Looks like we're going to sign DLaw to long-term deal

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
The only question is can they keep him off the free agent market? The problem is Dallas may have every intention of signing with Dallas but if his agents gets him to go the free agent route any other team can corner him and offer him the bank to sign. The Colts have over $120 million in cap space, they can offer DLaw and absurd contract. So can the Jets and a few other teams. The Cowboys have to assess this market carefully and then franchise him if necessary to keep him another year.
LOL you’re forgetting we can franchise him another year.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Do we know that for sure? Haven't seen/heard anything indicating he would hold out.

Just vague reports and "sources", not sure he's been quoted about it himself. But if I were him, or his agent, I'd feel not playing under the tag a second time would be best. Sacrifice 17-18M in 2019 and get a guarantee easily north of $30M the year after.

BigD49

Reaction score
Of the 5 players you need to pay top money to over the next 12 months, he is 5th in importance to your team IMO. So by all means, give him all the monies.
Would love to see this list...he's the best defensive player on our team...

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Just vague reports and "sources", not sure he's been quoted about it himself. But if I were him, or his agent, I'd feel not playing under the tag a second time would be best. Sacrifice 17-18M in 2019 and get a guarantee easily north of $30M the year after.
Outside of Le'Veon Bell, not too many players willing to take that risk.

bodi

Reaction score
He’s good, but not as good as the 20 mill plus needed to tag him again

I would let him walk and use the money to shore up your offensive line and sign other cheaper edge rushers

I wouldn’t trust Lawrence with the money or his bad back. Backs never really heal

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Dude he's one of only three consistent playmakers on our defense and a top five LDE. He's going to get paid like it, especially with Jerry's penchant to open his wallet for his boys.

Does that make him more valuable to the cowboys than Dak? No way. Zeke? Of course not. Amari? I don’t personally believe so. Byron Jones? Now there’s a debate. My point still stands, lock up the 4 more important guys before you make room for him.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Would love to see this list...he's the best defensive player on our team...

1. Zeke
2. Dak
3. Amari
4. Byron ( Demarcus is more talented, but you have depth there. Byron is crucial to sustaining this D). I’ll take Randy gregory as your primary pass rusher any day over gambling with single coverage of Anthony Brown on Deandre Hopkins 40 yards downfield

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
This one is obvious but it scares me. Not sure D Law will be the same player by the 3rd year into the deal.

TheRomoSexual

Reaction score
1. Zeke
2. Dak
3. Amari
4. Byron ( Demarcus is more talented, but you have depth there. Byron is crucial to sustaining this D). I’ll take Randy gregory as your primary pass rusher any day over gambling with single coverage of Anthony Brown on Deandre Hopkins 40 yards downfield

Sorry, no. A franchise pass rusher is far, far more valuable than any DB.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
$17m for Lawrence would be team friendly. He's going to get an average of over $20m.

Olivier Vernon signed for an average of $17m three seasons ago when the cap was $155m. That's 10.9% of the cap.

If Lawrence signs for $20m and the cap is $190m next year, that's 10.5%.

Lawrence is a better player, $20m average is pretty much what he's going to get.

Think his price went down from last year. 17 mil makes him a top paid de. Think with his past it's more than fair.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
1. Zeke
2. Dak
3. Amari
Outside of Byron who we could franchise, the other 3 have options as to when to pay them and how to spread the money. Amari still has the 5th year option, and Dak/Zeke aren't up for new deals yet. I hear your point, but DLaw is more pressing bc it's either pay a ransom on the tag again or get a deal done now. Zeke and Dak should wait another year but know Zeke wants a new deal and JJ wants to pay Dak (not smart in my opinion). We have no leverage with Lawrence compared to the others.

BigD49

Reaction score
Doesn't it make sense to sign Lawrence long-term, even if our desire was to try and trade him after? Even if you don't want DLaw at $20m/year, you could sign him to the deal and auction him off to the teams that are willing to pay that amount of cash.

Are there detrimental cap considerations that I am unaware of that prevent you from taking that path forward?

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Think his price went down from last year. 17 mil makes him a top paid de. Think with his past it's more than fair.
No it didn't.

The comps he's going to point to are Khalil Mack and Von Miller. Mack signed at an average of $23.5 which is 13.2% of the cap. Miller signed at 11.2%.

If Lawrence gets 11% of next year's cap (.1% higher than Vernon), assuming $190m, that's $21.9m/year, but still a lower cap hit than both Mack and Miller. More likely, he's around 10.5%, which is $20m.

Dollars doesn't matter, cap % does. At a $190m cap next year, $20m will be the equivalent of about $17.5m in 2017.

keysersoze

Reaction score
Good.......he deserves it

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...-about-long-term-deal-with-demarcus-lawrence/
Cowboys “more comfortable” about long-term deal with DeMarcus Lawrence

gettyimages-1090296672-e1548243401398.jpg

Cowboys defensive end DeMarcus Lawrence played out the 2018 season on the franchise tag, but didn’t have the same upset about that state of affairs that we’ve seen from other players
:clap:

jay94

Reaction score
He's not in the Donald and Mack category but is a very very good player

As long as we pay him accordingly there is no problem
Also need to find a real 1T DT to allow him to be more effective

That is not how the market work minimum 20 mil a year.

tsumma

Reaction score
The dude disappears for multiple games especially when it really counts no thanks