Luck Staying in School

AbeBeta

Reaction score
The Realist;3788570 said:
You don't have to take the classes at Stanford to complete the degree. I know plenty of people who have been 1-3 classes away and completed them at campus B, but still got the degree from campus A.

And Stanford is far, far more flexible than you make it sound. They are at the forefront of online and distance learning programs. A lot of part-time/online Master's Degrees offered in the hard sciences and other areas. They even have a 4 year HS program online for gifted students.

He has an entire semester of senior year courses. That isn't the sort of thing you just complete elsewhere and get a university to approve. In fact, there are few universities that would allow that amount of course transfer for Senior-level courses and thesis work. 1-3 courses is very different than a full year of classes.

Being at the forefront of distance education really is irrelevant here. Is his program one that offers that option? Likely not.

PABoysFan

Reaction score
TheRat;3786650 said:
Getting a Stanford degree is worth staying in school. But staying in school to try to win a football game - a significant game but a football game nonetheless - is dumb. He would make tens of millions of dollars. I hope he is staying in school because he wants to get his degree.

Actually I hope it's not about the degree. That degree is the ticket that allows him to pursue a career in the field of architecture design. I hope he has loftier goals or collegiate achievements that he's willing to trade a year of his career in the NFL for than simply the opportunity to be an architecture designer upon graduation.
Now I don't know the kid and maybe architecture has been a lifelong dream of his. If so then I wish him the best in getting his degree in that field.
If the NFL is his dream then I don't personally understand his choice.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
Dallas;3787936 said:
Those like a few in this thread who chase the material objects of this world will say that he is an idiot.

I on the other hand feel that the kid is getting the best degree that he can and the millions will follow. I comend him for doing so.

Not everyone reaches for the millions. Not every road is paved in gold.

Good choice Mr. Luck

What good is that degree going to be to him? I ask honestly because to me it makes no sense that he would place getting his degree, regardless of how "prestigious" it might be from Stanford, ahead of being the #1 pick in the NFL draft.

Assuming he will be coming out in 2012 and play pro football for 10+ years, what benefit will his degree be to him after his playing days are over? Is he thinking that at 35 his degree from 10+ years ago will help him land a great job? What company is going to hire a guy in his mid/late 30s that hasn't worked a single day in his field with a degree he earned 10+ years ago? How much of what he learned will still be relevant?

I work for free (my wife and I are volunteer ministers and innkeepers) so for me it certainly isn't about the money, I just don't see the benefit for this kid in passing up a once in a lifetime opportunity for a degree that will not be worth much when the time comes to use it.

Also, he CAN always get his degree after his playing days despite what some here think. There have been hundreds of athletes that have gone back and finished their degree after entering pro sports.

Nirvana

Reaction score
Haven't heard it discussed anywhere but I would think an Insurance policy could be taken out by the Luck family that pays out if Luck suffers a career ending injury in his last year at Stanford.

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
If Luck entered the supplemental draft (don't know all eligibility rules) and by luck of the draw, Dallas was first in the 6 wins or less group, would you spend next year's pick on him?

burmafrd

Reaction score
What good is that degree to him? Will you people listen to yourselves. Football is not that important, nor is money. And remember no matter what its pretty certain that HALF OF HIS LIFE will be after football.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
dallasfaniac;3789091 said:
If Luck entered the supplemental draft (don't know all eligibility rules) and by luck of the draw, Dallas was first in the 6 wins or less group, would you spend next year's pick on him?

Yes, but it wont matter. We still wouldnt get him. Every team that needs a QB that picks before us would put in the 1st rd bid on him.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
THUMPER;3789069 said:
What good is that degree going to be to him? I ask honestly because to me it makes no sense that he would place getting his degree, regardless of how "prestigious" it might be from Stanford, ahead of being the #1 pick in the NFL draft.

Assuming he will be coming out in 2012 and play pro football for 10+ years, what benefit will his degree be to him after his playing days are over? Is he thinking that at 35 his degree from 10+ years ago will help him land a great job? What company is going to hire a guy in his mid/late 30s that hasn't worked a single day in his field with a degree he earned 10+ years ago? How much of what he learned will still be relevant?

I work for free (my wife and I are volunteer ministers and innkeepers) so for me it certainly isn't about the money, I just don't see the benefit for this kid in passing up a once in a lifetime opportunity for a degree that will not be worth much when the time comes to use it.

Also, he CAN always get his degree after his playing days despite what some here think. There have been hundreds of athletes that have gone back and finished their degree after entering pro sports.

Different people have different motivations and priorities. The degree is probably important to him, although I'm quite sure the chance for a national title and Heisman Trophy are on his mind too.

And maybe in his mind he needs another yr. He's only been the starter for two seasons. he has two years of eligibility left.

The Realist

Reaction score
AbeBeta;3788721 said:
He has an entire semester of senior year courses. That isn't the sort of thing you just complete elsewhere and get a university to approve. In fact, there are few universities that would allow that amount of course transfer for Senior-level courses and thesis work. 1-3 courses is very different than a full year of classes.

Being at the forefront of distance education really is irrelevant here. Is his program one that offers that option? Likely not.

I think he did the right thing by staying.

How do we know he has a full load of classes to take.

A semester could be 1-5 classes.

D-Mass15

Reaction score
thats a lot of money he is passing up by not entering the draft this year but i will never will talk bad about someone finishing school out to get an education.

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
dbair1967;3789112 said:
Yes, but it wont matter. We still wouldnt get him. Every team that needs a QB that picks before us would put in the 1st rd bid on him.

In the supplemental draft, they divide the teams into tiers and draw a lottery . We fall into the first group with 6 or less wins so we only get 24 tickets entered in the lottery while Carolina gets 32. Our 1st rounder could actually hold the most weight when all is said and done.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
THUMPER;3789069 said:

Who says it is once in a life time? He will still go to the NFL but will do so on his term.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
burmafrd;3789096 said:
What good is that degree to him? Will you people listen to yourselves. Football is not that important, nor is money. And remember no matter what its pretty certain that HALF OF HIS LIFE will be after football.

So hes studying things that earn minimum-wade then?

Nirvana

Reaction score
I think it's more about competing for a National Championship personally. And not wanting to move to North Carolina and play for a losing team.

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
Just to be clear with why I keep bringing up supplemental draft: By not declaring, he can watch the CBA discussions and just return to school if there is a lockout. If there isn't a lockout, he can sign with an agent thereby making him ineligible to return to college, enter the supplemental draft and still get his huge contract because most likely, any sort of rookie cap wouldn't take place until 2012, after he had already signed his 1st contract. By enterring the supplemental draft, he could also potentially avoid being drafted by Carolina without having to pull a d-bag move like Eli.

braw

Reaction score
why people fail to notice that Luck is not ready for the NFL yet. No great or good QB playing now went and played only 2 years and became what they were. only Aaron from greenbay played 2 yrs but sat for 3 yrs in the pros.

The money, the degree, the 1st player drafted will still come when he is ready.

Manning, Brady, Bress, Big Ben, Rivers all went 3 or 4 years to school. Its a maturation process he needs to go through. Thats why he is at Stanford and his coach says he is an intelligent player because he doesnt rush to make poor decisions based on money, draft status, or his degree.

Playing one more year will be a great decision for learning and polishing of his skills; especially when the pressure will be on and expectations will be high. Great move by the young man

Doomsday101

Reaction score
braw;3789276 said:
why people fail to notice that Luck is not ready for the NFL yet. No great or good QB playing now went and played only 2 years and became what they were. only Aaron from greenbay played 2 yrs but sat for 3 yrs in the pros.

The money, the degree, the 1st player drafted will still come when he is ready.

Manning, Brady, Bress, Big Ben, Rivers all went 3 or 4 years to school. Its a maturation process he needs to go through. Thats why he is at Stanford and his coach says he is an intelligent player because he doesnt rush to make poor decisions based on money, draft status, or his degree.

Playing one more year will be a great decision for learning and polishing of his skills; especially when the pressure will be on and expectations will be high. Great move by the young man

True. NFL is not going anywhere it will be here next season as well. I also think if a guy can afford to enjoy the college experiance then he should once you leave it is over with. the NFL such a bottom line business enjoy the college game as long as you can.

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
braw;3789276 said:
Manning, Brady, Bress, Big Ben, Rivers all went 3 or 4 years to school.

How many of these guys had their coach leave for the NFL while they were concensus 1st overall selection in the draft?

DFWJC

Reaction score
THUMPER;3789069 said:

You are projecting your values and standards onto him. It's not at all so straight forward Thump.

If it were me, I too may go with most of what you are saying--IF it was for me. But it's not, so that pretty much ends it.

braw

Reaction score
dallasfaniac;3789291 said:
How many of these guys had their coach leave for the NFL while they were concensus 1st overall selection in the draft?

That does not matter. His overall football game needs more work. Two years experience is not enough for the NFL. Because when he comes out it will be to a very poor team that will thrust him to start from day 1 and it will be a disaster. He needs more seasoning as far as his game goes. Not having his coach is a great test for him cuz in the NFL he will have turn over especially OC.