Lose the trenches, lose the game

kskboys

Reaction score
This post could have been posted since after Parcells left, Jerry has ignored the trenches on the defensives side at least, for years.
Jerry also ignored the O trenches back in 09, letting them completely fall apart and then trying to fix them w/ UFA's and castoffs. It takes him forever to learn pretty much anything.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
You want to draft defense if there was a difference making defensive end or defensive tackle in this draft like Chase Young or Suh. There is not one in this draft so if you get a chance to draft a blue chip offensive tackle you do it. We have 8 more picks to improve the defense.
Exactly, but some people simply can't understand that common sense decision.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
You want to draft defense if there was a difference making defensive end or defensive tackle in this draft like Chase Young or Suh. There is not one in this draft so if you get a chance to draft a blue chip offensive tackle you do it. We have 8 more picks to improve the defense.

I'm not so sure there isn't going to be a monster DT available at the top of this draft. The top teams in the SEC will all have at least two of them. Just take your pick.. Florida has two .. Bama has two.. I would draft any of those 4 guys in the top 10 and be happy about it. Stick them in a rotation with Hill, Woods, and Gallimore and I think we're doing big thangs. Ankou and Hamilton flashed for a minute but they are starting to show why they were practice squad guys.. Put them up against legit NFL o linemen and they get handled. We don't need a DE. Between Lawrence, Gregory and Aldon with a full offseason we have more than enough at that position.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's been true for years and years in this league.

Yes, but some teams heed that and execute a draft that shows they understand the concept..........and some teams are like the Dallas Cowboys who draft a WR in round 1 of the deepest WR draft in a decade.

kskboys

Reaction score
The game Thursday was not about Zeke, or Dalton or Cooper or Lamb or Jaylon or LVE or anybody who doesn't start every play in a 3 point stance. It was about the lines on both sides of the ball. The defense was doing okay for most of the game. Not shutting them down but not getting run over either. But once both tackles were gone and the offense went into the tank it was just a matter of time before the WFT offensive line was going to wear the d-line down and once that happened it was church.

Because the offensive line is not going to get healthy any time in the next three weeks I'm going to go ahead and call all three of them losses. If we can't block we can't run or pass and Dalton can't carry us with his arm and the defense might be able to keep us afloat for a half .. maybe three quarters but our demise is inevitable with the current state of the team. Eventually with the offense doing nothing the defense will tire out and get rolled. It's a sad reality but reality it is. The Vikings game gave us hope.. The Thanksgiving day game gave us reality. This line .. now down to its 14th or 15th different combination isn't good enough to hold up against any decent defensive front.

This is our season folks.. Time to start watching the Draft Show.
You fake fan you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

conner01

Reaction score
Cowboys need to tank the rest of the way, so they can position themselves in the draft to grab Olineman Penei Sewell.
If he’s on the board I take him
But either way we need a starter quality player at enough positions that someone good will be there
To me Sewell is the best player in the draft.

kskboys

Reaction score
This is why you don't spend first round picks on WRs and RBs. They are not primary positions. Zeke and CeeDee Lamb were the wrong picks for THIS team. When TN lost their all-pro tackle for the season, they had a first round rookie to plug in. They didn't fall apart. The logic wasn't " we got that position covered" going into the draft which is what the Dallas Cowboys do. That team understands that your skill position players are only as effective as your OL and injuries happen. Its better to have a great OT prospect as an insurance policy than a flashy WR or RB. Until you have depth along those trenches, you don't spend your premium picks on the flash positions.
Yup.

Hey, I like Cee as a player, but he didn't make our team better. And no one will as long as we are getting owned on the LOS.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Yeah I pretty much tuned out after that fake punt. The coaches need to understand that the players count on them to NOT do stupid crap that helps lose the game. When they do there is absolutely a letdown where the guys start looking sideways at the coaches. You're correct it took the air out of the team.. But not just the team.. It took the air out of a lot of us fans too. Most of us knew we were going to lose at that moment. We might have been holding out hope up to that point but once that happened it was game over.14 called running plays all game long.. In a game that was one score until the 4th quarter? Or was it late 3rd? Either way, the sheer unwillingness to even challenge Washington and make them play honest defense was inexcusable. You can't drop Dalton back 40-50 times with good protection and expect to win.. With no protection you have no chance. Line up in three tight ends and run the power I for all I care but just surrendering on the run completely is garbage.. I will probably watch the Baltimore game more to see Dez than anybody on our team. Now that he's on the permanent roster I at least have one guy I can watch and root for every week. I mean I will root for this team.. but I'm not expecting another win until Zack and Erving come back. And if we're eliminated, I question whether we would even bring Zack back.

I saw it even if it were sub conscious the defense let up and said ****..it was very obvious after that lay and looking back at an INT and Fumble also short fields the 4th and inches drive debacle the defense while they have been bad earlier inthe year the last 4 games showed up to play but hose final 2 drives they threw up the proverbial middle finger to the coaches..

cant blame them they have had that happen so regularly during the season its become common ie short fields. Nolan getting a o of heat and maybe he deserves some but really look back at all the short fields this offense and St have put them in , its no wonder they are appearing historically bad..

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yup.

Hey, I like Cee as a player, but he didn't make our team better. And no one will as long as we are getting owned on the LOS.

Lamb was a luxury pick which an 8-8 team with a gimpy LT shouldn't be drafting. We had just signed Amari to a mega contract.........it was a deep WR draft. Its just more stupid FO decisions. I'm used to it.

kskboys

Reaction score
I'm not so sure there isn't going to be a monster DT available at the top of this draft. The top teams in the SEC will all have at least two of them. Just take your pick.. Florida has two .. Bama has two.. I would draft any of those 4 guys in the top 10 and be happy about it. Stick them in a rotation with Hill, Woods, and Gallimore and I think we're doing big thangs. Ankou and Hamilton flashed for a minute but they are starting to show why they were practice squad guys.. Put them up against legit NFL o linemen and they get handled. We don't need a DE. Between Lawrence, Gregory and Aldon with a full offseason we have more than enough at that position.
This org doesn't understand the value big pocket collapsing DT's. They think every DT must be a slender slasher.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There are no current DTs, LBs, CBs or S in next year's draft worthy of a Top 10 overall pick, much less a Top 5 overall pick. So why not pick the best Olineman in the draft who is easily ranked in the Top 5 and can play both Tackle and Guard positions? Or would you rather overdraft for a defensive player not worthy of such a high pick? Cowboys are in big need of both a O-Tackle and/or an O-Guard as we have seen this season. Cowboys can use rounds 2-7 on Defense. Problem solved with best case scenario due to value of said positional players coming out of the draft.

I'm tired of "overdrafting". Not sure if that is hindsight...I'm not an expert.

It has to be a good mixture of evaluation, need, and BPA.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Lamb was a luxury pick which an 8-8 team with a gimpy LT shouldn't be drafting. We had just signed Amari to a mega contract.........it was a deep WR draft. Its just more stupid FO decisions. I'm used to it.
Dont care if a clone of Larry Allen was sitting there at 17, that draft pick wasnt going to make a difference for this team in 2020.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
This is why you don't spend first round picks on WRs and RBs. They are not primary positions. Zeke and CeeDee Lamb were the wrong picks for THIS team. When TN lost their all-pro tackle for the season, they had a first round rookie to plug in. They didn't fall apart. The logic wasn't " we got that position covered" going into the draft which is what the Dallas Cowboys do. That team understands that your skill position players are only as effective as your OL and injuries happen. Its better to have a great OT prospect as an insurance policy than a flashy WR or RB. Until you have depth along those trenches, you don't spend your premium picks on the flash positions.
Who are you picking with the 17th pick then?

cern

Reaction score
and yet many on this site have vilified the cowboys for spending so much on the offensive line. i doubt anyone could have foreseen the injuries to our o-line. what a waste were the selections of williams and mcgovern. so said the arm chair gm's. and now the naysayers have done a 180 and claim the cowboys didn't prepare for such an eventuality.