LT: Tyron LG: Peters

Proof

Reaction score
The Tyler smith penalties are annoying but Imo when we penciled him in as a starter we knew he was going to have a learning curve and some mistakes. Even with the penalties he’s had a good year.

Sure. But we also didn't have any other option. Now we do.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Comparing McGovern to Zack Martin be crazy man.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
Realistically? I like Smith at Guard next game with Peters at LT until Tyron gets back and takes over for him. Smitty really struggled with Thibodeaux on speed rushes
I think its because of rookie wall and also 2 games in 4 days. With a little more R&R he could have been better. Just my opinion.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
How's that coddling been working during the McCarthy era? Leaders of penalties back-to-back years and among the leaders in penalties for a 3rd year. Go play some golf.
yep, those penalties are killing us. My daughter was a 4 year varsity starter in basketball, league MVP, scored over 2k points in her career which is best in school history boy or girl. The opposing coaches used to always whine about how much she went to the free throw line. She went to the line 25 times in a playoff game(honestly that is about what should have been her avg, even though it was about 10 times per game)..... but it was simple. There was nobody better at ball handling and ATTACKING the defense. That resulted in people hacking her.

Use that same mentality here. We have, imo, one of the three most aggressive defenses in the NFL, that is going to result in penalties. Add one more thing in here that is also overlooked IMO. You did just see that our Thanksgiving game was the most watched game in tv history for the regular season? You dont think the officials dont know this? You dont think the officials feel a little pressure to call all the close calls? You think it was a coincidence that at last years NATIONALLY Televised Thanksgiving game against the Raiders is when we set the franchise record for penalties?

The penalties I care about the most are the horrible pass interference or NON pass interference calls that happen at crucial times. There is no doubt Lamb was mugged on that 4th down play in OT and no call. It isnt penalties that kill you, its when the penalties are called that is the killer. How many 3rd down plays where the giants failed to get a first down resulted in cheap penalties that kept their drives alive?

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
Sure. But we also didn't have any other option. Now we do.

i mean they drafted him based off his talent knowing he committed a ton of penalties in college….clearly it wasn’t an issue for them in the decision making process.

he’s also played pretty well overall and is on a rookie deal and in the long term plans. Team has been successful with him. One of your “options” is hoping Tyron comes back and stays healthy and is in mid season form….the other is 40.

id say he’s one of our best options right now

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Realistically? I like Smith at Guard next game with Peters at LT until Tyron gets back and takes over for him. Smitty really struggled with Thibodeaux on speed rushes
Contrary to his reputation, Tyron has struggled with speed rushers the last couple of seasons.

lukemartin79

Reaction score
Hes exceeded expectations all year, he's been great. He had his first bad game, thats all. It happens. Hell, even future Hall of Famer Martin got a penalty Thur.

Haimerej

Reaction score
I have watched quite a few video breakdowns and just don't find him getting beat any more than anyone else. Most clips show him doing a nice job one on one and working with Smith & TB on combo blocks. A couple times the defense has widened Smith then looped another defender outside the G's shoulder while he was helping TB and he couldn't quite get the cutoff. But most of those plays have taken so long that the ball still came out.

I mean Zach gets beat too. But none of them have been getting beat very often.

Keep in mind most breakdowns online aren't showing every play. The guy breaking down Tyler (he's done 6 videos on him including the draft) has been saying he's elite since the draft. He has incentive to back up his draft analysis.

There's only 1 player in the NFL who has had more flags against him than Tyler. Tyler has 10 flags, 8 accepted penalties. He leads the league with 6 holding penalties. He's right on pace for Connor Williams' totals last year (17 flags).

Every lineman in the league can look All-Pro if you pick the right plays. Yeah, Tyler is a rookie and we can hope he gets better. But prior to Philbin, Connor Williams never had more than 6 flags in a season. This year in Miami he only has 4 so far.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
yep, those penalties are killing us. My daughter was a 4 year varsity starter in basketball, league MVP, scored over 2k points in her career which is best in school history boy or girl. The opposing coaches used to always whine about how much she went to the free throw line. She went to the line 25 times in a playoff game(honestly that is about what should have been her avg, even though it was about 10 times per game)..... but it was simple. There was nobody better at ball handling and ATTACKING the defense. That resulted in people hacking her.

Use that same mentality here. We have, imo, one of the three most aggressive defenses in the NFL, that is going to result in penalties. Add one more thing in here that is also overlooked IMO. You did just see that our Thanksgiving game was the most watched game in tv history for the regular season? You dont think the officials dont know this? You dont think the officials feel a little pressure to call all the close calls? You think it was a coincidence that at last years NATIONALLY Televised Thanksgiving game against the Raiders is when we set the franchise record for penalties?

The penalties I care about the most are the horrible pass interference or NON pass interference calls that happen at crucial times. There is no doubt Lamb was mugged on that 4th down play in OT and no call. It isnt penalties that kill you, its when the penalties are called that is the killer. How many 3rd down plays where the giants failed to get a first down resulted in cheap penalties that kept their drives alive?
100%!!!

:hammer::hammer:

Proof

Reaction score
i mean they drafted him based off his talent knowing he committed a ton of penalties in college….clearly it wasn’t an issue for them in the decision making process.

he’s also played pretty well overall and is on a rookie deal and in the long term plans. Team has been successful with him. One of your “options” is hoping Tyron comes back and stays healthy and is in mid season form….the other is 40.

id say he’s one of our best options right now

Yeah I'm aware. But they drafted him to play guard and eventual LT of the future, and to try to coach up some of his tendencies. Instead they were forced to play him at LT immediately. Now they have the luxury of reverting to the original plan if they like. He may be a better option than Tyron or Peters, but he's absolutely a better option than McGovern. Whatever they decide to do I'm fine with. Was just commenting on why they penciled him in initially.

FVSTONE

Reaction score
If Tyler Smith & McGovern continues to get penalties then they should be benched for Tyron at LT & Peters at LG to solidify the OL.
Tyler has done a solid job at the LT spot and has earned the right to keep his position, as for the LG spot why not try Tyron Smith there when he returns.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Keep in mind most breakdowns online aren't showing every play. The guy breaking down Tyler (he's done 6 videos on him including the draft) has been saying he's elite since the draft. He has incentive to back up his draft analysis.

There's only 1 player in the NFL who has had more flags against him than Tyler. Tyler has 10 flags, 8 accepted penalties. He leads the league with 6 holding penalties. He's right on pace for Connor Williams' totals last year (17 flags).

Every lineman in the league can look All-Pro if you pick the right plays. Yeah, Tyler is a rookie and we can hope he gets better. But prior to Philbin, Connor Williams never had more than 6 flags in a season. This year in Miami he only has 4 so far.

I agree. Some of the video's weren't actually focused on the Oline or a particular player though. Penalties have to get cleaned up but otherwise they are playing pretty well.