Magic Johnson and Isiah Thomas emotional reconciliation

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
I'm not a 100% sure but i'm thinking things got nasty between 88-89 finals, i think they said some nasty stuff to each other. If that's really what it was it seems very silly to wait this long to fix it. Better late than never.

Yea and it got worst around 92 with the dream team. In essence, I *think* Magic and Isaiah were still friends, but maybe a bit rocky at that point, and Jordan more or less said if they wanted him on the dream team, it meant no Isaiah. If I was Isaiah I would have been extremely upset at Magic for not coming out and defending me, so I kinda get it.

All it would have taken was him telling a reporter that, the only way this team would be better, is if Isaiah was here. I get why he didn't necessarily do that, but I would be hurt nonetheless

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I'm a little lost. Why did they need to do this?[/

Silly Sh to be honest.......don't remember exact details but I know one accusing the other of being gay was one issue. Bottom line you had two huge egos that let jealousy and small talk destroyed their friendship.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Yea and it got worst around 92 with the dream team. In essence, I *think* Magic and Isaiah were still friends, but maybe a bit rocky at that point, and Jordan more or less said if they wanted him on the dream team, it meant no Isaiah. If I was Isaiah I would have been extremely upset at Magic for not coming out and defending me, so I kinda get it.[/QUO'

Thought they DID NOT want Jordan on the team........

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
If Magic would have stood up for Isiah about the dream team stuff it would have caused a major conflict and 90% of Americans wanted Jordan to play.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
If Magic would have stood up for Isiah about the dream team stuff it would have caused a major conflict and 90% of Americans wanted Jordan to play.

I agree, I'm not sure how much people still held the Larry Bird comments against him, so I'm not even convinced the NBA wanted him on the team, but Magic could have said it after they won the gold. He could have said it at any point between 1992-2018, and it was true, the team would have been better with Isaiah as opposed to Christian Laettner, but he didn't and I'm willing to bet that was a huge issue with Isaiah.

And fwiw, Thomas denies ever questioning Magic's sexuality. Not sure who is telling the truth, but I don't know if it's accurate that Thomas did.

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
I agree, I'm not sure how much people still held the Larry Bird comments against him, so I'm not even convinced the NBA wanted him on the team, but Magic could have said it after they won the gold. He could have said it at any point between 1992-2018, and it was true, the team would have been better with Isaiah as opposed to Christian Laettner, but he didn't and I'm willing to bet that was a huge issue with Isaiah.

And fwiw, Thomas denies ever questioning Magic's sexuality. Not sure who is telling the truth, but I don't know if it's accurate that Thomas did.
Yea it shouldn't have taken this long.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score

I didn't want Thomas on that team.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wish kids today could have seen Isiah in his prime. He would dominate in todays defenseless NBA.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
A lot of people didn't like Isaiah Thomas, but I'm willing to bet him being on the team would not have lead to one less person watching any less

Of course not. And he would been a better player than Laettner was on the Dream Team. I just didn’t like him.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A lot of people didn't like Isaiah Thomas, but I'm willing to bet him being on the team would not have lead to one less person watching any less

He was the ring leader of a team nicknamed "the bad boys". They were hated by everyone outside of Detroit. Isiah was a baby faced assassin, and played with an unmatched intensity.

Isiah and Joe Dumars have got to be one the best back court tandems in NBA history. In fact, I can't think of another that dominated on both ends of the floor like they did. They won back to back titles in 89-90. Unfortunately, for Isiah, his prime coincided with the rise of Michael Jordan who despised him and kept him off the original Dream Team.

TheBigEasy

Reaction score
As a die hard Celtic fan and growing up in this era, I could not stand Isiah or Magic. I hated these guys just because they wore a different color jersey than the one I was a fan of. I now respect the heck out of these two guys. The NBA will never be the same and I feel bad for the kids of today because what they think is basketball is nothing but a money grab. They will never see an NBA where guys lay everything on the line for nothing but to win. You could have paid Bird a $100 for a season and he would have given the same 110% effort. I truly miss that NBA.

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
As a die hard Celtic fan and growing up in this era, I could not stand Isiah or Magic. I hated these guys just because they wore a different color jersey than the one I was a fan of. I now respect the heck out of these two guys. The NBA will never be the same and I feel bad for the kids of today because what they think is basketball is nothing but a money grab. They will never see an NBA where guys lay everything on the line for nothing but to win. You could have paid Bird a $100 for a season and he would have given the same 110% effort. I truly miss that NBA.
The NBA is actually getting better again now. Refs are calling less fouls which makes the games better.