Losing Witten would be crippling W/O replacement

PhillyCowboysFan

Reaction score
Ignoring the loss of Witten would be a huge mistake as Dak found out in 2018 when im sure plenty of Monday mornings he woke up sore from the beating he took on sunday.

I get the need to find a replacement for Witten but you are way overstating why Dak was sacked a lot in 2018. Witten wouldn’t even be pass blocking as he would be running he’s five yard curl routes. That offensive line was decimated by injury after injury that year. Yes Witten was missed on running plays as Jarwin seems to be horrible and yes with that line being so decimated it only magnified his lack of run blocking.

Yes I would love to have a Kielce,Goedert, Kettle, Andrews or Rudolph. But teams have thrived with non-blocking TE’s such as Graham, Ertz, Engram and Burton. So I’m not sure we would be crippled if we don’t replace Witten since our Oline is back.

JMPearson

Reaction score
You see if Jarwin can get job done if not you spend 2021 1st round pick on Pat Freiermuth.

Aven8

Reaction score
We did just fine last year when we won like 7 in a row to win the division, and a playoff game......

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I read all over this forum about Witten and how he's holding Jarwin back. But to be honest Jarwin is a nice compliment, but shouldnt be nowhere near a starter. He is unusable in the running game. And we know this because Dallas was a strictly inside run team in 2018. Why because the TEs couldnt block the outside.

And it doesnt limit the handicap only to the run game. Theres a reason Dak was sacked at a record pace in 2018 because TEs couldnt help in pass blocking either. It was horrible.

Jarwin is a nice guy to go out and run a seam or a out to the sideline and get forgotten about by the defense because he's not a threat. That would work for the team if he comes in, in situations but if he's a starter then he's not getting them suprise the defense situations.

This team needs a complete TE, theres a reason Dallas wanted Geodert with Witten moving to the booth.

As much as Witten declined with age, Jarwin isnt half the TE Witten is. Jarwin is a guy you bring in, in situations. Not a guy you depend on regularly.

IMO Cole Kmet is just what this team needs. And picking him at 17 would be a great for this team. I see needs on defense but this defense needs veteran leadership. They have plenty of young talent who arent ready to be leaders. The offense is full of vet leaders. With the cap this team has, go and pluck a couple of vets in FA for this defense that are able to lead on the field.

Ignoring the loss of Witten would be a huge mistake as Dak found out in 2018 when im sure plenty of Monday mornings he woke up sore from the beating he took on sunday.

Wrong again.

They were fine in the 2nd half of 2018 with Jarwin as the receiving TE and Schultz as the blocking TE.

Jarwin did improve as a blocker this season and Witten often struggled with blocking this season.

2020: Jarwin as the starter and draft a TE early.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Nice move to not stay on topic, but bringing in a player, that you incessantly nitpick.
You have no idea. You have no idea who I am or what I do. I’ve never nitpicked Elliot before. So get things right before you open your mouth please
And the person I gave my post to is a consistent Prescott hater . If you knew so much you know that

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
No, but he is better than the other TEs on the roster even now that he has slowed down.

I'll disagree here. He is on the roster and starting over Jarwin because of the FOs respect and fondness for Witten.

Witten no longer has speed. He doesn't block as well as better. He doesn't get first downs. He has also dropped passes in crucial situations.

Witten is no longer Witten. How long will the FO and some people cling onto that believe that he is irreplaceable? He is not.

conner01

Reaction score
According to Matt Miller column today
Cowboys st 17 looking DT, safety or trade back based on his league contacts.
I see safety and CB as being the positions of talent at 17 right now
Lots could change and guys could drop but those seem right now where the quality would be and we need both

Verdict

Reaction score
Jettison Witten and hope he plays for your competitor, pads his stats and hope he gets 3 yards and falls down on 3rd and 10, like he has for here for the past 5 years. Oh yeah, watch him yell OLE’ as he lets his defender disrupt the play.

khiladi

Reaction score
You mean Dak didn’t get sacked because his pocket presence is horrible when he doesn’t have top flight pass blocking?

I mean if we are going that route, maybe it wasn’t that Witten wasn’t here, but because Frederick was out and Williams was a rookie in 2018?

Also Zeke ran for over 1400 yards in 15 games.

khiladi

Reaction score
Are you ignoring the fact that this OC didnt run in the redzone? What this team built its offense around?

Dd you know that 6 our of Dallas 8 wins came with Elliot running over 100? The lone loss when he got 100 was vs the jets.

When you have incompetent coaching you get what got this yr. Nobody could stop Dallas from the 20 to the 20. Dallas rode Elliot from the 20-20 but when it got in the redzone Moore tried to get cute. We saw this over and over again.

Moore's playcalling in the redzone would literally leave announcers at a loss for words

this I completely agree with. But putting it on Moore exclusively with RPOs in play, is absurd.

Bigtommyb

Reaction score
I read all over this forum about Witten and how he's holding Jarwin back. But to be honest Jarwin is a nice compliment, but shouldnt be nowhere near a starter. He is unusable in the running game. And we know this because Dallas was a strictly inside run team in 2018. Why because the TEs couldnt block the outside.

And it doesnt limit the handicap only to the run game. Theres a reason Dak was sacked at a record pace in 2018 because TEs couldnt help in pass blocking either. It was horrible.

Jarwin is a nice guy to go out and run a seam or a out to the sideline and get forgotten about by the defense because he's not a threat. That would work for the team if he comes in, in situations but if he's a starter then he's not getting them suprise the defense situations.

This team needs a complete TE, theres a reason Dallas wanted Geodert with Witten moving to the booth.

As much as Witten declined with age, Jarwin isnt half the TE Witten is. Jarwin is a guy you bring in, in situations. Not a guy you depend on regularly.

IMO Cole Kmet is just what this team needs. And picking him at 17 would be a great for this team. I see needs on defense but this defense needs veteran leadership. They have plenty of young talent who arent ready to be leaders. The offense is full of vet leaders. With the cap this team has, go and pluck a couple of vets in FA for this defense that are able to lead on the field.

So you want to pick a TE at 17? It's not whether Jarwin is Witten, obviously Jarwin creates mismatches that Witten couldn't. It's about development. How can you say what Jarwin can be if he's held back from developing because of Witten's presence.

khiladi

Reaction score
What happened to Elliot. I thought he was the scoring machine

Elliott scores when he’s given the ball. He needs Dak to give him the ball, while Dak has his hands on the ball every play basically.