Losing builds character

sk0aL

Reaction score
Now I'm not one of those people who looks for silver linings or moral victories, but the last three weeks this team has been in a funk and how they respond and grow as a team will determine whether or not they have what it takes to win a championship.

Last year we were steamrolling and didn't face any real adversity at all until the playoffs. It's when you get kicked in the gut when you find out what you're made of.

You can blame the coaches all you want, but it's on the players to play with some fire in their belly. I say this because this team plays like they simply don't care, like they don't even practice during the week.

The Special Teams needs to get mad at the way they played.
The O-Line needs to get mad at the way they protected Tony.
Tony needs to get mad at the way he protected the football.
The secondary needs to get mad at the way they covered.

You have to get mad at losing. You have to despise defeat.

A dose of reality is what this team needed and they got it, we just have to wait and see how they use it.

Boysboy

Reaction score
sk0aL;2331252 said:
Now I'm not one of those people who looks for silver linings or moral victories, but the last three weeks this team has been in a funk and how they respond and grow as a team will determine whether or not they have what it takes to win a championship.

Last year we were steamrolling and didn't face any real adversity at all until the playoffs. It's when you get kicked in the gut when you find out what you're made of.

You can blame the coaches all you want, but it's on the players to play with some fire in their belly. I say this because this team plays like they simply don't care, like they don't even practice during the week.

A dose of reality is what this team needed and they got it, we just have to wait and see how they use it.

Same happened to the '05 Steelers that went 15-1 and crashed and burned at the end-the year after, they had BUMPY rides throughout the reg season, and looked like they were going to free fall at the end, but they turned it on when it COUNTED.

Same happened to Indy and NYG the last 2 years-up and down throughout, but it made them STRONGER.

Cochese

Benched
Reaction score
A dose of reality is what this team needed and they got it, we just have to wait and see how they use it

Wasnt this the popular excuse after the Washington game?

Kangaroo

Reaction score
JustSayNotoTO;2331286 said:
A dose of reality is what this team needed and they got it, we just have to wait and see how they use it

Wasnt this the popular excuse after the Washington game?

What about the Bengals game was that not a wake up call to

I mean this is 3 games in a row where the team has played like Garbage

Faerluna

I'm Complicated
Reaction score
sk0aL;2331252 said:

Totally agree with all of this.

Mansta54

Reaction score
sk0aL;2331252 said:

Excellent post!!! Losing is part of the season and as I said in other threads, our SB teams with the triplets lost games. It's part of the journey. This is a damn good team and we're in great shape...

Aven8

Reaction score
That would all be good and nice if we could do that...but this team hasn't shown that they are capable of any of that. Sometimes the team just needs a good foot in the you know what.

I've never said this on this forum........but Wade's not the guy.....I've think he's lost the team. Quite frankly.......Redball is not the guy either.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Losing builds character?

I guess the Bengals have a lot of character. And the Miami Dolphins sure had a lot of "character" last year.

Losing every once in a while can strengthen some character. Depends on how you learn and make up for it.

Novacek84

Reaction score
As a Boston Red Sox fan I can tell you this Cowboys team has very little character. Right now the Sox are the model for the "team" concept in sports. Dallas ain't got it. Too many stars and not enough "grunts." This Cowboy team needs to find its Pedroia and Youkilis to keep it from unraveling when times are rough. Barber and Witten could be those guys but they seem like silent leaders and not vocal motivators. Instead we get idiots like T.O. pointing fingers on the bench during the game. I've said from day one that Owens was a clown and I stand by that no matter how many TDs he scores. He's a cancer, pure and simple. I never wanted him here because its only a matter of time with him until the whining starts. Losing builds character is nonsense. It's a phrase that losers use as an excuse for on-field failure and the inability to adjust to bad situations.

Mansta54

Reaction score
morieeel;2331653 said:
If you can accept losing, you can't win.
Vince Lombardi

You don't accept it, you learn from it and progress throughout the season. You may lose again but you have to pick it up and keep working hard..

cowboybacker4life

Reaction score
You have no idea what you are talking about. T.O. was jumping in Gurodes but for his half arse effort he displayed out there on the field. This team needs more of T.O if anything. Watch before you speak

jimmy40

Reaction score
sk0aL;2331252 said:

Imposing your will on other teams builds character.

sweetness0986

Reaction score
Erm, didn't we have our kick in the gut 2 weeks ago?

I'm sorry, but if we didn't come back fired up after that Washington game, I'm not buying it right now.

Mansta54

Reaction score
Novacek84;2331534 said:
As a Boston Red Sox fan I can tell you this Cowboys team has very little character. Right now the Sox are the model for the "team" concept in sports. Dallas ain't got it. Too many stars and not enough "grunts." This Cowboy team needs to find its Pedroia and Youkilis to keep it from unraveling when times are rough. Barber and Witten could be those guys but they seem like silent leaders and not vocal motivators. Instead we get idiots like T.O. pointing fingers on the bench during the game. I've said from day one that Owens was a clown and I stand by that no matter how many TDs he scores. He's a cancer, pure and simple. I never wanted him here because its only a matter of time with him until the whining starts. Losing builds character is nonsense. It's a phrase that losers use as an excuse for on-field failure and the inability to adjust to bad situations.

Dude, did you even watch the game. What are you talking about...

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I'd rather have a bunch of guys who are characterless and 6-0

Boysboy

Reaction score
Novacek84;2331534 said:

While I agree with your assessment on Owens, you obviously didn't watch the game today. He was one of the few who showed fire and !leadership! throughout the course of the game.

Yeah, I know it sounds difficult to believe, but at least give him some props for doing so.

As for the "lack of leadership" on this team, you should be pointing fingers at guys like Bradie James...one of our team captains who show's NO heart.

Garland powerplay

Reaction score
This is what happens to a team that is too proud and arrogant for their own good. Not all players but enough to be in the national news everynight. They can't back it up on the field.

dre1614

Reaction score
Novacek84;2331534 said:

Disagree. Did you happen to see the Giants before they made that run in the playoffs? They were a average team and lost a LOT of close nail biters. Without those losses I think they don't win the Super Bowl. They got tougher from those losses.