Looking back: Was it a mistake not to go back to Romo

J12B

Reaction score
I wonder how things would have played out in 2016 if Romo got his job back once he became healthy.

Perhaps he could have taken the team all the way to the Superbowl like he almost did in 2014.

Perhaps Romo could have played one more season and Dak would only have 2018 and 2019 as being a starter for this team. His value would most likely be worth less because 2017 was a down year for Dak.

Perhaps he could've got re-injured and Dak would've stepped back in only further proving Romo's durability issues.

But to this day I still think Garrett and Jones did Romo dirty by not giving him his starting job back.

Jason Garrett.....*shivers*

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
I wonder how things would have played out in 2016 if Romo got his job back once he became healthy.

Perhaps he could have taken the team all the way to the Superbowl like he almost did in 2014.

Perhaps Romo could have played one more season and Dak would only have 2018 and 2019 as being a starter for this team. His value would most likely be worth less because 2017 was a down year for Dak.

Perhaps he could've got re-injured and Dak would've stepped back in only further proving Romo's durability issues.

But to this day I still think Garrett and Jones did Romo dirty by not giving him his starting job back.

Wait... he almost got the team to the Superbowl in '14?

blueblood70

Reaction score
hindsight is nice but you cant go back and start what ifs and yet still have Dak declining in 18/19..maybe his year sitting would have made him more prepared for pressure as 2016 he had no expectations or pressure, now that some has been applied he hasn't handled those situations as well..IE maybe he thought it was all going to be as easy as 16 and is now a bit shell shocked..

I would have liked to see Romo take the ball back and see what he could do but it was the correct choice at the time..

Corso

Reaction score
The Dez catch.

NFC championship game would have been in Seattle. Which Dallas won there early in the season. Would have crushed them too if not for a 7 point block and 2 bone headed turnovers.

Definitely could have beat Seattle to go onto the superbowl.
That's not almost getting to the Superbowl.
That's wishful thinking.
They didn't make it to the Conference Championship.

Like it, or not, that's not close to the Super Bowl.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Wouldnt have mattered.

The whole line up and beat your man approach didnt go so well in advanced rounds of the playoffs...

In fact it mostly only worked against the awful NFC East and teams that were just awful.

Although I DO think that Romo covered Garrett way more than is out there. That's something else.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Apparently it has been forgotten how physically broken Tony Romo was in 2016. His back was terrible. I’m not sure he could have played even a half without getting hurt again. In his day, TonyRomo was a special player. But by 2016, he was damaged goods. Tony Romo’s time was up in 2016. If had anything left in that tank at the end of 2016, some other team would have signed him in 2017. He was done.

Flamma

Reaction score

I don't know, maybe. What I do know is that it is not commonly done under those situations. Jimmy Johnson didn't give Aikman back his job in 1991 in a similar situation.

Hardline

Reaction score
A heathy Tony Romo(which he was) would certainly be more effective than a rookie. It's really not debatable.
The passing game would've been more respected by defenses and Zeke would've been more effective in the running game.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I have wondered about it. He had his swan song against the egirls with that last drive. That was a cruel move by JG. He made that TD look easy. Got Romo’s hopes up and next thing you know he is making that speech with tears in his eyes.

I still wonder how much of that was JJ’s idea. Was gonna be his decision. Only thing I heard is there was some bitter blood between Romo and JG. He wouldn’t allow Romo to compete for his job because he would have beaten Dak out. He was more in tune with the receivers. But maybe not.

Corso

Reaction score
A heathy Tony Romo(which he was) would certainly be more effective than a rookie. It's really not debatable.
The passing game would've been more respected by defenses and Zeke would've been more effective in the running game.
Maybe.