Mahomes Contract is actually less than the Cowboys Offered Dak

hlh_8728

Reaction score
Less as a percent of the salary cap over the period of the contract(s).
  • Mahomes' Contract
    • Mahomes new money is 450M over 10 years with the 10 years starting in 2022.
    • The NFL salary cap has increased on average 6.52 percent over the past 10 years.
    • Using the same 6.52 percent, the NFL cap projects to average 303.76M the 10 year period.
    • Mahomes 45M average is 14.8 percent the projected NFL cap.
  • Dak's Contract
    • A 5 year contract for Dak at 35M would be 16.4 percent of the projected cap.
    • If Dak's agent wants to use Mahomes' contract as a basis for a 5 year contract for Dak:
      • 33.5M over 5 years is the same 14.8 percent of the cap as Mahomes' contract.

I think the percentage of the cap metric is a bit broken in this example.

Players care about guaranteed money (the earlier the better)

“Mahomes will be fully guaranteed $63 million at signing and will have $103.5 million guaranteed by March of 2021 and $141.4 million guaranteed by March of 2022“

I haven’t seen a full breakdown of Dak’s offer but he isn’t getting 141.4 guarantee by 2022.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
What you’re saying is they’re not sold on Dak. Not at 35 million. Not as much as they were with Amari, Lawrence and Zeke.
I don't have a answer for why they are handling this the way they are. It doesn't personally make sense to me. They got Jaylon Smith done before Zeke and Dak. So I don't know.......I wasn't even aware Jaylon needed a contract...I know his deal was coming up as well but I didn't think he played well enough to warrant jumping in front of it.

mrcowboys40

Reaction score
what happens to players contracts if the season isn't played this year, does it rollover into next year?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Most fans accept that at present, Russell Wilson is a better QB than Dak. So, why would you pay a lesser player more? I'm not able to make sense out of that line of thinking.
Because Dak is 26 years old and Russell is 31. Age is a factor as well.

Not only that....but if Russell Wilson's contract was up right now? He would not get 35 he would get much closer to the 45 Mahomes got.

Jared Goff got 33.5 million and Aaron Rodgers got 33.5 But you do understand why they are paid the same right now right?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
You said that the team made a mistake by not offering him 28-30.
Yes. They should've. My point is...the time to offer him the deal they want to pay him isn't when he's showcased himself and raised his value. Its not smart business and they know it which is why they are trying to get him on that 35 million dollar deal at 5 years.

erod

Reaction score
105.3 The Fan said their sources told them Dak would not accept the deal Mahomes got.

Just leave him on the tag and be done with it. Best for all parties.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Most fans accept that at present, Russell Wilson is a better QB than Dak. So, why would you pay a lesser player more? I'm not able to make sense out of that line of thinking.

People said the same when Matt Stafford became the highest paid QB ever at one point. The QB market is what it is.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Had they offered him the the same deal now they could've got him. They were too worried about Amari, Lawrence and Zeke......

This is some strange logic. The same deal Prescott has rejected this season he was going to take just before the season started last season. He rejected it this season but wouldn't have rejected it last season. You go ahead and keep thinking that if it helps you.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yep but common sense doesn’t always apply. Emotions get in the way for some.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Because Dak is 26 years old and Russell is 31. Age is a factor as well.

Not only that....but if Russell Wilson's contract was up right now? He would not get 35 he would get much closer to the 45 Mahomes got.

Jared Goff got 33.5 million and Aaron Rodgers got 33.5 But you do understand why they are paid the same right now right?
It’s not a given Russell would get 45 now. Don’t agree. I think Mahomes is valued that much more and deservedly so. 35 is the Bar for the rest this year.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
This is some strange logic. The same deal Prescott has rejected this season he was going to take just before the season started last season. He rejected it this season but wouldn't have rejected it last season. You go ahead and keep thinking that if it helps you.
Was it not reported the deal they are offering now was the same deal Dak and his team wanted earlier in the season? Prior to the season?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
It’s not a given Russell would get 45 now. Don’t agree. I think Mahomes is valued that much more and deservedly so. 35 is the Bar for the rest this year.
I disagree. I think you guys get too stuck on people being paid what their talent is. Not at all. Goff and Wentz weren't paid based on what they had shown at this point because if they were it wouldn't have been that high.

Those guys got what they got because of their potential and what they mean to those organizations. Goff was a 1st overall pick and Wentz had numerous 1st rounders traded for him.

Russell IS the Seattle Seahawks. He's their heart and soul. He is there Mahomes. Is he good as Mahomes? No. Has he proven that he can without the Legion of Boom? No. But none of that matters. Seattle would pay him whatever he asked.

And I think this will be proven to be the same with Watson. If he's out to get paid the most money....his deal is going to be closer to Mahomes then what Carson Wentz got. Maybe somewhere in the middle. I would not be shocked to see Watson sign for 40 million per year. Not at all.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I disagree. I think you guys get too stuck on people being paid what their talent is. Not at all. Goff and Wentz weren't paid based on what they had shown at this point because if they were it wouldn't have been that high.

Those guys got what they got because of their potential and what they mean to those organizations. Goff was a 1st overall pick and Wentz had numerous 1st rounders traded for him.

Russell IS the Seattle Seahawks. He's their heart and soul. He is there Mahomes. Is he good as Mahomes? No. Has he proven that he can without the Legion of Boom? No. But none of that matters. Seattle would pay him whatever he asked.

And I think this will be proven to be the same with Watson. If he's out to get paid the most money....his deal is going to be closer to Mahomes then what Carson Wentz got. Maybe somewhere in the middle. I would not be shocked to see Watson sign for 40 million per year. Not at all.
But your basing your thought on what you evaluate their talent level to be. Wentz and Goff are considered more talented than Dak by those outside of the Cowboy fans bubble.

And if Watson is offered a deal near Mahomes then it will because he’s considered near as talented. Which I don’t believe he is at this time but others might. Jackson is another who could end up closer to that higher level with Watson. I think both are valued more than Dak at this time.

I’m one who believes Dak talent level is in that lower 30 million range.

NFL.
NFL's highest paid quarterbacks (average salary per year):
  • 1. Chiefs QB Patrick Mahomes: $45 million
  • 2. Seahawks QB Russell Wilson: $35 million
  • 3. Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger: $34 million
  • 4.Packers QB Aaron Rodgers: $33.5 million
  • 4. Rams QB Jared Goff: $33.5 million
  • 6. Vikings QB Kirk Cousins: $33 million
  • 7. Eagles QB Carson Wentz: $32 million
  • 8. Cowboys QB Dak Prescott: $$30.1 million
  • 0. Falcons QB Matt Ryan: $30 million
  • 10. Titans QB Ryan Tannehill: $29.5 million

glimmerman

Reaction score
105.3 The Fan said their sources told them Dak would not accept the deal Mahomes got.

Just leave him on the tag and be done with it. Best for all parties.
His agents got him convinced that in 4 years he will be able to get him mahomes money. Cash in twice. He would only be right if he got a team to playoffs and SB a few times in that 4 years.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
His agents got him convinced that in 4 years he will be able to get him mahomes money. Cash in twice. He would only be right if he got a team to playoffs and SB a few times in that 4 years.
Yea, Mahomes wouldn’t even have been offered an extension yet if he hadn’t won a SB and a MVP. It’s all about winning.