not.

catiii, FiveTime, BBGTYCOON and 3 others like this.
  19. Corso

25,193 Messages
    43,471 Likes Received
    Maybe.

Amarillofan82 likes this.
  20. Bullflop

Bullflop Well-Known Member

16,616 Messages
    20,210 Likes Received
    Switching to Dak when we did was a must. Romo's back was fragile enough by then to pop with one hit. It would've been an easy target. :rolleyes: